Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • First road ride?
  • peajay

Been fancying getting a road bike for a while now and my brother kindly lent me a go on his one to try before I splash out, I think I’ve been put off the idea, his is a 56 and I could probably do with a 58 but I set it up to suit as best as I could, I was amazed at how rough the roads felt, and couldn’t get my hands comfortable on the bars, have I become soft with 20 years on fat tyres? Does it get better, or do I just need to man up a lot? Or forever more be content off road, can’t get road bikes out of me head though,
    PJ.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Man Up. The position is different and your hands will get used to it. The more you do it the easier it gets.

Philby

Also depends on the bike you were riding – first time I borrowed a friends LeMond I had similar feelings in my hands and wrists, but since I bought my own have had no problems. Some bikes give a harsher ride than others, so might be worth testing a few. Frame material can make a difference as can the geometry, or simple things like the thickness of bar tape.

Kevevs
    Free Member

keep riding, you’ll get used to it. then go further, and faster, then up bigger hills. loosen up. it’s all good. just different. When you are working and hitting 30mph on a nice bit of smooth tarmac, the bike is quiet and you are in the zone, zenned out, and your body is just buzzing like a perfect machine at one with the bike, for a while, it’s a great feeling. It’s something to savour.

Whyte1
    Free Member

smooth tarmac 😆 where do you find that stuff ❓

monkeychild
    Free Member

smooth tarmac where do you find that stuff

+10000000000

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘First road ride?’ is closed to new replies.