Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Feeling pretty down at the moment …
  • ART

Hey Sue,

That sounds like the perfect storm of events, so no apologies for being down, it only takes one extra thing (that’ll be the flu, which you probably got cause of the stress at work) to make it all feel too much. Plus it is that time of year; lots of annoying tinsel and artificial happiness being thrown at you – when it ain’t your bag. Having replied to your ‘should I go to London’ thread, I can now see the motivation behind that. By standing up to this bloke (sadly plenty like him around) you are doing what everyone else wishes they had the courage to do. Write it as you see it, from a solid, professional perspective. Treat it like any report, with evidence, facts, analysis, summary of key points etc. Put the (upset) emotion to one side and look forward to the better feeling that will come when you’ve done it. Everyone should be entitled to do their job to the best of their ability without being undermined by people like him. CCW HR will, I hope, be concerned about the future and well being of their best employees (given the pending upheavals etc) and want to sort this out.

In the meantime, suggestions for getting out and connecting to the good stuff up there ^^ are all good, 😀 and I can’t top the Lady Gaga joke, sorry. 😉

Edit… Gaga, topped by classic Binners class there 8)

epicyclo

Bear in mind he is probably feeling under stress too. Crank it up a bit and try to look impervious to him.

Good luck.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Reading your first post, you obviously *are* the victim because this situation has caused you distress.

Nothing to be ashamed of, it doesn’t make you a weaker person to admit that you’ve been upset by the actions of an individual. You also say you’ve always had the courage to stand up to bullies, so keep up the good work!

Far better to admit you’ve been victimised, address the problem and get something done about it than put on a brave face and let it wash over you. Sounds like too many people have done that before with this character which is why he’s been able to get away with it.

Good luck! :o)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve just found out that my girlfriend doesn’t have tourettes.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

How does she smell?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

Bear in mind he is probably feeling under stress too. Crank it up a bit and try to look impervious to him.

Good luck.

Good point

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How does she smell?

Badly. She had a knock on the head just before I met her. Luckily it only affected her sense of smell.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I myself had a bang on the head and then lost my sense of smell, but they’re not connected.

clubber
    Free Member

What do we want?
    A cure for Tourettes!
    When do we want it?

****!

😉

donsimon
    Free Member

My dog smells awful.

iDave
    Free Member

What do we want?
    To lose weight!
    When do we want it?
    After lunch!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ear, Clubber; did you just call me a ****?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

She doesn’t really… she just thinks I’m a ****.

clubber
    Free Member

Elfin – I didn’t call you a ****. I called you a **** 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

No mention of weeing in shoes or ownership of bombers. Dear me this forum is slipping. Time for a flounce.

IHN

We’re all behind you.

Definitely. I’m looking at your bum.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Dirty bastid. 😡

Punch ‘im in the marf, Sue!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Sue. It sounds like your superiors are taking you seriously but I don’t think it would help your cause to argue with their terminology.
    When you are having a hard time, try thinking of the hard times you’ve had in the past. Then remind yourself that you are still here, you got through those times and that sooner or later these hard times will be just memories like the others. Think about the things in your life outside work that the person giving you grief cannot affect. Unless you are also homeless, going through a marriage breakup and unemployed, all of which happened to me more or less simultaneously about 20 years ago there’s probably plenty in your life to be positive about. They were bad times to be sure but I now like to think they have given me a better perspective on life.

binners

Don’t tell IHN, but I’m behind him, looking at his bum

See. Not so clever now, is he?

Sue_W
    Free Member

“weeing in shoes” is a bit harder if you’re a girl – directional control issues and all that 🙂

Statement drafted with a more rational, professional head on – one of the advantages of the type of work I do is that I’m at least well-used to putting forward a coherent, evidence based case. I have some concerns about having some input into what happens next – it would appear that decsions about my future position might be determined without consultation, which I’m not particularly happy with.

And yes, in some ways I can see some of the reasons behind his behaviour – most bullying is driven by insecurity. If he had expressed it as that, rather than doing what he did, he would have had my full sympathy and support.

As a few of you have said, it is partly timing – it been combined with illness, winter weather, the bombardment of OTT xmas ‘festivities’, and having one of those periodic ‘dealing with getting over seperation’ moments (usually fine, raises it’s head at Xmas / birthday times etc).

But I have dealt with far, far worse than this and got through / over it, so i know that this situation will pass as well. And in the meantime, if it would just stop being so blooming windy!, I have a dog to walk and a bike to ride 🙂

Once again everybody, many thanks. You are all absolutely AWESOME 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

it would appear that decsions about my future position might be determined without consultation, which I’m not particularly happy with.

Not acceptable. Dare I say Union? You must not be disadvantaged for whistleblowing. Your organisation will have a series of policies on how to deal with these sorts of situations

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The one thing that you need to remember is that nothing that they think, say or do matters in any way shape or form. Why would it matter?

Sue_W
    Free Member

TJ – Union involved already, situation rather complicated. Will e-mail you off-forum later, if that’s OK?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Hang in there Sue, it’ll get better. Was in a similar situation for a long period of time, which resulted in being signed off for 5 months and a lot of impact on my health. Feel free to email if you want help /advice (in similar line of work).

