Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • First Aid & the video on the front page…
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

…that is why everyone should know at least some basic first aid 😯

wonnyj
    Free Member

Craziest mtb video I’ve seen in a long time! Did a good job didn’t they.

prawny

I had to stop it, never had a problem with blood before but I went proper fainty. Glad he’s ok shook me right up.

tenfoot

I took a first aid course at work, primarily with riding in mind. Not sure how I would have coped with that though

Northwind

Crazy isn’t it…

I was wondering though, realistically, how much would it help normally? They had fully equipped first aiders there quickly, and a helicopter evac… How would he have done on a normal ride without that backup?

psling
    Free Member

An outdoors activities first aid course I did (aimed at climbers, skiers, etc.) dealt with checking for femural bleeding to much amusement as it involved checking the groin area for liquids and then ensuring that any wetness was/was not bleeding as opposed to involuntary evacuation of the bowels or bladder 😯

wors

It’s horrific, and goes to show that the worst accidents can happen at the most inocuous moments. Glad he’s on the mend.

I know STW did a feature on first aid a while back. Maybe they could team up with someone to offer courses in outdoor first aid?

Onzadog
    Free Member

There’s plenty of outdoor first aid courses out there. I did one earlier in the year with Rick Cotgreave through Pure Outdoor at Stoney Middleton in the Peaks. I have to say, he was excellent. First time I’ve come away from a first aid course feeling like I could be some use in a crisis.

brack
    Free Member

A set of medical forceps…

Great for removing flints, thorns and stopping arterial bleeds.

walla24
    Free Member

makes you wonder about that ‘quick loop’ on your own!

project
    Free Member

stop the bleeding and keep patient breathing are a good start.

In May this year came accross a road cyclist gone over the bars,cold day very windy, covered him in 2 dust sheets out of van,to keep him warm, waited for paramedics, 20 plus minutes probably and then quite a while for air ambulance.

Nearest hospital with a and e about 5 miles away,but no ambulances available, so air ambulance.

Even close to a hospital it may take some time for help to arrive, best to know some first aid,just in case.

crikey
    Free Member

A set of medical forceps…

Great for removing flints, thorns and stopping arterial bleeds.

🙄

Yep, if you happen to be House or some other TV doctor.

In the real world you won’t have any kind of clear access to the artery, and using ‘medical’ forceps (of which there are many kinds…) will chew up the very bits of the artery that vascular surgeons will be attempting to use to repair the damage.

Just press on it until help arrives.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

project – Member
    stop the bleeding and keep patient breathing are a good start.

In May this year came accross a road cyclist gone over the bars,cold day very windy, covered him in 2 dust sheets out of van,to keep him warm, waited for paramedics, 20 plus minutes probably and then quite a while for air ambulance.

Nearest hospital with a and e about 5 miles away,but no ambulances available, so air ambulance.

Even close to a hospital it may take some time for help to arrive, best to know some first aid,just in case.

POSTED 7 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Out of interest, where was that, project?

project
    Free Member

Birkenhead road, willaston, wirral.

Drac

First chance I’ve had to watch that video, shows you how easy it is to hurt yourself badly and that was an open bleed a closed one would have gone unnoticed for ages.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have a friend who does remote/wilderness first aid (emergency medicine) for big companies working in remote areas (mines/oil/gas exploration) which works around the how far from a hospital principle. They go as far as you need to keep people alive like this and other stuff, she was wondering about running some outdoor versions but I reckon the price would be too high for most mountain bikers as individuals.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘First Aid & the video on the front page…’ is closed to new replies.