• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Fitting new grips – basic help needed
  • rossrobot
    Free Member

Any top tips for removing old grips, and fitting new ones? I've heard something about using hairspray?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I use these – cheap and good – recommended by other STW users 🙂

Just cut the old grips off if you can't get them off – or squirt wd40 under the grips and work them off?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oops double post

rossrobot
    Free Member

Thanks Foxyrider – super helpful.

Edric64
    Free Member

cut old ones off with a stanley knife fit new with hairspray as it sets

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I use a track pump to lift of my old ones – I don't use lock-ons though. I would have thought it doesn't work with those.

alexxx
    Free Member

I dont see why everyone isnt using lockons now they make life 1000x easier, what am i missing?

qwerty
    Free Member

cut em off – disc brake cleaner them on

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Narrow bladed screwdriver under grip edge, slide in straw off can of WD40/GT85. Squirt a little in. Pretty quickly gives slack under grip, either work it round or push straw in further and/or add another squirt. Keep going and they soon slide easily off.

I wouldn't (personally) cut off as it'd probably score the underlying metal with the blade tip. Not saying this is significant but I'd rather avoid doing so.

Discard new packet of regular grips and go spend some more money on lockons, just a whole world easier and quicker. IMO life is just too short to fanny around with "old style" grips / hairspray / spray paint etc 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I don't use lock ons because I don't like the collar at the end of the bar pressing into my hand, plus I don't have problems with 'spinny' grips anyway.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Another user of hairspray, I have a dedicated Tesco Value can and no one in the house uses the stuff normally.

Use a small allen key or similar to spray some under the grip, rotate to work it off. I have also used, sticking the bar in a bowl of hot water to get some more difficult ones off in the past.

schmiken

I dont see why everyone isnt using lockons now they make life 1000x easier, what am i missing?

They're much heavier than ESI or foam grips, and some of us have our weightweenie pride!

IainGillam
    Free Member

Electrical tape on the bars wash the grips out with petrol or disc brake cleaner and slide on. The petrol melts the glue in the electrical tape to leave a very sticky mess and bonds them on strongly. If you are still worried about them slipping lockwire them, at two or three places on the grips wrap the wire round twice and twist the ends round until tight not forgetting to cut off the excess and push the end into the grip to avoid it snagging your glove.

If you do decide to go down the lock on route 20 euro cents fits very nicely as a bar end!

Iain

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I don't use lock ons as I often grip the very end of the bars on climbs, and I don't like the rings digging in my palms.

Hairspray, cheaper the better, more glue, less perfume.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Foxy, they look exactly like my Ragley ones, 'cept they say superstar on, how much do those ones cost?

I use tf2 / gt85 on and off, although now using lock-ons (which required a hammer…)

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

yep lift a bit up with a knife or something and spray hairspray into the grip and twist off 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"I dont see why everyone isnt using lockons now"

Not as comfy, really. A little more expensive too. But agree they make fitting so easy.

sam42
    Free Member

fitting lock ons needed a hammer? we're talkin about fitting a set of grips here?

a bit of elbow grease is the only lube you should need when takin your old grips off, worst case scenario cut em off…
    as for the new uns, just fit them dry and gradually work them on, it's all technique.

mangatank
    Free Member

Changed my grips to lock-ons yesterday for the first time. Hard to see why this isn't the best solution for grips. So easy.

And if you're gripping the end of the bars, surely it's time for some sort of bar-end on there? Even short ones make all the difference.

Jamie
    Free Member

Foxy, they look exactly like my Ragley ones, 'cept they say superstar on, how much do those ones cost?

£7.99….Quite a few colours out of stock at the mo tho….not a problem if like me you just want black ones 8)

I get mine via their eBay shop.

brant
    Free Member

Aside from the obvious difference (they say Superstar on), Ragley grips have a solid alloy end cap, rather than an open end with a plastic plug that I think Superstar are using. This was important to me when I specced them. It might not be important to you.

I used this open design on the Brand X grips for CRC too – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40745

All grips mentioned here are made by Propalm – http://www.biketaiwan.com/database/tbdb.asp?custid=001080

thebunk

For folk worried about comfort, you can get single sided lock ons?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Why would I want to bother if I don't have a problem with spinny grips?

thebunk

p.s. Swarovski crystal encrusted bar ends! (from brants link)

simon_g

Oooh, they do a clone of the (£40!) Brooks leather grips too.

DezB
    Free Member

The new design ODI Lock-Jaw end caps are great. So much more comfortable than the old plastic screw-in jobs. Shame they aren't retro-fittable. And £11 for replacements.. ha ha.

Also Gee Atherton didn't want any end-caps so specced these for Pro http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44923

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Fitting new grips – basic help needed’ is closed to new replies.