Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Fat Mud Guard
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

After yesterday’s mud covering I’ve decided to get one – rear – I have a crud catcher up front which works fine

What options are available, and would be great to see pics of them fitted too

The PDW one seems popular, but I don’t quite like the look of it

scotroutes

SKS Mom and Dad on mine. Crudcatcher 29er works too.

riddoch

I went for the PDW after my last muddy ride but I’ve wimped out of riding today to give them a proper test. I didn’t realise that they use poppers to mount the guard to the fixing bracket. I also didn’t realise that like the mucky nutz they are formed out of a folded flat sheet.

bonesetter
    Free Member

What’s the problem with it being a flat sheet?

Anyone use a Ass Saver Wide?

trout
    Free Member

29 er crudcatcher on mine works but could be better

I believe. Mudhugger are working on a fat setup I think I have seen sommat on here about it .

wwaswas

I’ve been using a Mudhugger 29er guard on my Fat Bike. Bit of heat to spread the mounting ‘wings’ out a bit so they match the seat stay profiles and it fitted fine.

Spent 2 hours in mud and rain yesterday and my seatpost, bum and back were all mud free – I’m impressed.

To my eyes it looks better than the PDW one too.

trout
    Free Member

Looks good that shame it doesnt go donw to the BB

singlespeedstu

Another vote for the Mudhugger here too.
    Yesterdays ride was a total shitfest but I still had a clean ass.
    I normaly hate rear mudguards but the MH doesn’t seem to get in the way or wobble about/point off to either side like post mounted guards do.

cozz
    Free Member

mudhugger looks great, wish they did a FAT version tho

don’t think it’ll cover a lou (4.8)

wwaswas

cozz – I think with some heat along the length you could make it slightly wider by flattening it out further. Coverage is fine with a 4″ floater so extending it .5cm each side shouldn’t be that much of an issue.

riddoch

bonesetter – Member
    What’s the problem with it being a flat sheet?

Functionally nothing but I was expecting molded plastic.

letmetalktomark

@ wwaswas – Was there much splaying needed to get the guard to fit your Puffin Frame? Would a hairdryer work for the heat source or did you use a heat gun?

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Bonesetter – I’ve got an Ass Saver Wide (the Mucky Nutz version). It doesn’t appear to do anything useful at all – waste of money. The fat front fender and fat gut fender are very good when combined though

wwaswas

I used a heat gun on low but Mudhugger says a hair drier works too – guess it just takes a bit longer.

It was mostly just a case of heating it up then holding it in place to stop it springing back whilst it cooled down again and there wasn’t a huge amount of change needed.

I also bent the narrowing ends that follow the chainstay down and have the zip ties through them – they were straight when delivered but now follow the chainstay line more.

doh
    Free Member

The pdw is ok but the mud hugger looks a far better option.
    Any ideas when they will release a proper fat front and back?

letmetalktomark

@ wwaswas – Thank you. Mas much splaying needed i.e. ho would it have fitted straight out of the packet?

Also what are you using on the front?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, I’ll go for a mudhugger

officerfriendly
    Free Member

@bonesetter before you do check out epicyclo’s, they’re amazing! I would totally get these on my muk if I had the money 😉

wwaswas

letmetalktomark – not sure it woudl have been an out the box fit without zip tying one side on and then trying to get the other one in place against the pull of the plastic. Guess loosely fittign zip ties both sides and incrementally tightening them might have worked – maybe with some hair dryer help. It is designed for narrower chainstays, though, so I think a bit of heating is probably the best method.

I haven’t sorted the front yet but after yesterdays sprayfest it’s gone up the list of things that need doing. I keep umming and ahhing over a downtube, fork or both solution.

I know RocketDog is testing a prototype front fork mounted mudhugger for fatties – I’m not convinced by the aesthetics of it (it’s quite long and mudguard like which probably means it works) or how it’ll cope in claggy mud.

I’m trying to avoid it looking too much like epicyclo’s (no offence, but I don;t want to be accused of riding a motorbike sans engine every time I go out).

Might go for a fork mount solution and see how I get on.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

wwaswas, the mudhugger fat front and fat gut work really well for me – mount them so there’s no gap between the top of the gut fender and the back of the front fender

bonesetter
    Free Member

Does anyone know the difference between the the two listed mudhugger’s

One is listed as an Orange??

https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/shop/

STATO
    Free Member

as far as i can tell the ‘orange’ version is just longer zip-ties and a bit more protective tape.

STATO
    Free Member

I know RocketDog is testing a prototype front fork mounted mudhugger for fatties – I’m not convinced by the aesthetics of it (it’s quite long and mudguard like which probably means it works) or how it’ll cope in claggy mud.

It looks like its just a normal rear one but mounted to the fork. I have a standard front mudhugger that i plan to try on my new Bluto some time this week. Will report back.

epicyclo

wwaswas – Member
    …I’m trying to avoid it looking too much like epicyclo’s (no offence, but I don;t want to be accused of riding a motorbike sans engine every time I go out…

I can understand that.

I’ve tried various other methods, but they’re only good for an hour or so in wet slushy conditions before the cold and wet starts to seep in. I need to stay dry to allow me to avoid hypothermia on long rides in places where I wouldn’t be found until it thawed. 🙂

The functional disadvantage of my mudguards is clearance for anything that packs up the mudguard. That’s only been a problem once or twice, and I could space them further at the expense of more spray. The main disadvantage of the front is it needs to be removed to put the bike in a car boot. (It takes me less than 3 minutes to do that.)

I think a lot of the functionality of my front mudguard could be equalled by a very broad crudguard on the downtube and a close fitting spray preventer on the fork at the crown – a bit like I am trying here.*

The rear is more difficult. I think the part from the seatstay bridge to the BB is where some of the worst spray comes from because that’s what soaks your lower legs and fills your boots with freezing water.

The simplest cure is a full mudguard – anything else I have tried is more complex and more faff if it is to be effective.

*BTW that is made from the packaging for an On-One Fatty tyre. 🙂

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Ingenious. I *knew* there would be a use for Floater packaging. So much so that I keep mine in my spares box ready for when I figure out what to do with it

bonesetter
    Free Member

Just spoken to MH – the Orange refers to Orange bikes specific which have a totally different rear (very strange looking box section etc)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Fat Mud Guard’ is closed to new replies.