Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • extremely bad lower back pain
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Look forward to your response later kaese! A mate mentioned something called bowan therapy ( I think that was it) he reckoned it was the business! He had the treatment in Oz

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bowen therapy. Read up on it – it doesn't look like much to me

BillMC

I've a pal in Qld who swears by it too.

iainc

TJ mentioned Alexander Technique. I've been doing it for 3 or 4 years as I was worried about the Diclofenac eating up my guts. It definately works for me, but being of an engineering persuasion, it initially sounds and feels a bit mumbo jumbo. I stiuck with it and now still use NSAID's but a lot less regularly. Age 44, knackered back, knees, foot, still riding 3 times a week 😆

isnilloc
    Free Member

I almost forgot along with Yoga, Also can I suggest the http://www.grinbergmethod.com/.

Its a holistic methodology of dealing and overcoming pain.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey I've started up a thread so we can research this. Alexander technique and yoga rock!!!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/coping-with-back-pain-or-injuries-and-effective-forms-of-treatment-and-healing?replies=1#post-1382110

Who's up for some research and results?

wrightyson
    Free Member

The mate who had the boewen therapy was very sceptical as well, he's suffered with bad back since mid teens, (which also ended his promising tennis career,) so he'd been thro loads of previous treatments. oh And he's also based in queensland Billmc

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Have you thought itmay not be back pain???

3 years ago I thought I had hurt my back, unbelievable pain, 3 weeks later admitted to hospital with infected gallbladder!!!!

**** inbelievable pain!!!

Had it cut out now pain free 😛

mudmonster
    Free Member

Yes it has crossed my mind that it isn't muscle pain. Well I tried to stop drinking for a while after a long weekend in berlin in february. It lasted 2 weeks until a party came along and I overdid it a "bit". The next day I had a lot of pain in my back for 5 or 6 days. More of a dull pain though. It went away and I forgot about it. The pain I have now is more sharp and hurts with certain movements. That's the thing I don't really know for sure and the doctor didn't either. I'll wait and see what tomorrow brings.

ratadog

Diclofenac is not a muscle relaxant – its a non steroidal inflammatory – same group of drugs as Ibuprofen

Ibuleve is useless – so the trials show IIRC

Syndol is not a muscle relaxant – it contains an antihistamine to make you drowsey.

Get real advice from professionals.

+1

And as was also said, Amitriptyline is widely used in the relief of certain types of pain. I always tell patients about its other use so that if they know/find out/someone tells them that it is also an antidepressant they don't get upset/offended/bop someone.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I've had back trouble also diagnosed as muscular, when I lifted something heavy. As in your case I was told to stay active and take ibuprofen. It was bad enough that I could hardly walk.

Unofficially (and I'm not recommending this, though maybe someone with medical knowledge can comment) I was told by a friend who is a physio, to take a fair bit more than the recommended dose of ibuprofen (i.e. 1 gm) straight away when I got the pain, + about 400 mg 3 times a day for the next couple of days. I was told this would be unlikely to cause me any problems over such a short period, though I believe ibuprofen is not recommended if you have stomach problems.

Anyway, I took the ibuprofen and soldiered on, and essentially I was fine within a couple of days.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

To the OP. Its likely to be muscular and you GP is right it can take 6 weks to mend. I've had a couple of instances of lower back pain. First time I was OK within 48 hrs. Second time crawling around on the floor and off work for two weeks. Got Co-codamol and diclofenec from the GP. Diclofenec I found to be useless so stopped taking it. Probably took me a month before I had full range of movement back. Trouble with back pain is you use your back muscles even when lying down so it can be difficult to sleep or rest. You'll just have to tough it out I'm afraid. Try not to do too much when you feel it getting better that's a mistake I made and it set my recovery back a week.

When its on the mend try some gentle- and I mean gentle yoga poses. Look up pose of a cow, pose of a cat and pose of a child. I found these good for gently stretching out the lower back.

When properly better start building up your core muscles.

brant
    Free Member

Can I just recommend these ridiculous looking seats again – incredibly good if you have back problems. Look daft, but work great.

http://www.waveseat.com/

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘extremely bad lower back pain’ is closed to new replies.