Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)
  • **** BMW drivers…………
  • renton
    Free Member

So im coming up the m42 this morning and i come up behind a clio in the outside lane behind a bmw 325 in the outside lane doing 60mph??

clio pulls over and i move up behind this bmw and give him a friendly flash to let him know and get him to move over as the inside and middle lanes are empty for at least 1/2 mile.

anyway bmw isnt moving so i indicate and go to undertake as i want to get to work on time and this bloke is holding me and a queue forming behind me.

as im over taking this nobber starts accelrating but im wanting to make a point so im not giving up and we get to about 100mph (funny how he can speed up then !!) and i get in front (well actually just stay in middle lane) and then this prick moves behind me and then starts flashing me for the next mile or so every other second!!!!

why couldnt he just move over or is it his god given right as bmw driver to sit in the outside lane all the time??

renton
    Free Member

Im starting to get fed up with my daily commute!!

jimmy

sounds like a right road-owning nudger

jam-bo

so you performed an illegal undertake, raced on a public highway and exceeded the speed limit by 30mph?

be careful all the way up there on that high horse….

😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flashing him is not friendly. I bet you were too close as well. 2 second rule

Still he does sound a knobber. Don't get involved as you did and making that overtake would have saved you a few tenths of a second.

Relax. You get there as quickly and far less stressed

jimmy

i agree with jam bo, but if the tool sits there in the outside lane ignoring all requests to move over and then speeds up, he is the one on his road-owning high horse.

markd
    Free Member

So undertaking him and accepting his negative response and going up to 100mph is EXCELLENT driving then?

It's not your responsibility to 'make a point', that's when accidents happen.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

when he got in behind you you should have stood on the anchors. Not big or clever but you may have got a claim in and a few weeks off riding. Imo.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Would you have posted this same thread had the driver been in something that wasn't a BMW?

renton
    Free Member

I was sat further back than the two second rule, I was being patient and apart from flashing him once i did nothing else to upset him.

yes I undertook , I didnt like doing it but this chopper wasnt moving form love nor money, ditto speeding up to 100mph not big nor clever.

I do 24000 miles a year mostly on the motorway and the standard of driving I see is sometimes quite scary !!

renton
    Free Member

CFH yes i would!!

jam-bo

I do 24000 miles a year mostly on the motorway and the standard of driving I see is sometimes quite scary !!

and if you'd observed two cars doing what you did this morning?

renton
    Free Member

Fair one Jambo but i just get sooooooooo frustrated with it .

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sorry renton – you lost the plot, got involved in a road rage incident and performed a dangerous manoeuvre.

Relax and slow down.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Interesting. Renton, what car do you drive?

renton
    Free Member

A ford Cmax diesel

TJ you are right I did !!

allthepies
    Free Member

For 7 months last yr I had to use the M3 and M25 weekdays to get to work. Hated it, there are some reet strokers out there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hmmm, I'm with Flash. I suspect you'd have worded the title a little differently though. All your messing around on the motorway probably got you to work around a nanosecond earlier. No time is made or lost on a moving motorway. It's the few miles before and after where your time is taken.

As TeeJ says, relax. I know it's frustrating when you come up against guys like this (funny though, I find it's the person that's the cock, rather than the car), but give them a bit longer to move. DON'T flash, and let someone behind you execute the crazy undertake manouevre.

FuzzyWuzzy

That's your first problem, second is losing it and endangering other road users

tonyg2003

renton have a think about it this way. There is an unmarked police car behind you at this incident. Which one do they stop for dangerous driving? You the flashing undertaker or the BMW driver not exceeding the speed limit not breaking the law. You I'm afraid. Chill out.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So im coming up the m42 this morning in the outside lane in my bmw 325 in the outside lane doing about 60mph.

Some idiot in a Cmax moves behind me starts flashing his lights aggresively.

Well, in that case, I think to myself, I'll just stay out here for a little while, have a laugh at Mr Impatient "I have ot be at work on time, the world will end if I'm five minutes late" behind me.

So, this muppet undertakes me, starts accelerating. Well, let's enjoy this I think, so I accelerate along with him. I think he was trying to make some kind of point about how macho he was. After it all got a little silly, I let him pull in front and then I decided to give him a friendly flash or two of my lights to remind him what a nobber he was.

why couldnt he just wait patiently or is it his god given right as a Cmax driver to sit in the outside lane all the time??

Hmmm.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Flashing him is not friendly.

I think it's particularly non-agressive, it's just a friendly reminder, or at least that's how I see it. Unfortunately it seems lots of people see it as questioning their manhood. Sometimes we all get caught in theouter lane for a smidge longer than we need to and I'd rather have a friendly "im here" flash than someone sat on my arse at speed! Of course that's not the same as full-beaming someone for 10 seconds until they move out of the way etc.

You the flashing undertaker or the BMW driver not exceeding the speed limit not breaking the law. You I'm afraid. Chill out.

Flashing is perfectly legal and recommended to alert other drivers to your presence.

renton
    Free Member

DD i sat behind him for at least 1/2 mile and it was clear he wasnt going to move over and that he wasnt catching the traffic.

I moved over to the middle land and just graduly sped upto 75-80 mph and then he started speeding up and then pulled in behind me and started flashing me ?? (at this point i had slowed to 70mph and all the traafic that was queued behind us was steaming past in the outside lane)

surfer
    Free Member

Renton. You were never going to get any (overt) sympathy.

I share your frustration however "flashing" is never interpreted as "friendly" unless you are letting somebody pull out.
    You were very aggresive even though the other driver sounds like an idiot.

renton
    Free Member

I flashed him once( cant see how that can be classed as aggresive?) and then sat there for the next half mile whilst traffic is building up behind us.

