Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • fancy a Cotic road rat…
  • aw
    Free Member

I fancy a road rat from those Cotic people…I did receive an offer email for their road rat with all singing and dancing commute kit in cluding gears for £1000 (cost price £1100) but I fancy a SS version. Any had exp of road rats and can they recommend them as a commute bike? I have a 5 mile in and a 10 mile home commute currently. I am using my SS crosser which is alu framed and has drops.

comments on drops versus bars for the rat would be helpful too…

brooess
    Free Member

I've a singlespeed one. Flat bars. Added my own disc brakes. Ran it with bar ends for a while and didn't like it – too twitchy cos bars too narrow. Took bar ends off and had an epiphany. My commute home is 4 miles. A few times I've extended it to 20 just because I want to carry on riding. It just handles beautifully. Looks nice too. For me the best thing about it, is it's a road bike designed for people who ride mountain bikes so the handling just 'works' if you mainly ride a mountain bike. It really is a lovely bike to ride. And being so flexible you can turn it in to a geared tourer/CX etc bike too if you want…

localhero94
    Free Member

I love mine, it's run singlespeed with disc brakes and flat bars (with barends). I also have a 'proper' drop handledbar roadbike for long distances but for quick hour-long blasts it doesn't get a look in and the roadrat gets the nod everytime. It's just fun to ride.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

is a road rat not just an mtb frame with a rigid fork?

aw
    Free Member

I do fancy the flat bar and SS version. mt crosser is SS with drops and I do like the drops but flats give you more control if less hand positions.

I think I will buy a singlespeed flat bar version very soon 🙂

Christmas present to me! Wife left me 3 months ago for another guy and took the kids so I think I will treat myself – life too short.

tang
    Free Member

ive a all singing flatbar medium for sale, better spec than the offer one from cotic(i think) for £500, get the bits for ss and you have all options covered. mail in profile for specs and pics.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Tang, YGM

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I absolutely love mine. I've got the drop bar version which I run singlespeed with Schwalbe cross tyres. Fast on road, an absolute hoot off-road. I actually ride it far more than my MTB.

If you give it a chance it's far more capable off-road than it's given credit for – will do anything that an early 90s MTB would do, and more. It's really got the feel of the bikes I started out riding back in the day.

ssboggy

i had a SS road rat with flat bars and bar ends and it was great. Make sure you put a long stem on, 130mm ish to stop it being twitchy, used to run 44t chain ring and 17 or 18t rear cog on my commute with a moderate hill on the way home

DezB
    Free Member

Disc mount on the front of the fork? That's unusual, why they like that then?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I think the idea is that in a conventional set up the directional force could potentially force the wheel out of the dropout when braking hard. If it's front facing it's the opposite way round.

tang
    Free Member

mansonsoul-no mail yet

BigJohn

Its like that so you can still fit mudguards.

I think they're road bikes for mountain bikers who've never tried a proper road bike. My advice – try a proper road bike.

Clink

My advice – try a proper road bike.

You're right I'm sure, but with heavy panniers my is stable and predictable. It also allows fairly big tyres and is fun off road.

GlenMore
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Disc mount on the front of the fork? That's unusual, why they like that then?

Pathetic attempt at niche-ness.

aw
    Free Member

BigJohn – I have a team carbon boardman and a cyclocross SS so tried proper road bikes 🙂

Tang – YGM!

Not sure about bar ends. i do not really want a off road SS MTB style bike but an on road commute bike…

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

BigJohn – I think that's a common perception but they're a completely different animal. Just really versatile – I've done stuff on mine that I would never attempt on a real road bike, and they're bags more fun and better handling than a standard hybrid.

Re the fork – from Cotic's website:

"Disc mount positioned on front right ; brake forces always go into the dropout and there's no interference with mudguards. Max rotor size : 160mm."

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Tang – YGM properly now, crap copy and pasting on my part email error…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘fancy a Cotic road rat…’ is closed to new replies.