Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Fine for refusing to complete electoral roll – wtf?
  • Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Its alright – if you don’t fill in your form they’ll probably just use RIPA to authorise a VoPo to come round and rifle through your bins in search of your name, and then add your ‘crime’ to your personal file in the Ministerium…

thomthumb
    Free Member

if you don’t vote you don’t get to complain about the rules.

Woody
    Free Member

i will not do anything face to face either. i go into the office and make a fuss.

Eh? What do you do, stand with your back to the office staff, shout at the wall and show your bum ?

tyres

Although project is right that local authorities (a.k.a. districts and counties) are funded by government by a grant called the Rate Support Grant the Electoral Roll plays no part in this. The amount each council receives is based on the head of population in the district or county but this figure comes from the (national) census data, which is held and maintained by the Office for National Statistics (ONS). The Electoral Roll has no direct roll to play in the census.

FYI Failure to complete the (national) census form in March 2011 will also result in a fine!

mattsccm, what on earth are you alluding to when you say,

But then I don’t always agree with the whole principle of allowing so many others to vote.

???

I take it you don’t agree that all citizens should have the right to vote (admittedly allowing for a very few exceptions)? Who shall we disenfranchise first then? You maybe?

Cougar

Ah, that old scam……….false council IDs to find out the names and ages of British/EU nationals.

BTW, those who object to being on the electoral register could always try claiming they are “idiots”.

So you can’t see any problems with “excuse me sir, how many people live here?” Guess you’re lucky enough never to have been burgled. I wasn’t objecting to being on the electoral roll, I was objecting to the soliciting of personal data on the doorstep. But hey, don’t let small things like ‘facts’ get in the way of a good troll, eh?

Even if in this case it’s not particularly sensitive data (you could get similar results from looking in a phone book and watching a house for a few hours), I think it’s irresponsible to be getting people into the habit of blindly giving out information when asked. How many people are scammed daily by people ringing up and pretending to be banks or some such? The official organisations tell you never to give out information, then I get my bank cold-calling me and asking me security questions – how do I know they are who they say they are?

I’ve no issues with providing information for electoral or other purposes. I have a problem with organisations encouraging people to get used to giving up information without first checking who they’re giving to. It’s a really dangerous habit to be nurturing.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“But doesn’t the electoral do more than just make you able to vote? I’m sure its used for address purposes etc. “

It does IMPROVE your credit scoring and help you get a mortgage.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

. I wasn’t objecting to being on the electoral roll, I was objecting to the soliciting of personal data on the doorstep. But hey, don’t let small things like ‘facts’ get in the way of a good troll, eh?

I can’t see the bit where I said that you objected to being on the electoral roll. My comment was purely concerning your suggestion that you might call the police. But hey, don’t let small things like ‘facts’ get in the way……..

ernie lynch where did you get that quote ? Casting my mind back to my Classics undergrad – I thought only the aristocracy voted in ancient greek democracy e.g about 1 in 100 of the population the rest were dirt poor illiterate or slaves. But I accept that t’internet might know better.

Yeah I’m sure not everyone had a vote in ancient Greek democracy – slaves etc. In the same way as it would be factual incorrect to say that today everyone has a vote in the UK – prisoners and foreign national living here don’t for example.

But I’m perfectly happy for you to correct the quote. Either way, all dictionaries seem to agree that the word “idiot” originates from ancient Athenians who didn’t vote. Certainly the Oxford Dictionary which I have before me and was published in 1934 long before “t’internet” (family heirloom) suggests that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

foreign national living here

Some of us do 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

……and some don’t.

molgrips
    Free Member

So, you don’t want to confirm the names and addresses of residents at your property in case aliens come and eat your brains – but you probably have a Facebook page ? Its a mad world.

Being on Facebook doesn’t automatically mean your entire details are given away. They only know the details you put on there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

……and some don’t.

Think most don’t to be fair…I was only being obstreporous. Us Micks do though…something to do with the years of subjugation and persecution…yadda yadda yadda 🙄

Have been following the thread all day and tbh, I can’t see the OP’s problem. The electoral roll is important in a functioning society – sometimes, you just have to do the right thing – and sometimes, there’s legislation to ensure you do the right thing. I guess the OP has anarchist fantasies or something. I have no problem being on it. You see it allows me to go out every few years and partake in democracy – cast my vote – if you want to opt out, then fair enough, but don’t whine about it when someone comes after you.

Being on Facebook doesn’t automatically mean your entire details are given away. They only know the details you put on there.

I suspect anybody with half a brain could find out a lot more about me from the web than is on the electoral roll.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Well, unless something has changed in the last couple of years, being OFF the electoral role means you will never be called for jury duty, though much the same can be accomplished just by ticking the ‘I’m over 70 and therefore senile’ box on the form*. 😛

*Which would suggest completing the registration on-line is a better method of lying about your age as the council official may,if they are observant realise you don’t quite look that old…

sharki
    Free Member

Cool, bring on the fines, not registered for 5 or more years, in fact it might even be longer.

There’s been enough chances for them to fine or arrest me.
    Guess they don’t really care that much about my lack of opinion.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

If they don’t know who lives there, and they don’t know your name because you wont give it…

How are they supposed to issue a court summons to fine you?

😀

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Fine for refusing to complete electoral roll – wtf?’ is closed to new replies.