• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by sm.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • First ride after back op
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

Mrs Cat had lower back surgery to insert plates and pins about 1 year ago and not been back on a bike since. She was always a gentle trail rider rather than full on rider, but as our boys are riding more and more, and we are off to Scotland soon, she wanted to get back on a bike. We are off for a first gentle ride this afternoon on the Monsal Trail, just to break her back into riding.

Anyone had the same and is there anything re set up etc that I should be taking into account to make it easy for her or do I just set the bike up as usual? It’s only a basic rigid bike made up from a selection of good quality spares.

Fat-boy-fat

I had a major back op myself about 3 years ago. You should be OK with a hard tail but you might want to set it up so your good lady sits more upright. Also, think about getting a back support. I use one from Vulkan and it really helps me to stop getting my back into flexion. The key thing for me is to make sure my lower back stays flat. In the end, you may want to consider a full susser or a suspension seatpost to lessen the impact on your wife’s back. Good luck.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

FBF – top tip, thanks will head off to find one now and see it will be ok.

Fitted an adjustable stem and we played about with the rise over this morning’s ride, she said that she was conscious of the metal and a slight tightness in her lower back.

But, that said, she managed 10k and was still smiling at the end. She’s keen to repeat and push a little further each time – amazing what a reward of a Cappuccino and Jacket Spud can do!!

Will also take a look at the suspension seat post idea. 😀

sm
    Free Member

I had a disk removed and a fusion with bolts and rods about 3 years ago. I changed my riding position to more upright and it’s working alright so far. Post ride I generally have problems for a while but it’s worth it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘First ride after back op’ is closed to new replies.