Taff
    Free Member

I agree with both Jam bo and with Renton. I would have flashed him as he was being a b'end but probably wouldn't have raced him. I would have however have waved Madam Palm and her five lovely daughtersat him. To be honest it sounds like a Jonboy who was out there to wind someone up and succeeded

Don't know what it is about beemer drivers that makes them drive like tw**s. Had issues with one on the roundabouts in Chuichesters the other week where the left lane of the dual carriageway was busy and I was cruising along at 70 passing the traffic on the inside lane. He flashed me which in that situation I just gave him the bird and carried on. First place where 3 lanes come along he tries to owertake me on the outside lane to cut in fronmt of me then beeps at me as I was in the right and wouldn't let him in. I then slowed to 60… off to buy me a beemer now

roper
    Free Member

Why not leave the house 15 seconds earlier then you could drive safely without losing your temper and stop making it more dangerous on the road for other drivers?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

You get total knobs speeding past you then you find after they have turned off at the same junction as you intended, come across traffic lights, roundabouts and que's you end up right behind them whilst you have been driving in a non rushed sensible chilled out manner. Don't get drawn into it. Calm Down Dear!

molgrips
    Free Member

Then you pull into the middle lane, move to undertake, and then when he speeds off you let him.

Fop
    Free Member

get him to move over as the inside and middle lanes are empty for at least 1/2 mile.

and i get in front (well actually just stay in middle lane)

So he's in the wrong for hogging the 2nd overtaking lane, so you thought you'd hog the first? Something wrong with the inside lane?!

IanMunro
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member

You did the right thing in giving him a flash, especially after the previous car undertook him. But I wouldn't have waited and followed him first – just flashed as I came behind, as its more effective if he looks up and sees a car approaching at speed.

When I had an Omega (with Xenons) EVERYBODY moved out of the way, especially when I was wearing a white shirt…

And you weren't 'undertaking', but passing on the left – which is legal in a number of circumstances, such as when the car on the right is in a queue – which must be why he was cruising below the speed limit with the left lane(s) empty, Officer.

10pmix
    Free Member

Nothing to do with BMWs either really. Some are driven by knobs but then so are all other makes of car. I don't drive one btw! I rarely see aggressive bad driving, what I see from most bad drivers is poor lane disclipline and complete lack of awareness of what is going on around them. A large number of drivers might as well do away wiht their mirrors as they have no use for them.

And if you are in a chilled out going slowly mood because you left 15 mins earlier than you needed to then move aside for those that are in a hurry or just aren't as good at relaxing and time management as you.

Why people claim they are calm, relaxed and above the bad drivers but at the same time boast about deliberately obstructing those wishing to go faster or even more bizarre start shouting or showing rude gestures to them as they try to get past is beyond me. Just move aside and the problem is gone. I flashed a guy last night doing 50mph in the fast lane on an empty dual carriageway (in a Zafira not a BMW) and his reaction was to slam on his brakes and giving me the middle finger. Why didn't he just pull over….

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sorry, but im with Renton on this one.
    What was he supposed to do? Just sit and wait? I'd have waited for a while and then done the same i suspect. Doesnt make it right, but there you go.

spooky_b329

When stuck behind a lane hogger, lots of people would pass on the inside. The real issue here is that you got caught up in a race whilst doing it…as soon as he started to pull away, just let him, he'll either carry on faster, or have to slow down again which will just piss off the drivers still following in the outside lane.

Have to admit though, it does sound like he was pacing the traffic ahead but was just maintaining a big gap rather than catching it. If the cars ahead are disappearing into the distance then that's different, but I find leaving your right indicator on is a more effective way of reminding the car in front to move over…its not as aggressive as flashing the lights which normally causes the driver in front to get defensive. Light flashing only works for people who are day dreaming and need a quick dazzle to wake them up 🙂

I nearly got caught out a few weeks ago…dual carriageway between roundabouts, I'm in the left lane at 50mph (as I'm towing) gaining on a car dawdling in the outside lane. As I approach to cruise past on the inside, another car (BMW as it happens!) belts up behind the car and brakes hard, flashes, there are a few moments whilst the BMW tries to squeeze between us to get past, then as the car in front carries on, I start to pass. BMW then flashes car again, he wakes up and carves across in front of me. I had the service lane as a bail out but I was still behind so didn't need it…would never try and pass on the inside if there was no space to get out the way. There was also a right turn at the roundabout a 1/2 mile ahead so assume the car was in the correct lane, just a bit early.

wellhung
    Free Member

Was this the variable speed limit section?

If it was, hope you both get a ban for both driving like strokers?

I also drive 20,000 miles per annum and i'm sick to death of sharing the
    road with drivers like you two

renton
    Free Member

Ian Munro ….. not sure what that has got to do with this ???

GreenK
    Free Member

Each and every one of us is the only driver on the planet that knows how it should be done properly! 😉

renton
    Free Member

well hung .

not a variable spped limit section.

traffic was at least 1/2 mile ahead of him and wasnt catching it, if anything they were pulling away slightly, hard to tell at the distance .

Im not an aggrsive driver, never have been .

I only wanted to get to work .

wwaswas

renton – I can see why you did this in the heat of the moment but why on earth did you post it on here?

"I undertook and did 100mph racing another car in morning traffic just to make a point to a bloke in a BMW whos driving I took exception to"

where did you expect the thread to go?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘**** BMW drivers…………’ is closed to new replies.