Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fitting 'tight' tyres – any tips?
  • stevious

Just fixing a puncture on my commuter and having a total mare getting the tyre to sit back on the rim. Other than just pushing really hard are there any little tricks to make my life easier?

It's road bike tyres/rims. More used to (much easier) MTB tyres.

steelfan
    Free Member

pinch the tyre together all the way round the rim so it sits further into the depression of the rim then with the section of tyre that is not going on have it lying flat facing away from you then from the opposite side stretch the tyre from both directions round the rim towards the point where the tyre is not going on and it should pop straight on. Hope this helps.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Make sure the last bit of tyre is that adjacent to the valve so that the tyre bead can sit right down in to the well of the rim round the circumference.

Pierre

I would:

– put the tube inside the tyre before putting the tyre near the rim. Inflate it only very slightly so that it just holds its shape. This should prevent you pinching it on its way in; you can always let a little air out if it's tough to fit

– put the valve through the rim hole and fit one bead (one side of the tyre) starting at the valve and working round to the far side. You should not need a tyre lever for this bit. This side is now done.

– starting from opposite the valve, begin to fit the other bead. Work evenly on both sides towards the valve. When things begin to get difficult, go back to where you started on this side and push the bead further "into" the rim so that it goes into the well in the middle of the rim. This should give you a little more bead to work with near the valve side as the middle of the rim (in cross section) is a smaller diameter so you have a bit more bead available at the other side near the valve.

– be careful not to pinch the tube. If it's really tough to fit, let a little air out of the tube and see if it gets easier. You shouldn't need tyre levers.

Hope this helps. Like I said, that's what I would do. I've worked in the bike trade for quite a few years and have removed and fitted thousands of tyres, literally. Once you get into the habit of doing it "the easy way" then you can fit (and often remove) most tyres without having to use tyre levers – although, of course, a few tyres are really awkward even _with_ levers.

One last thing: when you inflate the tyre, put only about 15-20psi in it then check all the way round the bead on both sides of the tyre to make sure it's seated properly. The ridged or striped band on the tyre should be evenly visible all the way round – any narrow bits or bulges and you need to pull the tyre about to even it out, otherwise you increase the risk of a blowout or tyre rolloff.

: P

topper

Use a bit of that 'king of shaves' shave oil on the tyre bead. Remember to clean off well if you have rim brakes.

Topper

Talkemada
    Free Member

All this is rubbish advice.

What you really want to do, is tackle it at 11.30 pm, after a few beers, struggle like a bastard with it, use 4 tyre levers, swear, shout, scream and cry, then lob the whole thing across the kitchen, and slump into a corner, sobbing.

jonb
    Free Member

Lok at the stans no tubes sites. He teaches you how to put a tyre on in a video. I can now do most of mine without levers.

Failing that use a big metal lever and brute force.

stevious

Thanks all. Tyre fitting will be far less stressful in the future!

richcc
    Free Member

Get yourself a big set of these!

(PSA – googling for 'big thumbs' brings up some surprising results)

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Lol @ Talkemada – I have a bmx wheel with a tyre that took me three goes over a fornight to do. And when I did, the axle won't go into the dropout, (No flat spot on the axle) and I can't even swap the axle with one that does as it's sealed bearings and I've not worked out how to remove axle from wheel yet..

I fond a couple of beers goes get the rage flowing nicely – bloodshot eyes, sweat, dirt and oil everywhere – especially on something cream left lying about like a jumper or towel…

fackit
    Free Member

The 'notubes' website is no good so don't waste your time.

Grease up the tyre, put the wheel on the floor and push down on the side of the rim you have already fitted the bead in to whilst you fit the opposite tight side.

Use the minimum of force you can get away with, using either thumbs or levers.

MoreCashThanDash

I'm with talkemada on this one!

Glad it's not just me that finds road tyres a right bogger!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fitting 'tight' tyres – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.