• This topic has 71 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Farmers welcome mountain bikers – NOT!
  • cinnamon_girl

An interesting experience on our Wiltshire ride today.

Group of 8 of us had stopped on bridleway for a chat. Along comes farmer in his 4 x 4. Gets out of vehicle and asks "which way are you going?". As I was the only person that knew where we were I replied "along this bridleway", to which he asked "and then where?". I then replied "turn left onto another bridleway".

He was definitely not asking us if we were lost! I was polite at all times and was absolutely determined not to give him the opportunity to moan about mountain bikers.

Of course I could have refused to answer his questions but just feel I am on permanent PR duties these days.

Weird or what?

bassspine
    Free Member

which way was he going?

ton

i would have told him to keep is nose out of my business……….politly tho. 😀

grumm
    Free Member

Doesn't seem that unreasonable.

cinnamon_girl

bassspine – he was working!

ton – I feel very strongly that people get the wrong impression of mountain bikers. That was partly why I organised a Chilterns ride a few months ago cos of the grief I always used to get there, even when riding on my own.

I'm sure I will get shouted down but honestly believe that women can diffuse these situations. Often with men it's like a red rag to a bull 🙄

allthepies
    Free Member

Get orf moi laaarnd.

cinnamon_girl

It's the public perception of mountain bikers that needs addressing. Am sick of the small-minded attitude – we are a cross-section of society not a bunch of rad dudes!

RichPenny
    Free Member

That was my response bassspine. Sadly, didn't think of it until after he left 🙁 I guess the other approach would be to just list the whole ride, just to make a point.

It was odd, wasn't it cg. Where exactly was it? I can see that some of the farms round there have footpaths through them, maybe he's from one of them? He wasn't rude or unfriendly, perhaps he was genuinely curious and doesn't see many cyclists round there.

DavidB
    Free Member

Where was this?

RichPenny
    Free Member

we are a cross-section of society not a bunch of rad dudes!

I take offence to that. I'm rad to the max 😯

deluded
    Free Member

Perhaps he was trying to make conversation. What's the imputation? That he was being noisey/rude/overly defensive in a "get off/don't enter my land type manner?

Chill. Perhaps he's hacked off with MTB's (not you but others) riding across his property and over reacting.

Don't get me wrong I've done a few cheeky routes in my time but my girlfriennds parents own a farm and I've witnessed untold front by people that think they can do as they please on other peoples land.

All the best.

ton

cinnamon_girl
    i think you are probably right, but i do not break any laws when i go out riding.
    i am downright stubborn in my belief that we should not ride on footpaths or break any of the countryside code, so what right has someone to snoop in our business, when we are out doing our chosen pastime.. ❓

cinnamon_girl

Rich – I suspect that the landowners in the general vicinity actually own huge areas of land. Interestingly enough, someone later made a point that farms are suffering from robbery, ie expensive machinery being stolen. Perhaps that was his worry? We were definitely on a bridleway though.

DavidB – near Tidcombe.

jj55

You have to ask yourself why landowners sometimes have a bad attitude. I've seen walkers, bikers & horse riders absolutely ruin crops (and grass is a valuable crop) by strayihg from paths & bridleways because they think they 'have the right' and gates have been left open leaving stock to stray, pregnant ewes are scattered with some aborting etc etc. Farmers are having a real rough time of it at the moment and any financial loss is a serious issue to them. Now I'm not saying you did this, I'm often on 'cheeky' trails myself, but there are an awful lot of numptys out there that ruin it for the rest of us. To react badly to honest questions will not help our cause, it will only alienate us. Farming can also be an intensely lonely occupation with some farmers not seeing anyone else for whole days at a time, thats why they will often like to stop and chat.

deluded
    Free Member

What a group of lycra clad robbers on mountain bikes gonna do one with one of his cultivator's. LOL. Perhaps even as a farmer he might be somewhat smarter than that.

cinnamon_girl

Rich – you were definitely rad with that hub 😉

deluded – no, it was definitely not a friendly manner. Have never had a problem in Wiltshire before so was very surprised. If you're riding in a working landscape, you must be respectful that people earn a living from the land, ie move out of the way for tractors, not frighten livestock etc.

cinnamon_girl

jj55 – yes, I agree that walkers and horse riders can be irresponsible but would say that this was definitely not a heavily used bridleway.

