Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Finding the courage to do something.
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Now that night ride bit was just meant to make me feel worse ya bugger…

I'm gonna have a crack at it on Saturday, it's all in the mind!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If in doubt, flat out!

Theres a fair few tracks I've ridden at full pelt with friends, but attempt it on my own or at the front of a group and I don't stand a chance!

CaptS
    Free Member

Without reading every enrty in full – much of what is being discussed is going to covered in the next technique section of IMBikemag (.com). Issue 4 out in 6 days. It looks at the Psycholgical side of riding and the process of learning a new skill or technique. In the mean time consider the the origins of the phrase 'fools rush in'

epicyclo

The problem with hero stuff, is you only see the heroes. The failed heroes are elsewhere learning to manage their wheelchairs.

10pmix
    Free Member

Sorry about the night ride thing! Good that you're going to have a crack at it. Just get that front wheel over the roots (you can use them as a kicker) and you'll be fine. You can get actually away with a slight front wheel landing because of the angle (but hopefully it won't come to that!).

Agree 100% with all the stuff about riding with other people. Its the key for me. And will be fascinated to read about the psychological side given that I am a born worrier! I've been trying to key myself up to a big Swinley drop for 7 years!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'm looking forward to having a read, still reckon I'll crap myself though!

Maybe I'll try it on a dry, dry day in the spring with a full face and every pad I can find!

heihei

Was at Rogate on Friday for the first time (video posted on here yesterday), and it took my mate and I a while to pluck up the courage to hit one of the gaps. Two things made it do-able: (1) peer pressure, and (2) being able to visualise riding it – literally running through it in my mind (speed, position on the bike, where I wanted to land etc). To me, the mind games are the most difficult on a bike, but also the most rewarding!
    Oh – speed, a full-face helmet, and a load of padding helped too!

Northwind

I'm getting quite good at the "turn off brain" approach. If you're riding near the edge of your nerve, then the last thing you want is a brain involved in the process, so I find if I can set up the approach I can then just do nothing at all, until it's too late to stop. Not a very neat approach but it works, and once I've done something once I can leave the brain switched on the next time.

Hicksy
    Free Member

There is a steep, longish roll-in near where I live which I once spent over an hour at the top getting very, very frustrated at my lack of guts to ride it. All my friends ride it without problem and I've ridden as steep before, but just couldn't do it. I'll do it soon. Honest.

Not bikes, but this might be interesting….

Time: 22:35 to 23:05 (30 minutes long).
    When: Monday 8th February on BBC 1

Olympic sprinting legend Michael Johnson moves from track to piste to discover what makes downhill skiers risk their lives in pursuit of sporting glory. Hurtling down a mountain at up to 80mph with minimal protection is something that most people would consider an act of madness, so Michael sets out to discover why these athletes so enjoy what they do, and how they deal with the risks involved and the crashes that inevitably happen.
    (Editor's Choice, Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles)

…..or might not be!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Watched this thig about downhill skiers and feel like a proper cross country jeyboy now!

coffeeking
    Free Member

joolsburger – the only issue with the one I pictured was the initial curve was so sharp that chainrings caught the floor as you rolled over, we took to rolling to just before that point and sort of bunny-hopping forwards to clear it without then catching the rear and bouncing it up behind. Unfortunately as soon as we started riding it we noticed that it was a fairly soft surface and we were damaging it so we stopped riding it, but it was good while it lasted!

You can't completely switch off your brain, but deep down you know you can probably do these things if you dont think too hard and stop doubting yourself. Obviously the point at which you switch off your brain depends on the likelyhood of paralysis if you crash.

rockitman

Do you know someone else who can ride it? Personally, I've done some stuff in the last few weeks where I've just followed someone else down a descent seen them go off the drop and then just followed them. "If they can do it…then so can I". I know I have the right technique…

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Finding the courage to do something.’ is closed to new replies.