Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Firefox or other browsers whats the best?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

Lookiung to use another browser as mines is shite.

How do I find out what browser I have and what’s the best one to use?

Also hello!

GrahamS

Still using Firefox all day every day here. Not much wrong with it IMO.

How do I find out what browser I have

Usually something like “About xxx” on the “Help” menu of the browser.

spooky_b329

Help > About will normally tell you what browser you have. (I think thats right)

I use Google Chrome. Simple, clean, no clutter.

uwe-r
    Free Member

What did you click on to get acces to the web. If it looks like a e with a thing going round it your on explorer which is rubbish. You can’t go wrong with firefox, much better.

allthepies
    Free Member

Chrome these days (for me).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Firefox for me

kaesae
    Free Member

I have quite a few short cuts on my desk top I also use google a good amount?

What’s the best way to check what browser I have?

kaesae
    Free Member

Looks like I have internet explorer is the default web browser.

Do I just download firefox and that’s it sorted?

toby1

Do you mean what version of the browser? Menu bar > Help > About or which browsers are installed on your machine?

If you have that many icons that you can’t locate the browsers there you might have too many icons 🙂

Firefox remains my preferred option, it feels like home!

GrahamS

kaesae
    Free Member

Where is the best place to download firefox and is there a big difference between it and chrome?

Rio

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

There’s not a huge difference between them these days, use whatever you’re comfortable with. If it’s just going too slowly you probably have other unrelated problems.

kaesae
    Free Member

Too be honest it’s just those rip off merchants at feebay, they keep logging me out and I have ot then log back in, apparently they don’t like internet explorer.

Seems a lot of companies are doing all they can to errode microsofts powerbase by making thier systems not compatible with microsoft software

Not in large ways that are obvious but in small ways that are more a nuisance.

Will see if I can download it now, thanks everyone!

RealMan
    Free Member

Still using Firefox all day every day here. Not much wrong with it IMO.

+1.

There’s not a huge difference between them these days, use whatever you’re comfortable with.

+1, I can use chrome, but it’s missing a few features firefox has that I’m used to, which annoys me. Either is fine.

Would suggest some apps to go with firefox though – things like greasemonkey + youtube enhancer, last pass, adblock plus, xmarks, and whatever theme you think looks nice.

EDIT: lol @ word filter on adblock plus

bigblackshed

Safari. Like firefox, only better. Now available for other operating systems.

*Smug Mac user, goes and hides in the corner.

GrahamS
    GrahamS

Seems a lot of companies are doing all they can to errode microsofts powerbase by making thier systems not compatible with microsoft software

I wondered how you’d squeeze a Kaesae Konspiracy out of this one 🙄

FWIW this simply isn’t true – IE is still the dominant browser and any web company worth its salt makes sure their sites work on IE.

In fact, it’s Microsoft themselves that are actively trying to get people away from IE6.
    http://www.ie6countdown.com/

elzorillo
    Free Member

Prefer chrome myself.. they have pretty much nailed too with the integration of mail, docs, gdrive etc

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I used Firefox from pre-release beta up until about 2 months ago when I switched to Chrome, the reality is they’re all shite thanks to Adobe flash.

xiphon
    Free Member

Chrome – especially the ‘sign-in to sync bookmarks/saved data’ feature. Lovely and fast, even on much older hardware.

GrahamS

the reality is they’re all shite thanks to Adobe flash.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/Flashdance/

(obviously you should whitelist Singletrack, as blocking flash/adverts here causes kittens to die)

theflatboy
    Free Member

Firefox is good. I prefer Opera.

MrGreedy

No-one’s mentioned Opera yet [Edit – they hadn’t when I started typing this!], so I will. Nice and fast, very customisable, but probably the most useful feature is that it synchronises bookmarks and settings between my desktop, laptop and phone. Lots of the features people coo about in Chrome are just trickling down from Opera IMO.

onandon
    Free Member

Opera for the win

GrahamS

he most useful feature is that it synchronises bookmarks and settings between my desktop, laptop and phone

So errr.. just like Chrome and Firefox then?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The trouble is I need flash on multiple tabs which usually crashes on a daily basis. I do use a lot of tabs but surely I can’t be the only one…

GrahamS

schrickvr6: Flashdance it everywhere then only whitelist the bits you actually need. Makes it waaaaaaay more stable and gets rid of lots of pointless cruft too.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Moved from Firefox to Chrome. Love Chrome. Shit just works.

njee20
    Free Member

Firefox here

kaesae
    Free Member

😀

kaesae
    Free Member

When I go to log into ebay now I get this message

You have requested an encrypted page that contains some unencrypted information. Information that you see or enter on this page could easily be read by a third party.

Should I be worried about this and is there any way to sort it out?

GrahamS

Basically you’re on a “secure” web page – one where the address starts with https:// – but that page has some stuff on it (e.g. pictures) that come from an insecure address – one that starts with http://

Common problem.

kaesae
    Free Member

So is it OK to use the page?

GrahamS

Erm.. up to you really. Probably.

It really depends which bit is actually insecure (if it is just an image then no problem, if some form is being served from an insecure server then it is a genuine issue).

99.9% of the time I would ignore it on a well known site.

kaesae
    Free Member

The site is ebay, so it’s well used but also very amatuerish 😉

I’m also having problems with my invoice address’s on ebay being altered and coming out longer, this means some of them no longer fit on the sticker part of the invoice sheet provided.

Think I might just install chrome and see if that sorts it out!

GrahamS

The site is ebay, so it’s well used but also very amatuerish

Probably the issue is just that the secure ebay page has some images that are hosted by the seller from insecure websites.

Think I might just install chrome and see if that sorts it out!

It won’t sort the issue – but it may not tell you about it. Or at least give you an option to say “Yeah I know, shut up”.

toys19
    Free Member

GrahamS that Flashdance addon is genius, in 3 minutes it has improved my life immeasurably.

kaesae
    Free Member

The warning comes up as soon as I go onto the log in page, but before I type anything in. If I install chrome will it automatically uninstall firefox, got almost 40 orders to get done so a bit pressed for time!

GrahamS

If I install chrome will it automatically uninstall firefox

No.

got almost 40 orders to get done so a bit pressed for time!

So just ignore it and carry on?

kaesae
    Free Member

As I said firefox is altering the layout of the address’s, so that they do no fit properly onto the sticky part of the invoice paper thingy.

So how do I get rid of firefox and install chrome or something else?

Do I just install chrome then ininstall firefox?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Firefox or other browsers whats the best?’ is closed to new replies.