Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Fancy a rigid, 26 or 29"?
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I fancy building up a lightweight rigid bike to compliment my mid weight FS for longer XC riding.

I was thinking that the 29″ route would help in the absence of suspension. Anyone with experiences of such things?

Then again another 26″ wheeled bike is more interchangeable with my current bike, which is always handy.

It’ll probably be a carbon On-One frame n fork. 26″ also has a certain financial to it!

eshershore
    Free Member

I’ve just dumped my 26″ 150mm FS for a 29’er hardtail

I rode a number of 26″ hardtails and could not seen the benefit / point of another 26″ hardtail, over retaining my FS bike

I reckoned a 29er made much more sense for a hardtail, whereas I cannot really see the point of 29er FS? (would rather buy another 26″ FS bike)

here it is:

rOcKeTdOg

29ers are ment to take a lot of the sting out of rides compared to 26er so some claim they are as effective as a full suspension 120mm bike, and can do pretty much everything a FS 120 can do

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/29er-ht-as-an-only-bike-1

just imagine the travel if you had a suspension fork!

bowglie

IME, if you’re going fully rigid, a decent 29er is definately the way to go.

monkeyboyjc

esher shore – what frame is that? Chi carbon?

tk46hal
    Free Member

I love my rigid 29er, now set 1 x 10 from s/s so i can use it more! 🙂

tazzymtb

a nice carver 96 is tip top, silly light fast as chuff and looks lush

takisawa2

Done the fully rigid thing on both 26″ & 29″ versions of the Inbred, & can say without a doubt the 29″ is better. Done 18 brilliant miles this afternoon on mine, mix of bridleways, cheeky stuff & woods. Using Singular’s Swift fork now. On-One carbon forks are good but I really like the feel of the Swift fork.

Northwind

29 makes more sense but the interchangability of parts made 26 an easy decision for me. Struggles a wee bit on harder trails sometimes but still great fun.

martinh
    Free Member

29er with wide rims and low pressures makes for a great rigid. I’d recommend taking a look at the steel Jones

HermanShake
    Free Member

Right, lots to consider.

I was thinking of a 96/69er as well, but I don’t know if it’s just comprimise? I’ve read that 29ers are a little less manoeuvrable in slower more tech sections. The odd sizes also mean carrying 2 tubes.

Rigid 29er being equal to 120mm 26″ seems a bit nuts to me. I can empathise with a CXer saying it’s smooth as they’ll be used to 700c abuse. There’s probably a learning curve of remembering how to use your posture and weight properly. The jump from HT to FS is quite marked in my opinion with pros and cons in each direction.

I do like the feel of steel, but fancy this as a weenie project. Don’t tell anyone but I’ve even considered aluminium!

I wonder about pedalling in the slow gloop, would a 29″ wheel be less affected or even harder to get rotating?

thedanwhalley
    Free Member

had a 26er, was ok but i now ride a rigid on one scandal 29er, very capable on all terrain and an awesome climber.
    Rigid 29ers definitely handle better than a rigid 26er, definitely my favourite bike to ride right now.
    I haven’t found riding a 29er a disadvantage in anyway, only riding rigid is slower on the rocky stuff, its very manoeuvrable and i love riding steep rocky technical terrain on it. 🙂

RestlessNative
    Free Member

“but the interchangability of parts made 26 an easy decision for me”

Same here as I have wheels and tyres and stuff already. If I was starting completely from scratch I’d build a 29er but as it was my bike has changed into being rigid and I am gonna build something else to play about on.

If you go 26 just get a nice big front tyre.

Northwind

Aye, I found a 2.5 folding singleply Nevegal DTC- weird tyre, can’t imagine why they made it but it makes for a lovely rigid bike tyre. Rubber Queen was good too but heavier and draggier.

rewski
    Free Member

I’m planning a steel 29 rigid for the same reason plus adding a set of skinnies so I can use as a road commuter too. I’m dreaming about these:

HermanShake
    Free Member

Hmm, those are pretty but my wallet’s saying “26 is fine, it can’t be that different” and yet my velo-cortex is saying “why wouldn’t you get a 29″ rigid? It’ll feel nicer to ride!”

I’d appreciate a little justification of the 29″ route. The idea of a rigid 26″ carbon 456 is getting me quite excited, plus the fact that I can swap things about.

eshershore
    Free Member

esher shore – what frame is that? Chi carbon?

