• This topic has 1,318 replies, 128 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by hols2.
Viewing 39 posts - 1,281 through 1,319 (of 1,319 total)
  • F1 2018 (spoilers abound)
  • the-muffin-man

Yes

Bez

Well, let’s just hope that next year’s Williams isn’t another bag of crap, then.

orena45

Bez

Well, let’s just hope that next year’s Williams isn’t another bag of crap, then.

I suspect it will still be.  Maybe a bag of not very stinky rabbit crap rather than one full of honking cat turd, but still a bag of crap none the less.

tomhoward

Great moment in the team bosses press conference

Toto Wolff is explaining what Ocon’s role will be next season, sim work, pre and in season testing etc with a view to getting him a seat for 2020

Christian Horner chips in with ‘Will you be teaching him what the different coloured flags mean?’

Silence….

RickDraper
    Free Member

Great lap by Hamilton, he has stepped it up this year. I don’t think we have another driver on the grid who can match him.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

His Q2 lap was immense.

slowoldman

Yes pretty astonishing stuff. I doff my cap and I’m no fanboy.

RickDraper
    Free Member

On a side note I don’t care for Kubica coming back. He is just another pay driver with a fanfare now. If he proves me wrong then good luck to him but I just don’t see it.

legend
    Free Member

Not a great halo advert there

bigdean

On the one hand it stopped a head injury at spa on the othe driver trapped upside down. Could he have gotten out without the halo? I’m not so sure.

bigdaddy

I don’t think he could’ve got out of there without a halo though. Spectacular crash though, pleased he’s ok

milky1980
    Free Member

It’s not so much the halo stopping him getting out, it’s the halo stopping him releasing the foam surround.  There was an article on one of the websites that showed that a car upside down against a barrier is the one situation where the driver would be pinned in with the halo but able to get out without it.  The roll hoop height is set so that you can shimmy out sideways in an upside down car by having room to release the foam surround and crawl out but it wasn’t changed when they rushed  the halo into the regs.  The main issue is the fire, if that had spread before being put out there would have been problems.

Glad he’s OK.

Kryton57

Lol at the Verstappen / Ocon brazil replay. I didnt notice Max giving Ocon the finger previously.

tomhoward

Engineer: ‘Theres another point up for grabs here!’

Alonso: ‘I have 1800 points’

😀

Klunk
    Free Member

another consummate display from the wc doing just enough and driving to a delta he is the master. rather resigned from vettel almost as if he’s conceding next season too!

legend
    Free Member

Also interesting that at the end of the season only one person still cares enough to post after the race, and i’m pretty sure the lengths of the thread is considerably shorter than last years (which was a chunk shorter than the year before)

Klunk
    Free Member

no controversy, clean racing makes the tdf dull, var will ruin football and drivers being nice to each other kills ratings ! 🙂

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

+ races behind paywall.  Expect next years thread to be even shorter. With formula E on BBC I might give it a go

simondbarnes

Bah, just missed the podium in the fantasy league 🙁

lister

Are all races going to pay as you view? Nothing on terrestrial?

richmars

Only live free is Silverstone, highlights on C4.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Alonso: ‘I have 1800 points

You see, I thought he came across as a cock there. It sounded like he was saying I’m alright, screw you. If that was the case he should have bowed out before this race. And if he wasn’t so fatheaded he might have recalled that he was on 1899 points, and could have made it 1900…

I too don’t care so much for Kubica coming back. He showed some promise back in the day (as have many), but he’s had a few set backs since then.

A quality driver would have been a better bet. Is there a cash incentive to hiring him?

bombjack
    Free Member

The whole love in with Alonso this season has been nauseating. He was a great driver who burnt his bridges too many times, and wasn’t going to win another race let alone another championship in F1. I love the fact that he’s seen there is a like outside of F1 (Le Mans, Indy etc) but he should have stepped away from Mclaren (or them sub him for a driver if the future) as soon as he decided to quit.

What he did give Mclaren and F1 / Liberty was plenty of column inches to distract from the boring looking cars, quiet engines and generally “meh” feeling to the season.

Hopefully next year will be a bit more appealing, I was turned off by half way through the year and had almost forgot there was a race this weekend.

hols2
    Free Member

Is there a cash incentive to hiring him?

He has sponsors who bring a decent amount of money. I’m skeptical that he will be as fast as he was, but Williams need an experienced driver to try and develop their car.

the-muffin-man

Kubica is only 33 – and drivers back-in-the-day before flappy paddle gearboxes basically drove one handed anyway. And they have power steering now, so I can’t see it being an issue.

I predict he’ll outpace Russell.

Next years excitement really depends if Honda can get Red Bull to the front. Ferrari will be the same as always – promising start then fall apart! 🙂

Gasly will be crushed by Max – I think he’s OK, but not stellar.

thepurist

He’ll also bring a PR halo to Williams – his back story will guarantee more attention (for the first few races at least) than they’d get elsewhere, so they can probably use that to drive higher prices for sponsors.  If it all goes to pot after that I’m sure they’ve still got a chance of putting Ocon in the seat.

Gasly will be crushed by Max – I think he’s OK, but not stellar.

I think Max has a lot of support internally too, so Gasly won’t get parity unless he can start beating Max regularly and he won’t do that without parity.

