• This topic has 179 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 180 total)
  • Fat nurses
  • donsimon
    Free Member

…or maybe its just a bit of a piss take? Perhaps some nail technicians didn’t start life called Dave or Simon.

Oi!

The last time I had contact with nurses they definitely weren’t fat, ok they did drink and smoke, but from where I was sitting, they were not fat. Mind you they were still student nurses at the time and not full blown nurses.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If remember rightly derek_starship, you’re fat ………….what sort of message does that send out about off-road cyclists ?

Or have you overcome your obesity problem, and now feel the need to exercise your new-found sanctimonious smugness ?

EDIT : I’ve just remembered, not only are you fat, but you are incredibly touchy about your overweight problem. You got extraordinarily upset a little while back, when some rather unkind STWers pointed out that you were a fat bastard.

Harry_the_Spider

or maybe ernie he was taking the piss and you’ve gone off on one again.

teagirl
    Free Member

Must be the odd hours we have to work mucking up our body clocks and the grumbles from lots of patients we have to take on board every day due to their elevated expectations of a groaning Health Service that causes comfort eating…. Food for thought..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Or maybe Harry_the_Spider, I’m taking the piss out of him eh, who knows …….. this piss-taking malarkey is so confusing

bagpuss72
    Free Member

depends what your ‘coping technique’ is? My freind’s a sister on high dependancy and she lives off her nerves, weird hours, doesn’t tend to get time for proper meals so snacks as and when she can but she’s very skinny, her sister who does the same job isn’t but everyone has ways they cope with stress levels etc, mines eating and drinking too much as I don’t smoke so healthy lungs, kackered liver….. 😯

backhander
    Free Member

STWers pointed out that you were a fat bastard.

😀

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It really is! When Fat blokes start shouting the odds about fat blokes, it leaves you wondering if they are woefully unself-aware or if they have different standards or if they are ‘projecting’ or maybe they aren’t fat at all, and all levels of recursion implied

derek_starship
    Free Member

Hey ernie.

Cool your boots man.

Harry_the_Spider

ernie_lynch – Member
    Or maybe Harry_the_Spider, I’m taking the piss out of him eh, who knows …….. this piss-taking malarkey is so confusing

From your editted post I’d say that you weren’t.

Woody
    Free Member

It did make me proper LOL though – sorry Mr Starship 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well I’m going to have accept your over-the-internet diagnosis then …….. I’ll go and lie down to see if I can calm down.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I didn’t see any fat nurses during any of my stays in hospital, nor during my dad’s time in hospital. Some of the nurses were amazing compassionate human beings who did everything humanly possible for their patients, some of them were incredibly unpleasant, unprofessional and unkind. All seemed nearly completely exhausted.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My daughter is in the second year of her nursing degree and currently doing a placement at our local hospital. I’ve been taking her to and from work lately and from what I’ve seen the majority of the female staff seem to be a bit on the portly side. Mind you I expect a lot are probably clerical staff sat around all day.

j_me
    Free Member

Food for thought.

Probably sounded like a fair swap at the time 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Some of the nurses were amazing compassionate human beings who did everything humanly possible for their patients, some of them were incredibly unpleasant, unprofessional and unkind. All seemed nearly completely exhausted

yes, that may be true, but of course the important thing is the weight they were carrying! It seems clear that chocolate_starfish is unhappy with a ‘fat nurse’ giving him advice. I wonder how discriminating he would be if that nurse were in A&E.

udder
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that these people who you are criticizing, are very much under paid and over worked. Do you think Nurses have much time between shifts to go to the shops, buy healthy fresh fruit and veg, prepare a meal and then go for a jog around the block to burn off any excess (let alone afford a gym membership)? I think you’ll find that most shift workers fashion similar physiques and that a frozen pizza from the freezer is their only option most of the time.

When Nurses sign up to become Nurses, they sign up because they have a burning desire to care for people. They’re all lovely people under the surface and I think you’ll find a lot of them are unhappy because they are treated so unfairly. The facts are that Nurses are directly responsible for people’s lives, but get paid far less than Policemen and even Teachers.

We will all need a nurse at some point. I think labeling them fat, lazy witches is rather harsh and in my opinion, they need our support rather than our criticism.

j_me
    Free Member
    derek_starship
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member

Dunno why everyone has gone off on one, he was only referring specifically to the nurses in his local doctors surgeries and hospitals. Can’t argue against that. We’d have to faind out what he means by ‘a lot’ but, he clearly wouldn’t be making it up.

followed by:

yes, that may be true, but of course the important thing is the weight they were carrying! It seems clear that chocolate_starfish is unhappy with a ‘fat nurse’ giving him advice. I wonder how discriminating he would be if that nurse were in A&E.

