Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • First-aid kit, whats in yours?
  • mactheknife

This year I have a lot of plans biking wise, mainly big day routes in Scotland as well as trips abroad. But a recent mishap by a mate got me thinking about what is best to pack in my first aid kit. Was thinking
    Triangular bandage, steriwipes and steristrips, ibuprofen.

What else should I be packing?

v8ninety

I keep a mars bar and some gaffa tape, and some water. Sometimes jelly babys, if I’ve not eat them already…

v8ninety

Ooh, and an inner tube, I’ve used one of them before.

restless
    Free Member

Paracetamol, wipes, plasters and….
    in case of a trip to the doctors; mascara, concealer and lip gloss. Don’t want to look rough 😛

benjbish

Lots of latex gloves, pocket mask and melolin dressings and micropore tape.

v8ninety

Lots of latex gloves,

Yeah, me too. It’s the fingerprints that incriminate, you know! 😈 😯

Zoolander
    Free Member

Mine consists of a pack of plasters and a hip flask.

v8ninety

No first aid kit is complete without haemostatic dressings, self application tourniquets and a defib. And lots of drugs. FACT.

Edit, doh, forgot polos. LOTS of polos. Extra strong mints too, if you can handle them…

teasel
    Free Member

A handful of those big 100mm x 100mm melonin patches (because most falls I’ve experienced have resulted in a graze-type wound about the size of a hand), micropore tape, antiseptic wipes and cream, codeine pills and a few plasters.

v8ninety

[serious hat on] Re dressings for grazes, why? Can you guarantee the graze microbe free? Surely it’s what this is for? I dunno, it just seems a bad idea to provide a warm moist environment for bugs when you don’t need too… [/serious hat on]

How about tictacs, for the weight weenies?

teasel
    Free Member

If you re-read my post I used the term “graze-type” not graze. In my mind’s eye they had deeper wounds than a simple graze and as far as the bugs bit goes, that’s why I carry antiseptic treatment, too.

NB No Serious Hats were worn whilst writing the above…

alpin
    Free Member

latex gloves (x4)
    iodine/antiseptic bottle
    elasticated bandage (x2)
    non-elasticated bandage (x2)
    elastoplast tape
    compression patches various sizes (x5)
    bit of cut-to-size elastoplast (approx 10″)
    stick on stiches (x6) – good for hold a sliced finger together before putting bandage on
    spray-on plaster – good fun watching people cringe when applied
    600mg paracetemol (x10)
    heat blanket
    tweezers

i used to have an instant ice pack, but i used it one day to cool my beer after a ride.

there is also a laminated card in there with basic 1st aid info for the guests in case something happens to me. but the card is in german… i should do another in english, really…

you might think that that is a lot to carry, but thankfully/unfortunately the only thingi haven’t yet had to use is the blanket.
    i had one tour where with 20 mintues i’d used 6 compression patches and roll bandages! – not on myself, i must add!

the only time i had to get the 1st aid kit out was when i did this:

rustybike
    Free Member

Dude if you don’t know what to carry your not going to know how to use it. The knowledge is far more useful than the equipment, you can fashion Bandages from jerseys so long as you have the knowledge.

There are two situations you can either still ride or you can’t. THere are very few time you can move from the “i can’t ride” to the “i can ride pile” just by using a little first aid kit.

This isn’t saying the first aid kit isn’t needed to help the situation alpins list seems pretty good but if you can’t ride and your in Scotland in the middle of nowhere your fecked unless you have some sort of communication device.

If your really going off the beaten track you should consider getting a spot tracker:
    http://international.findmespot.com/

also my favourites are:
    Space blanket
    emergency food tends to help after someone has crashed(unless there in proper shock)

EDIT: plasters should never be used to stop bleeding so are kinda pointless.

teasel
    Free Member

Pointless? Really?

I found them quite useful for stopping the blood staining my glove after I sliced my finger on a bladed spoke last year.

rustybike
    Free Member

plasters should never be used to stop bleeding

Yes you can use plasters to stop bleeding and your finger wouldn’t be staining your glove if it had stopped. I’m sure everyone here has used a plaster to stop bleeding but you shouldn’t if you have the correct equipment. so if you have the correct equipment you don’t need them hence pointless.

teasel
    Free Member

I see.

Well, I tried wrapping one of the large melonin patches around the wound but not only was it too long for my short and fat fingers, it actually stopped me from putting the glove on at all…

NB Again, no Serious Hats were donned when writing.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

My kit contents.

Plasters are good if they stop you using up more “vital” wound kit for covering minor cuts and scrapes. Most people wont bother with them.

philconsequence
    Free Member

gaffa tape, super glue and a bottle of whisky.

Cougar

My first aid kit consists of a plastic card reading “MTFU.” It’s got a picture of Chuck Norris on the back.

In seriousness; in addition to what’s been said above, I’ve got a tick remover. I’ve never had one, but they give me the fear.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I once had to ride home with a thunderbug in my eye, the eye filled with gunk and tears and it wasn’t pleasant (Could I be allergic to them.) Since then I’ve kept a mirror and a few cotton-tips in my kit, in case it happens again.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Clean undies, you wouldn’t want to end up in hospital in a dirty set!

Wozza
    Free Member

Duct tape, Spray plaster, zip ties, swiss army knife and Rum. I read something about sanitary products making good pads for deep cuts and severe bruising, might chuck one of them in.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have a search on here. m Been discussed a few times

As above knowledge is the most important thing and its a fairly small number of injuries were a first aid kit will make a significant difference.

mactheknife

Good Good, i have the knowledge to treat most minor injuries although maybe a bit rustier than i would like to admit.

😀 😀

onehundredthidiot

Camera (ABC, Airway, breathing, camera)

Gaffa/Duck tape (If it can’t be ducked, it’s F’d)

crikey
    Free Member

Camera (ABC, Airway, breathing, camera)

This.

Always keep filming after every crash; don’t do that lady thing of calling out the persons name then running to see if they are ok; just spoils the end result.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I used to carry all sorts but gave up (you struggle to keep it clean apart from anything). Instead, these days, I carry some surgical tape, a basic mepore type dressing cover (just to stop more rubbish going into the wounds as you ride down on a muddy day), an old out of date credit card and a small bandage. Not much else is needed.

crikey
    Free Member

an old out of date credit card

That’s to put the ambulance chasers off?

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀 Punctured lung aid – seals over the hole. Not something I’d have thought of but was heavily stressed from an outdoors survival first-aid course I spent far too many hours on. Apparently it’s more common than you’d think with biking and walking in wooded areas (people falling on stuff and pulling it out). I wasn’t sure, but considering the light weight and small package it might as well be in there.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The imagination to find 1001 medical uses for gaffa tape is the most important thing.

meehaja
    Free Member

punctured lung aid can be made (thats how we do it in the ambulance service)

the wrapping from a dressing is usually kinda waxed paper, tape it over a sucking chest wound on three sides, leaving one side loose.

When the patient breathes in, the dressing seals the gaping chest wound preventing more air getting sucked in, when they exhale air can escape. hopefully allowing the lung to inflate fully and reducing the air trapped in the pleuretic space.

or buy an asherman seal.

meehaja
    Free Member

people that ride with me are often disappointed to find that I only carry a big dressing, a space blanket and some tape. But I am a keen practicioner of MTFU.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘First-aid kit, whats in yours?’ is closed to new replies.