Make time for you and do things you enjoy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sue aren’t you in Cardiff? Or was that only occasionally?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sue only goes to Cardiff when she has to sort out Wales. 🙂

IHN

Don’t tell IHN, but I’m behind him, looking at his bum

More than I like to watch, I like to be watched. Mmmm…

Sue_W
    Free Member

DGOAB – thanks. (did you get your cx bike choice sorted?)

molgrips – I don’t live in Cardiff – usually down there every couple of weeks, or alternatively heading for London or sometimes Edinburgh.

binners

Uncle Jezza to the rescue 😀

More than I like to watch, I like to be watched. Mmmm…

You’re on a win/win at the moment. Give us a wiggle 😉

IHN

Give us a wiggle

Ask me nicely and I’ll give you a stroke 🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Errrr, yes. I’m going for a custom build! Between that and the new xc race mtb i want, i’m looking to sell my kidneys to fund it all! 😆 I’ve just got too many requirements for an off the shelf frame and any which do meet all my requirements are too big…somehow i survived all of October touring round Portugal and Spain on my tripster but in far too much pain to ride it here. Hmm…maybe i should keep the tripster and move abroad.

Anna-B
    Free Member

I was given and read this a few years ago

I found it very reassuring to read, at a time when I had been made to doubt my ability to do anything right by a workplace bully. It gives a useful insight into the psychology of bullies and how to deal with them.

Fighting Back

I have a dog called Minton. He steals shuttlecocks, and when he does, I say to him “Bad Minton!”

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Has anyone made a joke about times of the month yet?

MrsToast
    Free Member

“weeing in shoes” is a bit harder if you’re a girl – directional control issues and all that

Don’t allow anatomical concerns get in the way of vengeance! Get a She Wee!

In all seriousness, I hope it gets sorted for you. Sounds like you’ve got good colleagues and the company are taking it seriously, so focus on that. I was on a nightmare project a couple of years ago and it nearly caused me to pack in my job, particularly as the guy running the team was a complete dictator and a bully. Fortunately he was elbowed out of the company a few months after the project had finished, but I have to admit, the whole situation still affects me now. :/

nickf
    Free Member

Sue, sounds dreadful.

As I have no HR advice to give, some truly appalling jokes:

I met a Dutch girl with inflatable shoes last week, phoned her up to arrange a date but unfortunately she’d popped her clogs.

So I said “Do you want a game of Darts?”, he said “OK then”, I said “Nearest to bull starts”. He said “Baa”, I said “Moo”, he said “You’re closest”.

I saw this bloke chatting up a cheetah, I thought “he’s trying to pull a fast one”.

So I said to this train driver “I want to go to Paris”. He said “Eurostar?”. I said “Hey, I might have been on telly, but I’m no Dean Martin”.

So I said to the Gym instructor “Can you teach me to do the splits?”. He said “How flexible are you?”. I said “I can’t make Tuesdays”.

But I’ll tell you what I love doing more than anything: trying to pack myself in a small suitcase. I can hardly contain myself.

Now did you know all male tennis players are witches, for example Goran, even he’s a witch.

So a lorry-load of tortoises crashed into a train-load of terrapins, I thought “That’s a turtle disaster”.

Four fonts walk into a bar. The barman says “Oi – get out! We don’t want your type in here”.

A jump-lead walks into a bar. The barman says “I’ll serve you, but don’t start anything”.

A man walks into a bar with a roll of tarmac under his arm and says: “Pint please, and one for the road.”

A three-legged dog walks into a saloon in the Old West. He slides up to the bar and announces: “I’m looking for the man who shot my paw.”

A group of chess enthusiasts checked into a hotel and were standing in the lobby discussing their recent tournament victories. After about an hour, the manager came out of the office and asked them to disperse. “But why?” they asked, as they moved off. “Because,” he said, “I can’t stand chess nuts boasting in an open foyer.”

I went to the butchers the other day and I bet him 50 quid that he couldn’t reach the meat off the top shelf. He said, “No, the steaks are too high.”

My friend drowned in a bowl of muesli. A strong currant pulled him in..

Two Eskimos were sitting in their canoe and got a bit chilly. So they hey lit a fire in the craft, which sank, proving once and for all that you can’t have your kayak and heat it.

Our ice cream man was found lying dead on the floor of his van covered with hundreds and thousands. Soor fella had topped himself.

Man goes to the doctor, with a strawberry growing out of his head. Doc says “I’ll give you some cream to put on it.”

“Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home.” “That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome. ” “Is it common? ” “It’s not unusual.”

A man takes his Rottweiler to the vet. “My dog’s cross-eyed, is there anything you can do for him? ” “Well,” says the vet, “let’s have a look at him” So he picks the dog up and examines his eyes, then checks his teeth. Finally, he says, “I’m going to have to put him down.” “What? Because he’s cross-eyed? ” “No, because he’s really heavy”

Sue_W
    Free Member

TSY

times of the month

Plural? you have more than one per month? 😆

nickf – PMSL! Thank you

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Pretty much all the time Sue.

Sue_W
    Free Member

TSY – ah, that explains a lot 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good luck Sue. I hope that you have a good HR department and a strong CEO. I have yet to see this kind of case reach a positive conclusion, so I hope you can prove me wrong. Too often the HR monkeys simply close ranks and look for the easy rather than the best solution.

Only one piece of advice – do burden your friends, that is why they are friends. Don’t do this on your own and internet support can only go so far. Use the real shoulders to “cry-on”, your time will come to pay them back. Real friends know that.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah, don’t it :raging hormonal simley:

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Feeling pretty down at the moment …’ is closed to new replies.