Wow! CharlieFungus – you flip over faster than a Chinese gymnast.

Do you have a short term memory problem?

Perhaps you should go and see a fat nurse about that.

Kit
    Free Member
    Drac

Do you think Nurses have much time between shifts to go to the shops, buy healthy fresh fruit and veg, prepare a meal and then go for a jog around the block to burn off any excess (let alone afford a gym membership)?

Now I will defend NHS workers to death most of the time but that there what you’ve written is a load of crap. Longer hours means more time off, shorter hours in a day means more time in the day to do other things.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

CharlieFungus? Is that the best you could do? Cynic-al used that a couple of days ago. Go on have a Mulligan, see what you can do this time.

Oh and where did I flip over?

Drac
    bonj
    Free Member

No different to fat bikers on here

Pot, kettle.

Quite. When I went to inners last year I saw a fella whose belly pretty much reached the handlebars. ‘Yeah but I bet he goes down hill quite fast!’
    Yeah. prob’ly goes down a chimney quite fast as well if santa was ever ill.

teagirl
    Free Member

j_me, Don’t take silly stats to back your spurious arguement, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Even if that was a realistic figure, could you bring a family up on that?

Kit
    Free Member

Sorry Drac, was that a reply to me? According to that website, nurses wages are lower than teachers. The way I read j_me’s post was that he thought nurses were on a good wage and therefore not underpaid. However, if he meant the opposite then apologies!

Drac

Sorry Drac, was that a reply to me? According to that website, nurses wages are lower than teachers. The way I read j_me’s post was that he thought nurses were on a good wage and therefore not underpaid. However, if he meant the opposite then apologies!

I misread your post. 😳

j_me
    Free Member

could you bring a family up on that?

Yep

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Post 1 – states you are referring to your local surgeries
    Post 2 – states that you were unhappy with the ‘fat nurse’

Where is the contradiction?

Drac

Even if that was a realistic figure, could you bring a family up on that?

Plenty seem to manage.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Thought to be fair, it’s not much for what will soon be a graduate profession.

Drac

Thought to be fair, it’s not much for what will soon be a graduate profession.

It’s been Uni driven for about 15+ years now.

Kit
    Free Member

I misread your post.

No worries 😉

Interestingly, I noted someone mentioned ‘job creep’ or something similar earlier in the thread, with respect to nurses’ responsibilities. Not sure exactly what extra work is being referred to, but while I was in hospital last week I was reading a book about nurses during WW1. They were responsible (apparently) on the battlefield for many advances in healthcare techniques, administering life-saving treatments, painkillers, dressings, anaesthesia and so on, well beyond their previously accepted duties in civilian life. Unfortunately their pioneering work and achievements were drowned out during and post-war by the ongoing politics and squabbling of the professional nursing associations regarding the role of volunteer nurses. This was never resolved, and the nursing achievements largely forgotten about. If the political situation had been resolved then the role of nursing could have changed radically since the 1920’s. The point being that what nurses may regard now as beyond their job remit could actually have been a staple skill, had attitudes been different 90 (or indeed 20) years ago.

derek_starship
    Free Member

CharlieLingus – your third post:

yes, that may be true, but of course the important thing is the weight they were carrying! It seems clear that chocolate_starfish is unhappy with a ‘fat nurse’ giving him advice. I wonder how discriminating he would be if that nurse were in A&E

Gone all nasty.

LIGAS.

molgrips
    Free Member

The facts are that Nurses are directly responsible for people’s lives, but get paid far less than Policemen and even Teachers

Whoah there. Are you suggesting that teachers are somehow bottom of the pile?

meehaja
    Free Member

Most nurses also have grey skin, bags under their eyes, spots, bad backs, cracked hands and are almost constantly dehydrated as well, but no one points that out!

IanMunro
    Free Member

In fairness it looks like the odd doctor is also a friend of Greggs.

Drac

I wouldn’t worry Molgrips it not a fact.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Is a nail technician the new job title for joiners? If so I agree…

derek_starship
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as a hospital with a McDonald’s / KFC / BK in it?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘Fat nurses’ is closed to new replies.