Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • First ride around Hope and…
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

I have to take the single speed as my 1×9 is poorly 🙁
    Will I die on a 32:16???
    The route is Roman rd bridleway, Edale bridleway, bit of rd to mam tor, rushup edge, dirtlow rake and back down by the cement works.
    I haven’t ridden around the peaks so I don’t know what the inclines are like. I have quite reasonable fitness so besides the usual MTFU 😀 can anyone help??

monksie
    Free Member

Are you planning on riding up Edale Rd to Mam Nick? Why not go up to Hollins Cross and then over to Mam Nick? Just a thought.
    Gears would be more comfortable, virtually all doable for average or above riders with gears, maybe a bit of pushing for all but the strongest on singlespeed I would have thought with regard to to getting up to Mam Nick on or off road.
    A nice route, that one. Not an epic but long enough to warrant a coffee and cake.

thejesmonddingo

+1 for monksie,it’s a lot nicer than the road.
    Ian

monkeychild
    Free Member

We have a group of beginners with us as well so this is the route we are taking (i am not the leader). So i am gonna burn then lol.

BigJohn

Take some nice comfy shoes for walking

takisawa2

but long enough to warrant a coffee and cake

All rides warrant coffe & cake.
    Dont they ?
    🙂

nbt

Even beginners will find it nicer up the bridleway than the road, if they’re fit enough to ride the road they can ride the BW, as the road gets quite steep, and personally I’d much rather push up off-road than on it.

Which reminds me, as a peaks singlespeeder, you’ll be doing a fair bit of pushing

monksie
    Free Member

takisawa2 – if it’s less than two hours, no. It’s our riding rule. No stopping if it’s less then two hours (regardless of terrain or distance). That ride would be close but I reckon if would qualify.
    Cake in Edale though, not at Miserable Mary’s* in Hope.
    As nbt has pointed out, if your going to be pushing up Mam Nick, you really don’t want to be doing it on Edale Rd. There isn’t a foot path on either side, there are lots of bends and cars going up don’t like to drop the revs. as it’s very steep and cars coming down are usually canning it.
    I think she’s called Judith but we call her Mary anyway. Miserable cow.

scruff
    Free Member

Singlespeeds have no place in the PeakS

BigJohn

So i am gonna burn then lol.

On my screen, the r and n in burn look like an m. 😯

monksie
    Free Member

In that case, I’m in 🙂

docrobster
    Free Member

I for one would not fancy riding up the road from Edale to mam nick on a SS. Road it on a road bike with I think 39:25 lowest gear the other week. Rideable but not pleasant.

I don’t know what the inclines are like

According to my Garmin you gain 733 feet in 2.8 miles, does that sound do-able?
    Beginners will not thank you for it!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Well I have the 1×9 up and running again so sore legs will not occur 😀
    Cheers for the input though!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘First ride around Hope and…’ is closed to new replies.