Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fitting a works Component Headset, advice needed please….
  • granny_ring

Had a few goes fitting it to my HL 5 spot with my cyclus press and the cup rotates each time, even when pulling the headset cup in and not pushing it in with the rotating handle end if you see what I mean.

I didn’t have time to persevere with it today but it’s a right PITA, would normally be a 10 minute job. So do I ……

1 – Use some wood and hammer?
    2 – See if I can use my bench vice to push the cups in?
    3 – Keep plugging away with the headset press?

Not really keen about options 1 or 2 but would like to get it fitted sooner rather than later 🙄

TIA

scaredypants

get some pipe grips and hold it steady ?

(I imagine it goes without saying that I’ve neither fitted nor even seen one before)

JoeG
    Free Member

I don’t have a headset press, so had the LBS fit mine as it was an expensive frame. They said that they had a tough time getting it all lined up properly and it took them several attempts till they got it right with a regular headset press. Worth it though as the bike handles much better! I guess just be patient & keep trying…

Mugboo

Just fitted one to my c456

Used a headset press and a cheap FSA headset cup as a spacer. No rotation.

Could the fact that the cup has rounded edges have helped? Do you want the other cup to try it?

Silly question but have you removed the bearings?

granny_ring

Thanks for replies.

Yes bearings removed and thought by pulling the cups in rather than pushing them in would sort it out but no not so far.
    Which way up did you use the FSA cup Mugboo?

BadlyWiredDog

I used a Cyclus headset press with no rotation issues. I’ve seen people posting before saying that they had to use a sort of trial and error system of off-setting the cups to start off with so that once they were pressed in they lined up. If you have a bench vice though, I’d be tempted to try that as an alternative without rotational fores.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I fitted one to my DH bike & it was a seriously tight fit.

I went postal on it with a block of wood & big mallet – my press wasn’t man enough.

Mugboo

Not sure, sorry

jsm

@granny_ring what type are you fitting on your spot? I was considering doing the same.

mikey74
    Free Member

stick it in the freezer for several hours first. Mine went in pretty easily after that.

Raymond

I used the wood and hammer method. No obvious problems after a few rides so I figure the cups must be in straight.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Never had that TBH and I have fitted many headsets over the years – have you tried a bit of grease – I do usually just to get it to glide in a bit better? Also I have that headset installer – have you tried greasing the threaded bar or have you put the glide bearing in the wrong place?

brant
    Free Member

I used the wood and hammer method. No obvious problems after a few rides so I figure the cups must be in straight.

Cups will always sit flat with the headtube. If the head tube is flat, all is good. If the head tube isn’t flat, then it doesn’t matter who/what presses it in, it won’t be.

I use a bit of wood/hammer, or a rubber mallet.

granny_ring

Thanks all.

jsm – THIS ONE

Always use coppaslip type stuff when fitting headset cups.

I’ll have another go tomorrow morning. Will try and put the cups in the freezer overnight to see if that helps and have a look at using another headset cup as a spacer and check out the glide bearing situ.

If that doesn’t work I’ll tw*t it with a hammer 🙂

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

In addition to the cups in the freezer thing, I had a really tight one a few years back and leaving the bare frame upside down with headtube in a bucket of hot water helped as well. Probably should have got the HT reamed but there you go.

granny_ring

The cups go in ok it’s just they turn a fraction so it’s a pain to line the marks up

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a works Component Headset, advice needed please….’ is closed to new replies.