Similar deal for LeClerc at Ferrari so we’ve basically got Hamilton, Vettel or Verstappen as WDC and I’d be willing to put money on Honda not delivering enough to give Max the chance.

tomhoward

Similar deal for LeClerc at Ferrari

My money is on him taking Vettel to the cleaners. finger boy will get a mard on for the rest of the year, then back at RB for 2020, assuming Honda have got their act together.

retro83
    Free Member

PJM1974
    Free Member

TBF to Gasly, he’s put in some pretty respectable performances, he’s beaten his team mate in qualifying and race pace consistently.  It’s hard to judge the potential of the car – like RB it had a mid season mediocre spell, but the Honda engine hasn’t been a disaster and has benchmarked the RB’s Renault for reliability and power.  The exciting prospect has to be the relationship between he and Verstappen, given there’s two years of age between them.

Upon reflection I’m quite sad to see the exit of Alonso, despite being a massive bell at times during his early career he’s been kept honest by that pig of a McLaren.  That seventh at Baku in an already wonky and latterly broken car was immense.  He’s been faultless of late, arguably his most enjoyable to watch as he inevitably diced for P8 with a Sauber.   It also speaks volumes that someone who clearly has much more to give has not found a seat at one of the top four.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Honda hasn’t been a disaster? Have you seen how many new PU elements they banked during the season and how poor the race pace of the engine was?

hols2
    Free Member

the Honda engine hasn’t been a disaster and has benchmarked the RB’s Renault for reliability and power.

No, it’s still even more unreliable than the Renault. The Renault seemed to suffer from the tight packaging in the Red Bull, so big question of how the Honda will cope with that. Being as good as the Renault still means being a long way behind Ferrari and Merc.

Bez

My money is on [Leclerc] taking Vettel to the cleaners.

Mine too. It’s not as if Vettel hasn’t previously been shown up by a newcomer, and Monza showed everyone that he doesn’t have the level of support from Ferrari that Schumacher or Alonso had. I suspect they’ll be gradually moving their eggs into a Leclerc-shaped basket already.

So I think there are three definite contenders for the WDc next year: Hamilton, Vettel and Leclerc. If Honda get their act sorted then Verstappen will be right there, too. Bottas and Gasly won’t get a look in, sadly not will Ricciardo.

Hopefully McLaren and Williams can get their cars sorted. They both claim to have found the root of their problems, so we shall see.

Whatever pans out with the cars, though, there are a lot of driver pairings that will be interesting to watch early in the season and a couple which could provide some sparks.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

My predictions:

Vettel/LeClerc/Ferrari will degenerate into bitter infighting and self destruction as LeClerc shows the Red Baron up.

Verstappen and Redbull will be bloody fast until the Honda hand-grenades.

Hamilton WDC for next two years, equalling MS and goes for win record and then moves to the Red Team to try to win the championship after Vettel has skulked off.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Honda hasn’t been a disaster? Have you seen how many new PU elements they banked during the season and how poor the race pace of the engine was?

I was about to reply along the lines of “nooo, but you’re wrong!” when I looked up the PU element usage for 2018 and by Jove you’re right about the reliability.  It’s even abysmal next to Monza spec Renault.

Bez

when I looked up the PU element usage for 2018 and by Jove you’re right about the reliability

That’s not necessarily reliability, that’s changing parts. I think Toro Rosso only had three retirements from 42 starts attributed to PU failures. They certainly chewed through plenty of PU elements over the course of the season, but don’t forget that one of the main purposes of getting the Honda unit into the Toro Rosso was to prepare it for Red Bull. The Toro is a proving ground, always has been. No doubt this year will have involved plenty of finding the limits of the engine and trying out some innovations.

hols2
    Free Member

That’s not necessarily reliability, that’s changing parts.

Yes, fair points, but it still means that Honda reliability is an unknown quantity. Honda were obviously just pushing for as much power as possible without caring too much about reliability (which makes perfect sense to me). Problem is that the other manufacturers were generally making engines last for 7 races, so Honda’s claimed performance benefit over Renault is kinda from a “grenade” engine versus an endurance engine. Renault’s performance has been abysmal since the new engines were introduced, but they do seem to have a fair point that the packaging in the Red Bull was partly responsible for the reliability problems. That tight packaging is probably going to cause problems for Honda too.

And, even if they are better than Renault, they’re still a long way behind Ferrari and Merc. Next year Renault will certainly have improved their power a bit, so my money is on the Renault being the better engine once Honda have to turn it down a bit to make it last more than two races. I can’t see any way the Honda is going to have both the performance and reliability to challenge Ferrari and Merc across a whole season, maybe win a race here and there, but not challenge for the titles. I hope I’m wrong, but Honda have a track record of promising that they have something on the dyno that is world-beating and then turning up with an utter turd.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Am I correct in my understanding that Honda’s issue is with the heat energy recovery system?

hols2
    Free Member

Am I correct in my understanding that Honda’s issue is with the heat energy recovery system?

Their original engine had a turbo that was too small so they lost out on heat recovery. The revised one fixed that, but Renault and Honda seem to be a bit behind in all areas. They are slightly behind in race power output, but don’t have the qualifying modes that Merc and Ferrari use. Plus, they aren’t as reliable so they can’t run them flat out in races the way Merc can for short bursts.

Viewing 39 posts - 1,281 through 1,319 (of 1,319 total)

The topic ‘F1 2018 (spoilers abound)’ is closed to new replies.