Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Factory grease on new chains
  • SidKillerest
    Free Member

How do people on here remove the horrid sticky grease stuff off new chains? Top tips please!!! Ta

richpips
    Free Member

White spirit.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Why would you do that? It's the best chain lubricant there is.

Merak

Why would you do that? It's the best chain lubricant there is.

Agreed, I would like to know where to get some of the grease a new chain comes with!

alexpalacefan

Gents that stuff has got to come off, it's the stickiest slime known to humanity!

I left some on a chain one time, following Sheldon's advice, and I must have brought half of Derbyshire home with me.

FS-1 every time.

A

scaredypants

can leave on, but wipe off the thick from the outside of the links using a cloth soaked in (whatever you degrease with) – otherwise you might bring home half of Derbyshire with you

SidKillerest
    Free Member

Cheers people, i have similar experience of tons of crud sticking to new chains, especially dusty stuff from commuting on canal towpaths.
    The chain i'll be using is a Connex Wipperman… The stuff they put on them is a darn site stickier than i've found on shimano or sram chains i've used in the past!

andrewh
    Free Member

Old fabric softner bottle full of petrol. Place chain in it, shake vigerously. Remove with old spoke, now in suitable hook shape.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Factory grease on new chains’ is closed to new replies.