Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fat bike build with help from STWers
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I knew after Forth Fat further resistance was futile. I had to get one of my own. Luckily a frame, fork and wheels came up so I went for it.

I wanted an 8 speed Alfine for simplicity and durability. All the other bits I found here in the classifieds.

I think I need a grippier rear tyre, the Knard isn’t that great in gloopy mud but it does roll well. I could probably do with a slightly lower gear for hills near home but it is perfect for flatter stuff.

swavis

Nice that. Just go with a Floater on the rear if it gets a bit gloopy.

I’m currently trying to be patient waiting for my Puffin to arrive, going for a 3 speed Strumey on the rear. Should be good for the winter slop around here 🙂

letmetalktomark

Every time I see a Pug I question whether I have done the right thing going with a Puffin 😕

The use of a std 135mm rear seems to make a good deal of sense and helps keep the costs down.

Loving the look of the yellow of yours 8)

BTW I have gone with Nates front and back on ML rims.

Dickyboy

Be prepared to pretend you are deaf – the ooo what big tyres you have comments get reet tyresome after a couple of rides

brianp
    Free Member

That’s really nice. When you get your first fat bike and realise just where you can ride, the last thing you want is a derailleur gear hanging down collecting plants, rocks and sand. IGH or dingle speed makes so much sense.

The 170 mm rear stopped me from going for the Puffin, although if Rohloff do go ahead with their 170mm I will wish I had gone for it. Did go for the Rooster though. Should look lots like your Pugs.

What gear ratios have you gone for front and rear? Thinking of going Alfine for my Rooster.

Brian

vorlich
    Free Member

Love the colour! I was thinking about a Knard for the Mukluk rear and/or up front on the Jones for mixed bikepacking routes.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The gearing is 32 x 22.

I agree the 135mm rear is good. Its a shame the front us also 135mm as I understand it would have been possible to fit some 29er rims in the frame too.

I need to do some shoreline exploring around Tentsmuir soon.

swavis

I had a Knard on the rear of my Muk last summer and was really impressed. It’ll be going on the rear of the Puffin when it arrives…..

motorman
    Free Member

That fork will work fine with 29er+ rims such as RH or snowcat if building offset.

Nice bike!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike build with help from STWers’ is closed to new replies.