Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Extract pics from Word Doc?
  • fattatlasses
    Free Member

Please excuse my IT software ignorance!

Does anyone know how I can copy/extract images out of a Word Doc and into a folder on my hard disc?

I’m putting together some pictures to illustrate a talk I’m doing at a local history society – and it’s proving to be a right ‘mare.

Some of most relevant images are in a Word Doc that I wrote a few years ago, and I think the original images are on a Zip Disc – and I no longer have a Zip drive!

I’ve tried copying the image and pasting into relevant folder, but when I go to paste into a folder, the option to paste isn’t there.

Can anyone advise please?

simonbea
    Free Member

You are going to need to copy and paste them into some sort of image editing program first, like photoshop and then save them as jpgs

stumpy01

Could you copy the image & paste it into Paint?
    Not sure if it would give you a really low-res image though….I’m not sure what Word does to the image once you’ve imported it….

alfabus
    Free Member

copy and paste into an image program – paintbrush will do.. then save the image to file.

Dave

druidh
    Free Member

If you have the Microsoft Office Picture Manager on your PC, just paste them into there.

dazz
    Free Member

Haven’t used word in a while, can you just highlight it, right click, then “save as”?

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, right-click > Save As Picture.

Cougar

Can’t you drag & drop as well, or am I misremembering?

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Ta for the advice. Looks like I’ll have to investigate what photo editing software I’ve got kicking about (new laptop, so not much software on it at the mo).

I’ve tried the right click on pic & save, but the right click menu thingie doesn’t give the save option – don’t know if it’s a crap version of Word that I have on here(?), ‘cos I’m sure I’ve used that option before.

DezB
    Free Member

You could always use Snag-It and screencap the pics.

30 day free trial – http://www.techsmith.com/download/snagit/default.asp

dan1980
    Free Member

I’ve just had to do this for a colleague here, and the method I’d use is to install GIMP (It’s free) and right click on the image in word, and select copy. Then paste into GIMP.

I tried using mspaint, but the results were a pixalated mess.

maccruiskeen

how about a screen grab

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Just tried drag & drop and that hasn’t worked. There’s an option called Hyperlink on the right click menu that looks promising – but I’ve got to dodge out of the office for a bit now. Ta for the suggestions so far.

dan1980
    Free Member

You could always use Snag-It and screencap the pics.

Or you could use the print screen button on your keyboard… unless I’m missing something special that snag-it does?

simonbea
    Free Member

If its a new laptop on windows 7 you should have the ‘Snipping Tool’ too which can take a screenshot and save it.

stever
    Free Member

SnagIt is superb, but your quickest way is Save as HTML and you’ll get a pile of pics in a sub-folder.

DezB
    Free Member

Or you could use the print screen button on your keyboard… unless I’m missing something special that snag-it does?

Yeah, if you use screen print you’d still have to paste the capture into editing software, crop it and save it.
    With Snag-it you can do all that.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Don’t screen cap it, it’ll look shit.

Right click, copy the image.

Then paste it in to GIMP as mentioned above, or my favourite Paint.Net. Then save from there as whatever format you require.

traindriver
    Free Member

I don’t think if it can be pasted directly to any image editing software. Never tried it.

But Keeping a print screen of is a good idea. You can first zoom it in and then, print screen it and paste to Mspaint. Maybe you’ll solve your problem by that.

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks traindriver! 🙂

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Well, thanks for the suggesting to use GIMP – it’s worked a treat! (STW to the rescue again! 🙂 )

Thanks again for all the advice.

stever
    Free Member

Honestly, Save As HTML. Every pic in the whole document in a couple of clicks. Ah well.

leffeboy

ok, I know that you have already done it, but the easiest way in Word is just to go File/SaveAs and save the file as a web page e.g fatl.htm. You then get a separate folder with the images in called fatl_images

bosh
    [edit – beaten to it by stever 🙁 ]

traindriver
    Free Member

Thanks again for all the advice.

Always welcome. 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Extract pics from Word Doc?’ is closed to new replies.