Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • first time cyclo x racer
  • crispybacon
    Free Member

Av a lanche of this parish is going to enter his first cyclo x race & was going to use his MTB – if he likes cyclo x racing i'm sure he'll buy himself a proper cyclo x bike.

Anyway the question is what would be the best tyres for a cyclo x race that will fit on a 26" MTB wheel? he was thinking along the lines of something skinny say 1.5" but with some tread.

So guys anyone use a MTB for cyclo x racing & what tyres are you using.

crazy-legs

1.5" Conti Cross Country is the usual choice. Specialized do some decent 1.8" mud/general condition tyres as well. Strip the bike down to the bare minimum. Mudguards and bottle cage can come off, you may find (depending on the race) that bar ends are banned as well.

Olly
    Free Member

i use 1.5 conti cross countrys at the hit the north 1.5 winter sprinter, and they were excellent.

well worth chucking on a singlespeed as a backup bike for races, incase it gets proper filthy.

av-a-lanche
    Free Member

Cheers – couldn't post the thread myself earlier. Yes, checked the rules & bar ends are banned. But as I don't use them isn't really an issue. Off to buy the conti's.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Thanks for this thread, been meaning to ask the same question and now I don't need to post at all… Oh…..

aP
    Free Member

If you can still buy them then Specialized Hoffalize would be ok as well.

dobo
    Free Member

I've just purchased 2nd hand of this very site some hutchinson cross comp 1.3! for my mtb in prep for a cx race.
    Been out for a spin tonight and thought they would be sketchy being so narrow but they are fantastic, even on roots and off camber around lordswood. real gripy, fast and light.

Think they must have banned them or something as i dont believe they make them any more.
    Bitch to get on my rims though…if i get a puncture im ****

Coleman
    Free Member

Another vote for Conti cross country – especially when it's really muddy.For slightly drier conditions I would also recommend Schwalbe CX comp (wire) or CX pro (folding) which are faster rolling than the Conti's and are grippier over roots.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘first time cyclo x racer’ is closed to new replies.