• This topic has 1,318 replies, 128 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by hols2.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,319 total)
  • F1 2018 (spoilers abound)
  • retro83
    Free Member

That halo looks truly crap 😆

Looking forward to seeing how well Bobby K does today though.

dragon
    Free Member

Yep Halo still not looking any better, utter shit. And surely they can’t be allowed to put aero crap on it, that’s insane.

the-muffin-man

Yep Halo still not looking any better, utter shit. And surely they can’t be allowed to put aero crap on it, that’s insane.

…seems they forgot to close that loophole in the regs!

the-muffin-man

It looks like there is some creative moulding going on of the Halo itself too. The previous versions seemed to be just round tubes…

https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/11/28/f1-fanatic-round-up-2811-5/

shermer75
    Free Member

They need to go the whole hog and stick a bloody great fan on the back of the Sauber Alfa.

To turn it into a Brabham?

retro83
    Free Member

retro83 – Member
    Looking forward to seeing how well Bobby K does today though.

He’s done 100 laps so far, looking good.

thepurist

…seems they forgot to close that loophole in the regs!

Nope the regs include scope for adding in extra structure around the halo, so all legal so far.

I’ll not be signing up to Sky for 2019 either, but I remember following F1 when all you got was a 30 min highlights package on BBC2 at 12.45am so if I can find anything better than that on line (or LM come up with a direct streaming model) then that’ll do me. I thought there was still a possibility of FTA anwyay to satisfy something in the Concorde agreement?

Pook

Now TV day passes work well for me

prawny

I’d read on one of the stories that Sky were going to stick the highlights on a free sky (i.e. not sports) channel not sure if that’s still the plan but there is a free sports channel isn’t there? I can’t remember the name of it mind.

Edit – Sky Sports Mix

If that happens it’ll do for me, I’m not forking out to watch the MotoGP on BT Sport either, sadly that doesn’t seem to have affected them too negatively so I can’t see F1 going back FTA after the deal is finished.

I’ll go back to the BTCC.

retro83
    Free Member

Meh, I’d rather not watch it than watch Sky’s feed. I really don’t like their presenters or the way they cover it. A real shame losing Whisper.

shermer75
    Free Member

Who is Whisper?

dragon
    Free Member

I’d love to see the risk assessment for putting loads of little bits of ‘aero’ carbon fiber around the Halo.

retro83
    Free Member

shermer75 – Member
    Who is Whisper?

Amongst others, DC and Jake Humphries are directors.

stumpy01

How long before one of the driver’s trips over the halo trying to get out of the car & breaks an arm or a collar bone…? 😆

johndoh
    Free Member

Another one here that won’t be paying a penny to watch it. There will be a time very soon when all the major sporting events will be behind a Pay Wall.

onandon
    Free Member

F1 is free to air in France from 2018 season onwards. It’s just the brits who get screwed.

slackalice
    Free Member

I’ve just spent the last half hour on the edge of my seat watching a compelling F1 race at Abu Dhabi!

The final round of the e-sports F1 championship. Utterly brilliant spectator sport, dare I say, better than the real thing. No spoilers, just watch some extremely talented people kids (EDIT) race, hard. Enjoy 8)

[video]https://youtu.be/I–xYlIQF0k[/video]

thepurist

Well that’s Saubers reliability screwed – Alfa Romeo returns to F1

retro83
    Free Member

nice to have that name back in F1 8)

Their new road cars are supposed to be shit hot but there doesn’t seem to be much awareness of them, in the uk at least.

legend
    Free Member

but I remember following F1 when all you got was a 30 min highlights package on BBC2

30min highlights sound good, could probably stop being OTT and reduce it to 5mins though

chrismac

Well that’s Saubers reliability screwed – Alfa Romeo returns to F1

Im not sure how I feel about the rise of junior feeder teams. Clearly this is a fiat marketing ploy to act as a feeder to their other team.

The real question is how close will the 2 teams cars be to each other? Are they going to be an independent team or are fiat effectively going to have a 4 car team with 2 paint jobs.

shermer75
    Free Member

Im not sure how I feel about the rise of junior feeder teams. Clearly this is a fiat marketing ploy to act as a feeder to their other team.

