Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • fast 26 er or fast 29er…………help required
  • vondally
    Free Member

I did ask this somewhile ago but still need some help so looking for a bike to do…

some road riding actually the most percentage will be road
    communting
    singletrack woodsy stuff
    trail centres
    bivi…touring
    general mtb riding natural northern stuff….dales mainly but lakes.

the bike will be used for a trip to france tackling some famous tour de france climbs next year ( last two years tackled them on 6 inch travel bikes including port de bales/peryesoude/portillion/superbagneres/aspin) this has become a view to ride the raid pryenees over 7 days not 4.5

BUT i need
    something comfy…back, neck problems and now related nerve damage to my hands so full suss is usual bike of choice no road bikes as they are too painful
    something that compensates for my lack of skill so no headangles that are silly
    something that will not throw me off when i am tired at the end of a long day
    something lightish…most of my bikes weigh more than 32 lbs so ideal weight 25/26lbs
    something reasonably priced but that is subjective i realise but if it does not work out then
    not tons of cash lost
    so wondering whether for the riding i am doing whether a
    29er will offer
    speed
    comfort…vital as i have long term back/neck and now nerve damage
    good behaviuor when tired especially descending
    carry enough easily for touring or bivvying?

No idea where to get a test ride but these are the ones I have considered all with front suss
    Swift
    chumba hx 2
    scandel
    canfield yelli

what do people reckon? or alternatives especially full suss.

OR should I get a fast 26er?

Help really appreciated

boxelder

For the riding you describe, a 29er with two sets of wheels or changes or tyres. CX tyres for road/commute, burlier wheels for mtb stuff. Living in the lakes my riding is pretty much what you describe. If i had to just keep one bike, it would be the scandal 29er. Quite light with hope/stans wheels and fox forks – lock out for road. Sus seatpost if more comfort needed, but i’ve done a couple of 11-12 hr days with my slipped disc, without dying. Email me if you’d like to try it – XL though.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i had a scandal 29, bought with distance in mind but also rode as a day to day mtb, it was ok but i never really ‘got it’ and i did’nt really feel any huge 29’er advantage. when i sold it, on a whim, i bought a yeti arc to try a 26 hardtail, i love it. to me it rides just as well, but better as its so much lighter and all-round its a better ride.

maybe the bike, maybe the wheels, who knows.

STATO
    Free Member

Bad back,
    sore neck,
    nerve damage in hands,

TBH, that describes how i would feel after hauling a 30+lb full sus over mountain passes! Get a road/touring bike, they dont have to be uncomfortable and are a damn sight more fun on the road.

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks Boxelder for the offer may be in touch
    gav that is my fear that a fast 26 er will do and would need few parts for a build.
    stato, LOL but in all honesty not that bad…..adjustable forks and good suspension…road bikes are a no go sorry they may be fast but the postion/frame angles and so are just not conducive to me being able to ride any distance

STATO
    Free Member

The neutral position on a road bike shouldn’t be any different to an MTB, thats why their top tubes are always shorter, to compensate for the increased reach of the hoods. Obviously the drops may be a stretch but thats why many touring bike have the tops higher than an MTB, so the normal position is more relaxed and it allows use of the drops with only minimal stretch for when its windy etc (much better for your back than trying to hunch over the bars). Increased grip options will be good for your hands to (unless you have restricted movement/rotation due to arthritis or something)

If your back is that bad then getting rid of rear suspension might not be the best idea, why not just spend the money cutting the weight. What is it you have now that weighs so much?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

had another thought or two…

i run small block 8 on the yet, rolls really well and surprisingly good grip even in light mud.

the hardtail does knock my back about, when i go back onto my full suss i really appreciate how much easier it makes things. and with front/rear lock out prolonged road is not an issue.

i do like having a light 100mm xc bike though and i’m seriously tempted to look for a used asr frame to run as a direct compare to the arc.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

out of your selection – i’d be sticking to a steel 29er so the right size Swift, but there are plenty of options available

i’ve suffered with back problems in the past and tried lots of different HT frames, (in a very rough order of uncomfortableness on my back) such as, Dialled Morning Glory, Orange Evo2, Cove Hummer, two 29er Scandals, Brodie Holeshot, Cotic Roadrat with drops, Evil Sovereign, a rigid Salsa Mamasita, Cotic Soul, GF Ferrous 29er, custom Lynskey 29er, On One Ti29er, – the most comfortable ones being the last (all 29ers)

a 29er wheel (cause of the length of the spokes) also provides a bit more comfort/give over a 26er wheel

vondally
    Free Member

Strato currently riding a yeti asr 7 with coil, very good pedalling bike but it is not going to be a lightweight xc bike currently at 33 lbs tubeless and xt set.
    I have had asr and similiar in the past including turner flux dw link and never really got on with them as well as my longer travel bikes.

STATO
    Free Member

Thats not a 6″ travel ‘all rounder’, thats a downhill bike some idiot put gears on 😆

I know what you mean about getting on with them better, i never saw drawbacks from big bikes until i tried to race them. I had an ASR, swapped it for a Salsa spearfish (29er), very nice but similar so prob wont suit if you didnt like ASR. Ive had a Swift, very nice and deffinatley a good choice for general riding, get technical and it was a bit unwiedly (compared to my ASR before you all shout at me!) tho. What i will say though is the FS 29er is VERY capable, i keep being amazed at what it can do, tho I will admit it might not be as much fun as a 5/6/7″ travel 26er (not a suprise really?).

vondally
    Free Member

LOL stato…it is actually more of a long travel trail bike and very capable on the ups, It is a bit of a keeper well for most of next year as it is comfortable…… sofa comfy!

The ASR was good uphill but not overly better time wise than some of the long travel bikes I have owned and it is unfair to some extent as it was too small for me but going down was okay but it was a race bike.
    I suppose it is the headangle thing as well of all the bikes I have owned the best angles have been between 66 and 69 degrees. ANy light full suss frames with that?

The 29er idea can about as a compromise….fast rolling, higher at the front so to get comfy, stable on the downs and possibly with a suss post and larger wheels more compliant over 60 to 70 road miles.

vondally
    Free Member

bit of a bump…advice and opinions welcome thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘fast 26 er or fast 29er…………help required’ is closed to new replies.