Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Feeling fluey…
  • funkynick

Have woken up this morning with a sore throat and feeling really rather fluey, but not enough that I would not go to work, normally I would just dose myself and go, but with all this pandemic stuff flying about, is that really the sensible thing to do?

Am currently waiting on NHS Direct to get back to me with the latest advice, so any bets on how long that will take?

Drac

If you can be bother to even type on here it’s not the flu.

uplink
    Free Member

Best go straight to A&E – dial 999 maybe

Those folks that have been on TV with supposed pig flu hardly seem affected by it – hanging out of windows & chatting etc.

On another related issue – why have the Scots got Edith Bowman as a health minister?

Jamie
    Free Member

It is probably Swine Flu. You could try calling the Swine Flu hotline, but when i tried yesterday I couldn’t hear a thing …… there was too much crackling on the line.

IGMC.

Joxster
    Free Member

Had a bacon sandwich recently?

surfer
    Free Member

Only had Flu once. Lost about 2 weeks of my life!

Its pretty awful and its easy to distinguish it from the normal “cold” type symptoms that most people claim are Flu!
    As Drac says if you have the strength to post on here its probably “man flu”

funkynick

As I said, normally I’d MTFU and get into work, full to the brim with paracetamol and strepsils…

And so far, every case you hear about in the UK doesn’t seem to have been any worse than a normal cold.

Maybe 999 is the answer… 😉 or International Rescue?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Its pretty awful and its easy to distinguish it from the normal “cold” type symptoms that most people claim are Flu!

Having said that, there was a little girl interviewed this morning who got swine flu, and said it was just like a normal cold.

p.s. My answer wouldn’t have sounded like a repeat of the one above if I hadn’t wandered out of the office between starting and finishing it 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

I honestly can’t believe a grown man has phoned nhs direct because he has a sore throat and is ‘feeling really rather fluey’. Get a grip ffs and stop wasting peoples time.

funkynick

So Gary, what is the current advice for someone who is feeling fluey having been away for the weekend with a bunch of people from all over the country while there is a possible flu pandemic on the horizon?

I’m certainly not saying I am too ill to go to work, and I have said above, I would have gone in at any other time, but with lots of be alert stuff being pumped out by the government shouldn’t it be treated with at least some caution and ask for advice?

Drac

I honestly can’t believe a grown man has phoned nhs direct because he has a sore throat and is ‘feeling really rather fluey’.

That’s a rather serious compliant compared to many calls.

what is the current advice for someone who is feeling fluey having been away for the weekend with a bunch of people from all over the country while there is a possible flu pandemic on the horizon

To be realistic and realise that 500 cases world wide is hardly a pandemic.

And if your still so concerned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/30_04_09_swineflu.pdf

When you read that take note to see there is no pandemic outbreak.

Gary_M
    Free Member

So Gary, what is the current advice for someone who is feeling fluey having been away for the weekend with a bunch of people from all over the country while there is a possible flu pandemic on the horizon?

Dunno why don’t you look on the nhs website to find out.

soobalias
    Free Member

you have a cold or man-flu.

take the day off and possibly tomorrow to ensure you dont give it to anyone else, then a dose of mtfu should do it.

mt
    Free Member

If politicians are just “snouts in the trough” how come they don’t have swine flue.

funkynick

Well, I did say a possible pandemic!

Gary, I did look on the NHS website, and on Direct Gov, and even downloaded the leaflet that we are all going to get delivered… there’s some info about what to do if you have been to Mexico or the US and are feeling ill, but nothing specific if you haven’t been there. Any further suggestions?

Drac

Any further suggestions?

Read the leaflet again tells you exactly what you need to do.

uplink
    Free Member

Have you been to a Mexican restaurant lately or had any Mexican beer?

miketually
    Free Member

Have you been to a Mexican restaurant lately or had any Mexican beer?

Or been intimate with a pig that had a runny nose?

I’ve only had proper flu once; I spent a week laid on the sofa and even answering the phone wiped me out and made me need a nap.

If you looked out of the window and saw a £20 note on the floor, but wouldn’t have the energy to go out and get it, it’s flu.

funkynick

Drac… the leaflet says phone the flu info line, and then phone the Docs or NHS Direct, with the flu info line pretty much just repeating what the leaflet says.

Mike.. well, the other half had a bit of a sniffle… does that count? 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

there’s some info about what to do if you have been to Mexico or the US and are feeling ill, but nothing specific if you haven’t been there.

I haven’t been there either and I’ve had a sore throat and bit of a cold for the last week. I honestly haven’t considered swine flu.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Different people are affected by flu to different extents and there’s not just a switch that gets thrown so you feel at maximum discomfort. It takes a few hours to develop and can be different intensity depending on how it affects you as a person and your current state of health. All the “man up” and “if you can type it’s not flu” advice is on one hand pretty pointless as it takes none of this into consideration. However, its surely HIGHLY unlikely to be swine flu so really the man-up advice makes sense, if you think you’re ill stay off so you dont spread it, but often the most infectious stage is not when you feel the effects.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Do you get sick pay? If you do what’s the dillema? Stay at home and keep your nasty germs away from your colleagues.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

You’ve complaining about a bit of man-flu and your other half has now got bit of a sniffle, could be bird-flu?

dr_death
    Free Member

Current advice we are getting is;

If you haven’t been to Mexico in the last 7 days, if you haven’t been to New York in the last 7 days, if you haven’t been in contact with any of the above – it’s not swine flu.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Feeling fluey…’ is closed to new replies.