Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Filming yourself going slowly
  • ajantom

Now I can understand if you’re a riding god, that a Go-Pro film of your run might look good, but why is it I keep seeing people pootling along with Go-Pros or similar attached to themselves?
    Up at Haldon today I passed (and I was in no way hammering it, due to a recurring chesty cough) 3 people with cameras attached to their person.
    Just seems odd 😐

Scapegoat

Would you help us mincers out by telling us
    A. What to film
    B. you could team up with Hora and tell us what to wear
    C. How fast we must go before we are qualified to film ourselves
    D. And perhaps volunteer to get all this rubbish we are filming sent to you so you can vet it before we clog up your favourite youtube channels
    But most importantly E. tell us how to emulate your Riding God status?

matt_outandabout

It is the continuum of this into filming.

andymc06
    Free Member

People want to record their day out doing something they enjoy and probably find exciting. What’s the problem?

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

Not every ride is a race and maybe they had a worse chesty cough than you.

hora
    Free Member

I know but why film yourself on doubletrack or descending easy bridleway?

As someone said previously amateur go pro is the 10’s version of 80’s Dads slideshow

Spain, wilds of Scotlands etc holiday recording for memories yes.

England? Meh.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

How do you know the cameras were on and filming at that point..?

hora
    Free Member

True. Where you were riding OP- are there gnarly or super fast singletrack sections in the loops?

ajantom

Scapegoat – wasn’t saying I’m a riding god. Definitely not something I claim to be 😉
    1 person I passed was stopped to fiddle with his cameras (yes plural, one on his chest and another on his helmet), another was on a fire road up hill, and a third was in the middle of a largish mixed group, who were going pretty slowly by anyone’s standards.

In response to your list:
    A) If the internet tells us anything, people can and will film what the hell they want. But does the world need another badly focussed and poorly aimed film of the blue run at a trail centre?
    B) Wear what you want, I do. Well, that one time in a gorilla suit proved a bit too hot, but you get the idea.
    C) Speed is relative, but when it boils down to it we’re all slower than someone.
    D) God….if I had to vet all the cr4p on Youtube I’d kill myself. But the point is there is a lot of pointless footage on there – See point A).
    E) Not asking anyone to emulate anything. However, I do think it would be nice if people just enjoyed their ride and didn’t feel the need to introduce useless technology into the equation so they can relive the moment at a later date, which will probably look slow and boring, so then be deleted or confined to folder called ‘Dave’s MTBing Stuff’ on the desktop, never to resurface.

Scapegoat

How did you know I was called Dave?

shortcut

Wife just brought me coffee!

Can we use the example of mincers around Swinley with GoPro’s?

ontor
    Free Member

There does seem to be a profusion of people riding round the forest with full-face and camera mounts. Seems a bit weird to me too.

Perhaps they were trying to get some pictures of the gruffalo?

ajantom

I saw the Gruffalo yesterday, sat outside the cafe rocking a pushchair and having a fag. More tattoos than I remembered from the book though 😕

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why do people take photo’s of ugly people?
    Why do people do anything?

A) If the internet tells us anything, people can and will film what the hell they want. But does the world need another badly focussed and poorly aimed film of the blue run at a trail centre?

It might have been a special occasion like a birthday ride or stag do or just before one of the guys was going to be extradited to russia or anything.

D) God….if I had to vet all the cr4p on Youtube I’d kill myself. But the point is there is a lot of pointless footage on there – See point A).

The internet is full of pointless stuff (see this thread as an example of people getting all upset about somebody doing something that had no impact on the but just fancied having a moan)

I’ve dicked around with a go pro on simple trails and on quiet roads to try and get it set up properly, much better than filming your back wheel of the sky.

As someone said previously amateur go pro is the 10’s version of 80’s Dads slideshow

Spain, wilds of Scotlands etc holiday recording for memories yes.

England? Meh.
    Yes England is crap there is nothing worth capturing or photographing at all. Perhaps it’s possible to have memories of events and things not geographically specific.

As with anything this serious, get over yourself!

Del

I do think it would be nice if people just enjoyed their ride and didn’t feel the need to introduce useless technology into the equation

couldn’t agree more. these dicks on strava for instance….
    😉

ajantom

Hehehe, touché my son. Though I notice Dave is using it a bit more these days.

Mikewsmith- not upset, I’m not that shallow! Just bemused.

singlespeedstu

Spain, wilds of Scotlands etc holiday recording for memories yes.England? Meh.

What if the person is on holiday visiting England.

Edit.

