Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • External EBB Question
  • inbred853

I am thinking of fitting an external eccentric BB to my Inbred instead of using the usual chain tensioner. I have seen two types one made by Forward Components(USA) and one by Trickstuff(Ger).
    Has anybody had any experience with type of BB and if so, good or bad?
    Ta
    Forward Components Site
    Trickstuff

Andy-R

I've used the Trickstuff Excentriker for almost two years now and I've not had any problems with it, apart from having to replace the drive side bearing a month or two ago.
    If I was buying now though I'd probably get the Forward Components version, if only because it's a bit cheaper. There are pros and cons to either I suppose, there's a review here anyway, which might be useful?

Sam

I have had both. Used the exzentricker for a while and din't find it to be that reliable – I'm sure a search will turn up previous thoughts from me and other who've used them – generally underwhelmed I would say is the consensus.

I had a Forward unit arrive a little while back and I haven't yet got around to putting it on a frame, though initial impressions are certainly much better than the exzentricker. It is a much more solidly built unit and while it looks like it will take a lot of faffing about to adjust chain tension once it's done it's not moving. If you particularly wanted one I could possibly be persuaded to part with it…

epicyclo

Sam +1

inbred853

Thanks for the advice, I will probably be buying the FC one as I am living in the US at the moment and it is cheaper than the Trickstuff one.
    Getting my Inbred powder coated soon to give it a new lease of life and going to SS it.
    I had looked into getting Paragon sliders retro fitted, but this would cost an arm and a leg and I've been advised it would prove to be quite difficult if not impossible to go this way.
    Ta

mtbfix

Get a chain tensioner and save yourself a few bucks. Industry consensus seems to think you have to have your BB faced when using an external BB then we go and fit 'EBBs' that have two independently aligned cups. It just strikes me as counter intuitive.

clubber
    Free Member

Industry consensus

No it's not. It's just usual mtb b*****ks. Facing does nothing to ensure that the two sides of the BB are parallel to each other, only that the thread and face on each side are in line on that side (at least using the tools that the vast majority of shops use).

Sam

No it's not. It's just usual mtb b*****ks. Facing does nothing to ensure that the two sides of the BB are parallel to each other, only that the thread and face on each side are in line on that side (at least using the tools that the vast majority of shops use).

So for them not to be square you are saying the thread might be cut off line? My bb facing tool (a cyclus) has a piece which threads in on either side so the central spindle runs straight down the middle of the tube, and the cutting face is square to that. So I'm not sure how it could be cutting non-parallel faces. My experience is that in doing this you often discover that the faces are not square.

Getting back to the question – mtbfix, you are right that it's less than ideal, it's a 'bodge' to make a single cog drivetrain work on a bike not designed for it. The right way to do it is to have a frame with an ebb in the shell (or sliding or horizontal dropouts if that's your thing).

khani
    Free Member

could you use one to fiddle wth the geomatry of a geared bike, eg, lower/slacker
    or even a full suss?

Sam

could you use one to fiddle wth the geomatry

Not really, the throw on an external eccentric bb is only 6mm. A 'normal' full size eccentric gives you an inch which does change things quite noticeably.

inbred853

The info on the FC external EBB gives an adjustment of 15mm, can't find anything for the Trickstuff one though.
    Should I get my BB faced before or after powder coating ❓
    I have asked over here in the US about retro fitting paragon sliders to the Inbred, but 95% of the people have said it's not going to work, something to do with the angles of the seat/chain stays and the sliding dropouts.
    I remember reading about an old Kona frame the one of the STW staffers had converted with sliding dropouts 🙂

Sven

I doubt even the FC EBB has more than 13mm movement, same for Trickstuff, I measured it and you cannot get more movement as otherwise the axle would hit the bottom bracket shell. At 12.7mm, you would still need a half-ling in half (hence the name?) the cases, that's why sliding dropouts or proper EBBs have a throw of at least 25.4mm or 1".

Certainly get the BB faced AFTER powdercoating!

Sven

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘External EBB Question’ is closed to new replies.