I never meet farmers that want a chat – they normally have prairie size fields to look after and simply don't have time. Shooting parties are always pleasant but then I'm not PC and don't have a problem with huntin' and shootin'.

badnewz
    Free Member

So long as they don't shoot me, farmers should remain grumpy and backward. That way I know all is well in the universe.

allthepies
    Free Member

Just ask them straight "is there a problem ?"

Then ignore the reply 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

i had some farmer on a quad tell me to get off his land , bridleway by the way. i told him i would move on when my mate had finished fixing his bike off he went but came back two mins later telling us to go he then got off his quad removed a bat from it and came over saying i told you to go

i informed him that if he didnt fork off id shove the bat up his rear after clipping his ear with it (or words to that effect) he replied with "what did you say?" i said you heard me or you wouldnt have questioned it . with a smile of course. he then left us alone . fooker lol

RichPenny
    Free Member

You have to ask yourself why landowners sometimes have a bad attitude

I have. I think it's often about not liking people on "their" land, despite it being a right of way. I guess they may only remember the idiots who do cause problems, but to preemptively judge others is not sensible and needs to be challenged, not excused.

deluded
    Free Member

RichPenny – why would you want to spend any time at all to challenge people when out on a ride? Is that not why you are out on a ride in the first place, to get away from all that stress.

In my experince the majority of farmers know the difference between what is their land and a right of way. Unfortunately people without the time or inclination to separate the two are the ones that ride rough-shod.

Farmers are the custodians of the countryside, through which we all ride and enjoy.

cinnamon_girl

mick – that is shocking. I hope you reported it to the Rights of Way Officer?

deluded – it's not a case of challenging people, more like having a constructive chat. Have you ever spoken to horse riders? Do you know how some perceive us? It's interesting to hear viewpoints from other countryside users and we can all learn.

Interestingly, I was talking to a horse rider and she had a real problem with roadies cos they whizzed past too close and too fast beside her horse!

allthepies
    Free Member

I've a problem with horse riders, specifically the way they churn up the trails. But I guess they don't appreciate that!

deluded
    Free Member

What? I'm not the one suggesting that people are challenged – the opposite in fact. Did you read my posts? Your comments are better aimed at your mate RP.

cinnamon_girl

Horses were around before bikes 8)

Bez

I … feel I am on permanent PR duties … I feel very strongly that people get the wrong impression of mountain bikers

They're probably just generalising, assuming all mountain bikers are like a few bad eggs they've met.

Considering your thread title, it's perhaps advisable in terms of your PR duties not to do the same with farmers.

Boot, foot, other. Just a thought, like.

deluded
    Free Member

Bez.

Good point well made.

firestarter
    Free Member

no i didnt bother cg but ive seen him since out on my rides and given him a big smile he just ignores me now

aleigh
    Free Member

I'm sure I will get shouted down but honestly believe that women can diffuse these situations. Often with men it's like a red rag to a bull

Oh I dunno……if I'd have realised what he was REALLY asking I would have gone off on one and used my favourite swear word of yesterday too! 😆

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sorry deluded, perhaps my post wasn't too clear. It's not like I'm flagging down landrovers 🙂 All I meant was that you need to challenge their point of view nicely, because it isn't acceptable to challenge a group of bikers about their intentions when they're on a legal path. From what I remember, there was no preamble, just "where are you going" , then "and then where". Incidentally, do you think he'd stop a group of walkers? Nope, because he doesn't think they're out to trash his land. CG is talking about changing that attitude by engaging with people, not shouting at them.

If I'm on an illegal trail (and it'd be a footpath or a logging track, not across crops or through livestock!) and I was stopped by a farmer, I'd be pretty sheepish. Only happened once, he was perfectly pleasant and we rerouted (and learnt something).

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

One farmer may encouter may different types of people riding mountian bikes around his land.