@ monkeyboyjc

2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29’er – M5 aluminium alloy (7005 T6)

another shot from a recent day on the trails in NW London:

takisawa2

My 26er Inbred turned into a 29er gradually… 🙂
    Rigid 29er forks went on because I liked the extra height at the front. Tried it with 29″ front wheel but didn’t like it. Then along came the 29er frame. I’d never go back to a 26″ HT again. FS 26″ possibly but I doubt it would get much use.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Bike 1 – Whippet quick through the singletrack. Great climber

Bike 2 – Needs a bit more work to get up to speed but once it’s there, is pretty much unstoppable. Really comfy for longer rides and a bit more forgiving on techie stuff.

Weirdly, despite the additional dangly bits at the back it doesn’t climb as well as bike 1.

Not that I’m brand loyal or anything, you understand…

Bernaard
    Free Member

I used to have a 26″ rigid SS Voodoo Wanga and loved it. Changed it for a 29er rigid SS and it felt better.
    Although if I could I would have another Wanga

I have now gone from a 160mm full suss to a SS rigid 29er and a 100mm 1×9 front travel 29er

The 140mm hardtail dont get used anymore
    Wanga

Haro (now with gears)

bobalong
    Free Member

I’ve told myself I’m a one bike man many time, but I’ve currently got a super light cotic soda with 120mm forks and a rigid Pace 129e 29r.

The rigid 29er has an Alfine at the back so it is so easy to look after and great in the bad weather. It’s a stunning frame, it does roll smoother and takes out the unwanted ruts and bumps.

The cotic us my dream build, it’s super fast and alwas so much fun. It’ll be really hard to sell as it’s the second one I’ve had after regretting the sale of my first one…

My big problem is which one do I keep??? If I could justify it, I’d keep both but I can’t!

I’m thinking that a with super light wheel set to counter the rotational mass issue on up hills and slow suff the 29er is the one to keep.

I tried rigid on the cotillion and it wasn’t half as much fun compared to the 26er.

If you want and are allowed a rigid spare bike I’d go for a 29er without a second thought.

jameso

“26 is fine, it can’t be that different” and yet my velo-cortex is saying “why wouldn’t you get a 29″ rigid? It’ll feel nicer to ride!”

I’d appreciate a little justification of the 29″ route.

I had an iO 26″ rigid ss for a long time, then a ti version of the same frame. Really nice ride with H-bars and UST.

Now I have a ti 29er rigid ss. I bought it for the bike package rather than it being a 29er, the wheels were just a part of it, I was happy enough on the 26″. Built it up with similar as my ti iO. The 29er is much nicer – the big wheels suit the momentum of ss riding, they’re comfier and they grip better. It helps that I think this particular 29er frame and fork is the best handling bike I’ve ridden, by far, but the wheels are a big part of it.

29″ + rigid + SS is seen as freak-bike by many but it’s definately a combo that can work very well together. It’s better for the long-haul stuff a ss is good at by adding some comfort and momentum, and since acceleration is rarely an issue on a ss the big wheels spin up pretty fast anyway.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I have two rigid 26″, one geared one SS and a SS hardtail. I really like the rigid SS and I will be riding it today.

Alejandro
    Free Member

another shot from a recent day on the trails in NW London

Where in NW London?

olijb
    Free Member

esher shore –

just sold a 150mm FS and am looking at getting one of the Stupmjumper evo 29ers for all the same reasons. Just wondering how your getting on with it?

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Built the below recently and really enjoying it, it handles really nicely.

Pic below was taking on ride round Glen Finglass mostly LRT/Fireroad and it was great.

Took it to GT yesterday and it was suprisingly good, even on some of the very rooty/rocky bits but arms took a bit of a beating with 2.0 Beavers. I will be putting a 2.4 ralph on in the summer to soften it up a little.

I would not be without my HT, but it is great fun to ride the rigid.

eshershore
    Free Member

esher shore –

just sold a 150mm FS and am looking at getting one of the Stupmjumper evo 29ers for all the same reasons. Just wondering how your getting on with it?

@olijb

its certainly a different kind of riding experience, and one that I am thoroughly enjoying! (after years on suspension bikes)

came back from the riding in the snow, let the bike drip dry on some newspapers

oiled the chain, cleaned the fork seals with Finish Line dry lube, put the bike away…wonderfully simple to maintain / clean compared to FS bikes

one thing I will say for sure, its definitely still a mountain bike and enjoys being ridden aggressively, and will carry you across soft and mucky ground much easier than 26″ wheels

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Fancy a rigid, 26 or 29"?’ is closed to new replies.