Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Firefox – CPU usage.
  • drumon

When I load pages like STW with Firefox the CPU use seems to jump way up to 100% on my pentium 4, 3,06GHz laptop, 512MB RAM. Why is this, is it to do with the Flash ads running on the page??

How can I lower the CPU usage of this by changing settings somewhere?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I managed to switch the films off and it works much faster).

Inbred456
    Free Member

I removed AVG and now use AVIRA because of the same thing, it just slowed everything right up, seems fine now.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I just binned the program…

Jamie
    Free Member

It will be the flash ads.

Incidentally,the last few incarnations of Firefox on OSX have just been getting ridiculous in relation to starting up/rendering web pages etc. Just binned it and gone back to Safari.

drumon

I managed to switch the films off and it works much faster).

How did you switch the films off?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I've just dumped Firefox in favour of Chrome – yesterday in fact – and I'm much happier already. It's even fine playing all the movies on this page

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mine does this lot. May try chrome

cullen-bay
    Free Member

guys, the ads pay for this site, switching them off is saying that you dont want this site running, take it or leave it.

GrahamS

Yep, it's just all the Flash.

GrahamS

Ahem… discussing A*B***** is verboten in the forum rules…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forums/forum-rules/

sharkbait
    Free Member

BTW……. you need a LOT more ram 😕

Gary_M
    Free Member

I've ben having some problems with ie8 but firefox has been fine.

cullen-bay congratulations on your appointment as forum police officer.

GrahamS

Also make sure your flash is up to date as older versions of Flash cause a lot of suck.

drumon

Re. the forum rules, I have no problem with that, thanks for pointing out the rules. I wasn't looking for a method of removing ads. I was looking for ways of making firefox run better, to cope with the ads as my computer is jamming up on this website. I dont know how Flash works, I was curious if there are ways of making it run more economically for the sake of the CPU. I did not intend to bring to the fore a discussion on un-doing the good work of the website and the means by which it is funded, I do understand why ads are there. If I could earn money displaying advertising on me, maybe I could afford a new pc and not need to have asked in the first place!!

Yup I need more RAM.
    end of discussion really.

skidartist
    Free Member

There was a problem with one of CRCs flash adds a while back that was making them much more processor hungry than they needed to be, and on being notfied they replaced them with ads that looked identical but were beter behaved and i'm wondering whether its the same issue with the current ones. I think the culprit had animated parallaxing snowflakes. The parallaxing text on the current add is stuttering for me just now

The adds pay for the site and I have absolutely no problem with that, but they shouldn't compromise the site, thats counterproductive for everyone.

My lappy is crawling with the site as it is just now to the extent that typing this is pretty laboured, and battery life is minimal. My thighs are nice and warm though. With the ad I had to complain about you could actually hear whether its was on the screen or not.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Bit drastic but I've just reinstalled windows and the whole machine is running oh so much better. Also got rid of Zonelarm and gone for Avast which seems to have helped. Surfing is a pleasure now rather than the pain it was getting.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Firefox – CPU usage.’ is closed to new replies.