Just because you lot may be a good bunch, theres no way he can tell that you're not lycra-louts, riding where you shouldn't dropping litter anywhere you like and just generally disrespecting the countryside, etc.

Or on the other hand, perhaps you are people who are just looking around the place, with perhaps the intent of returning after dark and trying to help yourself to fuel or equipment. In these times of recession, country-side crime has increased alot.

The farmer simply can't tell what your intentions are.

I wouldn't have any problem answering simple questions about where I've been and where I'm going, so long as the person asking the questions exercised a polite tone, etc.

But I must stress that regardless of their personal prejudice, I believe Farmers should still speak politely when they approach anyone on a bridle way through their land, etc.

But it isn't just about good MTBers and bad MTBers.

Theres another side to this. I've encountered "country-folk" who think that the countryside belongs personally to them and they aint up for sharing.
    Thats a sad attitude imo, but one I feel I have to put up with and ignore. If I'm exercising a legitimate right of way, then theres little they can really say, and most know that, regardless of any comments made at the time.

I'm sorry to learn of yet another negative interaction between farmers and MTBers, but with such a wide range of characters involved, will it ever improve. As I pointed out, you may be a good bunch, but we all know there are bike riders who don't seem to treat the countryside with the same appreciation and respect as others. And some farmers can be very grumpy indeed.

CC.

adeward
    Free Member

my ex in-laws farm very near where the chiltern stw ride was , and i was worried about the route we rode a few months ago,, it was good and legal but the attitude of some riders on that ride with a group of walkers was totaly wrong,, no wonder we get labeled as a bad bunch,,
    my inlaws do know just what all the rights of way are on the farm and all paths a clealy labeled and kept mown so the "lost walkers have no excuse as to why they are on the wrong path,, we used to have problems with hare cursers and thefts so they have a right to be cautiouse ,,,,
    well done CG keep up the good PR our area is a difficult and busy one and it only takes a few idiots ( you know who you are) to ruin it for everyone ,,,, ps preston singlespeed is now an 8 speed alfine powered ,,

Kuco

I work on a few farmers land they moan about anything and everything even when they are getting something for nothing.

chvck
    Free Member

Just a thought but the whole farmers labelling all mtbers bad from just a few….well isn't that exactly what seems to be happening here but about farmers?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Just a thought but maybe he wanted to move some cattle or some farm equipment down that lane later so wanted to know where you were going as not to trample you !!!

Surfr
    Free Member

Just imagine the response he'd have gotten if he had dared to say good morning! The audacity of land owners eh?

Christowkid
    Free Member

CG: Well done for being polite etc. I too think we're obliged to show the world that most bikers are simply out to take in our wonderful countryside but on 2 wheels instead of foot or hoof.
    My riding is on my doorstep. i don't want to 'loose' it so make sure I'm polite and as Ton said up there^^^ I ride totally legal.
    Then I know I'm right, and polish my halo after cleaning my bike!!

My friendly farmer ( there are some!) has often muttered to me about walkers. He has sometimes found them walking though his farm because they had just walked through the fields and got lost. No footpath anywhere, no right of way, just a farm and some fields. They also thought it perfectly fine to go simply anywhere they liked – a bit like someone walking around your back garden. No wonder some farmers are @rsey!
    cheers
    Q

RepacK
    Free Member

Do unto others I reckon – if hes being curt & unfriendly just be vague & indeterminate. Something like "oh down this way for a bit & then maybe on a bit more.." I resent some nosey so & so coming up to me questioning what Im up to!

scotty2
    Free Member

I see no problem with farmers showing an interest in who uses their land – bridleway or not. I think most farmers will have no problem with any land user who shows respect – leaves gates as they find them, doesn't leave damage or litter, doesn't scare animals, etc, etc.

Its horse riders who think they rightfully own the country side, especially ones with comments like "its awfully muddy here isn't it?'. (After they and their fellow cronies have plough the trails to oblivion with repeated riding in after wet weather).

Many schools, especially rural ones I believe, ensure primary school aged children receive some form of cycling proficiency training. Maybe horse riders should have to go some form of intelligence test before being let loose on their own?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Farmers welcome mountain bikers – NOT!’ is closed to new replies.