Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fiennes does it
  • Houns
    Albanach
    Free Member

Just finished reading his autobiography, delighted he made it – what a legend!

qwerty
    Free Member

😆

Houns

Haven’t read it yet, gave it my old man as a present, i’m waiting for him to finish it

miketually
    Free Member

What an inspiration he is.

repatriot
    Free Member

He is a legend, i have total respect for him.
    he just doesn’t give up.

Bedds
    Free Member

That’s made me happy 🙂 I read his autobiography after getting it for christmas.. the man’s incredible..”for the next three days we didn’t sleep” ?!!!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

A man to be admired, a more suitable hero figure for kids than someone like Ronaldo IMO.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Sir Ranulph turned back from the summit on his first attempt in 2005 after having a heart attack.”

Not sure this is accurate. He did have a heart attack… but at Bristol airport, and not strictly after he’d “turned back from the summit”.

He is an incredibly motivated, focussed and ruthless person. When he does lectures, he plays on his ruthlessness as humour and it’s both funny and serious. He was talking about one of the Antarctic trips when his late wife Ginny was manning the station. She couldn’t manhandle oil barrels so he had to recruit a big bloke to stay in camp with her. He set out to find someone really ugly so as to avoid temptation … and he meant it!

Top bloke though. Well done Ran.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sir Ranulph had a triple heart bypass in 2003 after suffering from a heart attack.

Only four months later, he and Dr Stroud ran seven marathons in seven days on seven continents.

Hat’s off. Wow.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am over the moon he made it! The bloke is one of my heroes and is an inspiration a true Brit and a true adventure. He is a great figurehead fo Marie Curie too.

sharki
    Free Member

Rumour has it he will be doing the exmoor explorer this year, he lives local and often trains on the moor ..

rOcKeTdOg

is that picture of him on the summit? baseball cap and a fleece. hardcore or is Everest a walk in the park these days?

vinnyeh

PeterPoddy – Member

Sir Ranulph had a triple heart bypass in 2003 after suffering from a heart attack.

Only four months later, he and Dr Stroud ran seven marathons in seven days on seven continents.

Hat’s off. Wow.

I know. Think of the carbon footprint. And the pointlessness. 😈

But seriously, a great adventurer- I don’t tend to think of him as being an explorer in, say, the Burton mould- and rather unusually these days not relying on , or driven by commercial motivation. I’ve really enjoyed reading a lot of his books, though ‘The Feathermen’ is a bit of an oddity. As rogerthecat says, someone to tell your kids about.

Theodlite
    Free Member

And don’t forget Kenton Cool. Think thats his 6th time on top now. Nice bloke too.

tomlevell

is that picture of him on the summit? baseball cap and a fleece. hardcore or is Everest a walk in the park these days?

As there appears to be a peak behind him I doubt it’s the top ;0)

He’s not got down yet which is an important part of doing it.

crazy-legs

Saw that this morning on the news, great acheivement. 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I recall one his sayings from a lecture: he and Ginny decided that when organising expeditions to “never to pay anyone anything, ever”. So yes, very non-commercial!

matthewjb
    Free Member

Brilliant quote from him after making it.

“This is the closest you can get to the moon by walking.”

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fiennes does it’ is closed to new replies.