• This topic has 20 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Feeling Sorry For Myself
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Had a great ride yesterday and decided I would go out again this morning (even though it was raining) and meet up with a mate to do the local loop.

I have to ride 2 miles from my front door on the road to get to the start of the trails. About a mile in I approached a mini roundabout with the intention to go straight on.

As I started to enter the r'bout a car approached from the left and started to slow, he saw me, he was looking at me, I clocked him, but he decided he was going anyway. **** the cyclist.

I altered my path to avoid him and turned to give him a torrent of abuse, that split second was too long. I turned back to focus on my exit but my front wheel clipped the kerb and washed out. Unfortunately there are two bollards on the pavement. I struck the first bollard with my left lower back and it nearly snapped me in two (or certainly felt like it).

The bike spun of on one direction and I ended up face down in the road. Thankfully a very pretty lady in a Z4 and a nice couple on a motorbike stopped and dragged me off the road. As I was in a great deal of pain. The d1ck that was the catalyst didn't stop.

I'm now black and blue. My lower back is severly swollen and full of fluid, I struggle to walk and can't get comfortable in any position. I spent two hours in A&E this morning before getting hacked off and walking (I use the term loosely) out. They did tell me it would be a four hour wait though so I should have known. Depending on my condition I may go back early tomorrow morning.

Not sure when I'll be back in the saddle again. I was sooo looking forward to the ride, feeling upbeat and was making plans for trips in August and September. Feeling miserable and all because of some c**t!!

jam-bo

so in summary, you rode into the pavement because you weren't looking where you were going?

RichPenny
    Free Member

You'll heal quickly, the bloke who caused the problem is always going to be a ****. You need to find solace in that. Also you've learnt an important lesson: Look where you're going 😉

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Get straight to a Chiropractor.. apparantly the sooner you go the better they can treat you… best to get the back properly looked at..
    See my post from y/day.. they are brilliant..

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Yes, it was a bad case of not looking where I was going as I was concentrating on avoiding said person and letting him know my displeasure.

I'm not blaming the driver, the reason I crashed was an error in judging my speed and spacial awareness, although his interference didn't help.

Just feeling sorry for myself as I'm in a lot of pain and uncomfortable with no idea if I'll be riding next weekend, or the weekend after, or the weekend etc etc.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

funny thing is neverfastenuff I was at the chiropractors and physios for a ripped muscle in the opposite side of my back in May. Maybe it'll balance itself out now I've banged my left side.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Plenty of ice packs then… I hope you recover quickly..

project
    Free Member

Bollards,

Drac

Dr's appointment, Minory Injuries or Walk in Centre tomorrow. Your not an A+E case so will be right at the back of the queue, don't bother with a chiropractor until you've have had medical advice.

Until the pain killer you normally take Iburufen will help if you can take it and have a nice soak in the bath.

Get well soon.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Inflammation… no hot baths… Ice packs are the way to go..

Drac

Hot baths increase blood flow therefore helping the inflammation.

PJ266
    Free Member

Errrrrr, i was under the impression heat increased the swelling? i guess that could just be in the early stages though.

Depends on how you mean "helping" too 😉

WackoAK
    Free Member

Get a good book and go back and wait at the A&E.

Drac

Errrrrr, i was under the impression heat increased the swelling? i guess that could just be in the early stages though.

Only if the swelling was caused by a blockage maybe but no.

Get a good book and go back and wait at the A&E.

He's not an A+E case.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Ouch. 🙁

The worst accident I didn't see in 5 years riding in London was almost caused by a bloke making elaborate and disapproving hand signals at a driver instead of looking where he was going.

BigJohn

Yep. The bloke who was flying along the pavement outside my gate when it was covered in sheet ice survived the swerve as I gingerly walked out, but fell as he turned round to swear at me.

Davros23
    Free Member

I'd go to A&E, you may have fractured something. And you don't mess around with your back.

BigJohn

Best book to take to A&E is any written by Vikram Seth.

1) They're long and well written.
    2) If you get seen by an Indian doctor you'll be treated better than if you were a private patient.

jond
    Free Member

>Hot baths increase blood flow therefore helping the inflammation.

Err, no, they increase the swelling/bruising.
    IIRC after 2 or 3 days you can swap from ice packs to hot baths

Google for 'rest ice compression elevation'

johnners
    Free Member

Google Drac for Paramedic.

Drac

Err, no, they increase the swelling/bruising.

Go on explain why?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Feeling Sorry For Myself’ is closed to new replies.