I like it- hopefully it means there will be more opportunity for genuinely talented young drivers to come up through the ranks instead of the slightly cringe making pay drivers..

retro83
    Free Member

chrismac – Member
    The real question is how close will the 2 teams cars be to each other? Are they going to be an independent team or are fiat effectively going to have a 4 car team with 2 paint jobs.

They have to have construct at least the bodywork, that too can be outsourced but not to another team.

bombjack
    Free Member

And Stroll’s dire end to the season is showing that Williams desperately need an experienced driver in the other car.

Williams openly stated that they were developing the 2018 car, hence the drop off in performance. Stroll didnt do badly this year, given how poorly Williams have been for the better part of 20 years I was rather impressed.
    Interesting to see if they go with Kubica. 12 months ago I’d have eaten my hat if he’d signed, now I’m not too sure. Even with 1 hand he seems quick.

the-muffin-man

Interesting to see if they go with Kubica. 12 months ago I’d have eaten my hat if he’d signed, now I’m not too sure. Even with 1 hand he seems quick.

I think they will, but today Sirotkin was only 4 tenths slower and on harder tyres. And he’s not had much F1 experience of late.

Sirotkin’s Rubles + Stroll’s Dollars could be hard to resist! 😀

We have no idea what set-ups they were using of course, but they did say yesterday Kubica would do performance runs today.

jairaj

I have no idea why Williams have been struggling to get near the sharp end apart from a few random races eg Stroll’s podium this year. I’m no F1 expert so if anyone has a link or two to some good analysis by those in the know for why Williams are no where near the top three I’d be interested in having a read.

The BBC’s articles say that Kubica is very good at providing feedback and developing a car. I’d say Williams would be lacking in this respect going into next season with two junior drivers. So the idea of signing Kubica could be about looking towards the future and helping with their development mid/long term rather than actually trying to win a race in short term?

london_lad_liam
    Free Member

Alpha livery inbound….

matt_outandabout

Hello. I like the sparkles red.

nickc

I have no idea why Williams have been struggling to get near the sharp end

Money.

Ferrari’s and Mercedes’ (and Red Bull for that matter) budgets are (as far as it matters in these things) effectively bottomless, Williams are about 20% of the size of those organisations. that they managed to get anywhere near the pointy end speaks volumes about their skill TBH.

shermer75
    Free Member

Williams are about 20% of the size of those organisations. that they managed to get anywhere near the pointy end speaks volumes about their skill TBH.

And even more about Force India’s achievements!! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

The most notably out of place teams are Force India, Renault and McLaren. But mostly McLaren!!!

Renault can be expected to move up in 2018 as this was, in many ways, their rookie year (the 2016 chassis was still very much a Lotus)

Moe

The future starts with an ‘E’….

F1 should’ve seen it coming but they let Bernie rule for too long!

thepurist

Moe – FE is still very slow compared to F1 but it’s getting more relevant every year. I’m guessing the 2021 F1 power units will be the last generation where the ICE is the most important part.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If FE becomes more prominent I’d not be surprised to see Mr Musk turn up with a Telsa Formula E Team (sponsored by SpaceX and PayPal)!

shermer75
    Free Member

So Wehrlein is out despite scoring all of Sauber’s points for the last two seasons. It’s a shame to see his talent leave F1 but Ericsson brings the $$$$ so he gets to stay!

It’s gonna be exciting to see how Charles Leclerc does next year in a (hopefully!) revamped Sauber. He’s been breaking Hamilton’s records as he charged his way up through the lower formulas:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11108517/f1-2018-charles-leclerc-and-marcus-ericsson-confirmed-at-sauber

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yes! France and Germany back. All we need is the US GP to get over its scheduling spat with Mexico and it’ll be sorted.

shermer75
    Free Member

All we need is the US GP to get over its scheduling spat with Mexico and it’ll be sorted.

What spat is that?

thepurist

And to get rid of all the badly designed circuits that don’t suit F1 cars – lookin at you Yas Marina…

Tilke did some great work but most of his good tracks aren’t on the calendar any more.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,319 total)

The topic ‘F1 2018 (spoilers abound)’ is closed to new replies.