Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • FA racist?
  • nick1962
    Free Member

The FA today stated their preference for an English or British manager for the current vacany for national team coach.Although they did actally say they want the best person for the job.
    So if a better qualified continental coach applies and loses out to Harry for example surely this would be a case of potential race discrimination ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

no – its not racial discrimination purely on nationality. Nor would a non UK resident be able to sue in a UK court I don’t think

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

As TJ says.

Some “English or British” people are brown, or various other shades. There is no suggestion that they will be discriminated against.

nick1962
    Free Member

What is racial discrimination?

The Equality Act 2010 makes it unlawful for an employer to discriminate against you because of race. Race includes:

colour
    nationality
    ethnic or national origins

Under the Act, it doesn’t matter if the discrimination is done on purpose or not. What counts is whether (as a result of an employer’s actions) you are treated less favourably than someone else because of race.

The Equality Act 2010 Act protects all racial groups, regardless of their race, colour, nationality, or national or ethnic origins

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What counts is whether (as a result of an employer’s actions) you are treated less favourably than someone else because of race.

Is there any suggestion that race would be an issue ?

Someone without British nationality cannot for example, vote in general elections, serve on a jury, sign the Official Secrets Act (affecting employment opportunities), join the armed forces (unless from a Commonwealth country). So there are plenty of examples of lawful discrimination against non British nationals.

shifter
    Free Member

I despair.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I despair. +1

Some people just want to be offended

konabunny
    Free Member

nick1962 is right, TJ is wrong.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

On a more pressing note – In’t milk brilliant!?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

TJ is wrong

And almost as shocking, presumably so are the FA and their lawyers.

Coyote
    Free Member

Not as brilliant as “CheezyPeas”.

jota180
    Free Member

surely this would be a case of potential race discrimination ?

🙄

I despair

bigyinn
    Free Member

What about “squeezy cheezy peas”?

Sandwich

Cheesy mash is where it’s at.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its easy peasy with cheezy peas

Clearly there is a preference for an Englishman or a British person but in the end we want the best person. I am certainly not prepared to rule out anything but an Englishman or British person would have a good start.

seems clear to me that only english women have no chance anyone else has a chance

loum
    Free Member

Yes.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Black lesbian single mother for England Manager!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

seems clear to me that only english women have no chance…..

But fortunately a British woman does.

thegreatape
    Free Member

So Scottish women need to get their forms in quick then? Maybe.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Someone without British nationality cannot for example, vote in general elections

My father voted in general elections but was not a British national.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Also not many non English in the team. 😉

So while the FA will be open to all that apply, i am sure that the passion on an Englishman to manage the English national team would put them at an advantage.

Plus it would be very difficult to prove discrimination in a case like that, where it is just more than cold qualifications.

kennyp
    Free Member

It does seem some folk are so utterly desperate to be offended that they’ll actively go hunting for so-called racism, no matter how ludicrous.

wallace1492
    Free Member

It does seem some folk are so utterly desperate to be offended that they’ll actively go hunting for so-called racism,not realise a wind up when they see one, no matter how ludicrous.

FTFY

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My father voted in general elections but was not a British national.

Well unless he was an Irish national then I can’t see how it could’ve been legal. You can of course lie and falsely claim that you are British whereby your name will appear on the electoral register, and you’d probably get away with it. But electoral fraud is a serious offence which hardly justifies that warm fuzzy feeling and self-congratulatory satisfaction you get from the knowledge that you have just “voted correctly”.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Well unless he was an Irish national then I can’t see how it could’ve been legal. You can of course lie and falsely claim that you are British whereby your name will appear on the electoral register, and you’d probably get away with it. But electoral fraud is a serious offence which hardly justifies that warm fuzzy feeling and self-congratulatory satisfaction you get from the knowledge that you have just “voted correctly”.

Now then, now then, as it ‘appens he was. However he could also have been from any commonweath country, or any other EU country as long as he could demonstrate a ‘considerable degree of permanence’. You dont need to be a national to vote.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

or any other EU country

I generally choose my words very carefully on this forum wallace – I take the constant threat of a pedantic attack very seriously indeed. I said, cannot vote in “general elections”. EU nationals can only vote on local elections – not general elections.

Granted, my omission of Irish nationals right to vote was a serious error on my part, and I hope to learn from this shameful incident, in which I carelessly dropped my guard and exposed myself to a pedantic strike…..I’m sure I will.

supertacky
    Free Member

“no – its not racial discrimination purely on nationality. Nor would a non UK resident be able to sue in a UK court I don’t think”

Would they be eligible to make a case in the European court though?

Spin
    Free Member

No no. It was all just a big mistake.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iheZM6VBJfE[/video]

wallace1492
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

or any other EU country

I generally choose my words very carefully on this forum wallace – I take the constant threat of a pedantic attack very seriously indeed. I said, cannot vote in “general elections”. EU nationals can only vote on local elections – not general elections.

Granted, my omission of Irish nationals right to vote was a serious error on my part, and I hope to learn from this shameful incident, in which I carelessly dropped my guard and exposed myself to a pedantic strike…..I’m sure I will.

OK Ern, I wasn’t trying to be pedantic! Now I have looked into it, and EU citizen cannot vote in a General Election and apologise that I suggested this, but qualifying Commonwealth citizens, as well as Irish Republic citizens can. So we were both sort of right and wrong!

nick1962
    Free Member

It appears my point went over some people’s heads!
    Terry charged with racism.
    Capello resigns because his employers went over his head and removed the England captaincy from Terry.AFAIK one of the key things that Capello required in his contract was that he was in charge and made the decisions.He will receive a nice pay off so won’t take it further as his contract was due to end soon anyway but elswhere this could have been classed as constructive dismissal.
    The FA then declare in a televised press conference that they would prefer their next manager to be English or British..then hastily add they want the best person for the job. Now let’s say Guus Hiddink applied and was turned down and Harry Redknapp got the job.Hiddink is vastly more experienced, has a proven track record at European and World Cup levels that Harry can only dream about, knows the English Premier league and it’s players well and Hiddink’s use of the English language is probably better too 🙂
    In any other walk of life in the world of employment if this happened then the unsuccessful candiate would have a pretty strong case for race discrimination.Ironic because the reason for the vacancy in the first place is because of alleged racism.
    The comments about women applying for the job are also relevant though if they have had not coached in the men’s game at the highest levels it could be argued they are not suitably experienced.

BTW Hiddink has been done for tax evasion and when is Harry going to explain why he had 200K in an offshore account he didn’t tell his accountant or HMRC about

nick1962
    Free Member

😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So we were both sort of right and wrong!

That’s what I like, “compromise”…………we don’t see enough of that on STW.

Although I will be redoubling my efforts to reduce the risk of unexpected pedantic attacks. I shamefully dropped my guard today, but hopefully, wisely learnt my lesson 8)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘FA racist?’ is closed to new replies.