Ah I get it now.
    Your worried they might accidently catch some of your mincing and put it up on here aren’t you.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Maybe they want to see where they can improve? The easiest way to see where you’re going wrong (if you know how to do it right) is to film, or get someone to film you isn’t it?

ajantom

Many good reasons being given, but I think in our heart of hearts we know they are just playing with toys.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I wore my GoPro the other day just to get the hang of it before my Alps trip, to test some settings, resolutions, narrow, wide medium angles, to see what works best so Im not messing about with it when on my hols,

I also wanted some footage so I could get a bit more proficient on the video editing software.

Perhaps the mincers you mention were doing the same, or testing how long their batteries last perhaps?

All sorts of reasons are possible.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

I see them here in Aussie as well. Definately a sign of the times and the amount of social media nerds riding trails.Just another trail accessory for the masses.
    Don’t forget to wave when you ride past.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Many good reasons being given, but I think in our heart of hearts we know they are just playing with toys.

Is that not enough of a reason? Were they on crap or really expensive bikes this may help to sway our opinions.

Del

Though I notice Dave is using it a bit more these days.

two wrongs don’t make a right.

in our heart of hearts we know they we are just playing with toys.

FIFY
    😉

ontor
    Free Member

I do think it would be nice if people just enjoyed their ride and didn’t feel the need to introduce useless technology into the equation

Like drop-bars and soft-tail suspension ;P

trail_rat
    Free Member

hora – how do you know they were not on their holidays to england and were filming it for the memories ….. oh yeah i forgot – those are memories folk repress 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also were they wearing excessive armour or did they have too much travel? Dis one of them call strava or cut a corner? Can we get a STW full house of hate 😉

shortcut

Is it something to do with the £250 prize for getting on YBF?

ontor
    Free Member

Though I notice Dave is using it a bit more these days.

two wrongs don’t make a right.

it’s *almost* enough to dig out my old project. I think I might have a little play this afternoon…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m sure the irony isn’t lost on you. Being an adult, riding a bike for fun in the woods.

ajantom

Meh, they were on bikes, you know ones with wheels.
    We are all playing with toys, but back to my original point, there does seem to be a preponderance of the things around. I hope they enjoy their films, but the reality is that it probably detracts from the pleasure of the actual ride….stopping to faff with something on your head or chest.
    On the other hand, I don’t really see any cameras when out riding ‘natural’ stuff – well I don’t really see many other riders in general. Definite shift in peoples riding habits away from the open to the closed. But that’s another thread right there.

ontor
    Free Member

Definite shift in peoples riding habits away. But that’s another thread right there.

Lets not get started on the fencing of the outdoors into approved play parks…

ajantom

Ontor – I’ll have you know I see all of my bikes as an ongoing Dadaist experiment in the juxtaposition of the natural with the man made.

ontor
    Free Member

Ontor – I’ll have you know I see all of my bikes as an ongoing Dadaist experiment in the juxtaposition of the natural with the man made.

How is your bonded steerer on “THE BEAST”?

ajantom

Held up nicely, back to rigid at the moment. Might put them back on for the summer.

hardcoreprawn
    Free Member

I do think it would be nice if people just enjoyed their ride and didn’t feel the need to judge everyone else 😆

wallop

Live and let live, OP. What other people do is up to them – there is space on the internet for all of us.

Northwind

hora – Member

I know but why film yourself on doubletrack or descending easy bridleway?

Why take photos of the place you went on holiday? Why not just look at someone else’s photos, they probably went somewhere nicer? If descending easy bridleway is something you enjoy, why not record it? Or if you want to capture a whole ride. (I have footage of me climbing, and eating haribos, and looking at frogs)

Everyone else’s gopro footage was not recorded to amuse you, they did it for themselves. Sometimes they’re good for other people to watch- apparently some of mine are OK- but mostly that’s just a side effect.

maxtorque

Wait for said cinematic mincers at the end of the trail, and politely ask if they got any good footage you overtaking them on said trail? Double points if you included any of the following in your overtaking move:

1) A whip
    2) A Roost
    3) A skid
    4) A barspin
    5) A ‘moto’ style table top horizontal bike lifty uppy thingy (sorry, don’t know the proper name for that one….)

Tripple your points if the bike you were riding is “murdered out” and you were wearing googles with an Enduro open face helmet

Quadruple your points if you can then get them to stand around for over 10 mins whilst you explain to them in explicit detail how your 650b wheels make the trail come alive (1 point for using any of the following “Kinematics” / “Laterally stiff” / “Gnarpoon” / “rippin it”.

😉

prawny

I’m glad of people recording dull pov vids and putting them on YouTube, it means I can check out their trails and know what to expect before I go there.

aracer
    Free Member

Finding that posted on Youtube, priceless.

Though it occurs to me that there’s probably a gap in the market as it doesn’t yet seem to be possible to live stream to FB so that all your friends can enjoy your mincing down the trail along with you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Filming yourself going slowly’ is closed to new replies.