Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Extending Wireless Network help pls
  • Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Hi I have broadband from Virgin, all works well and has for 8 years, I have the modem from virgin and attached to that a wireless Belkin router. Now this is all in my office which is a converted loft. Now my problem is I have a new wireless xbox in the living room but it keeps dropping its connection! what do I need to get a better signal? the xbox has 802.11n ability which I beleive is much faster than my current belkin router at 802.11g. Can anyone confirm if I should get a new wireless router with better range or should I get a repeater, and if I put this in the living room would it help? Just after the best way to get a a good high speed connection. Lastly if I get a new router 802.11n is this limited by the modem's ability? if I get a repeater will it be limited by the existing belkin 802.11g wireless router?… im confused!!!!!!

Crell
    Free Member

Dear confused, none of the above. Get a homeplug / powerline adaptor to give you a cabled connection from the xbox to a plug that goes in your electric socket. It then uses your electric wiring to send your data, and put the other plug near your router and cable from that to your Router(assuming it has LAN (RJ45)ports). If you don't have any ports just buy a cheap hub.

Cougar

In terms of wireless, the old 360 dongles (single aerial) are wireless b/g only, so changing the router wouldn't make a difference. You'd need to get a wireless n adapter (twin aerial) for the 360 also.

Personally, I'd be inclined to agree with Crell – Homeplugs are probably the best option here.

sadmadalan

Just to add to the confusion

Wireless-N is version of wireless standard 802.11. To make it work with your Xbox (if it has wireless-n ability) is for you to replace the wireless router with a new one that does wireless-n (802.11n). There are many such boxes at different prices, but they should work. I say should because makers sometimes don't implement the full set of features. But go for a big maker and you should be ok, some even advertise that they work with a Xbox.

The router should also work in mixed mode, i.e. do 802.11g and possibly 802.11b. Check what your current kit is using and make sure that the new router supports that as well. if you want the capability of 802.11n on your existing kit you will need a new wireless card/USB dongle. 802.11n basically gives your faster rates over a longer distance. (I am sure an expert will be along in a moment to correct me and provide the exact definition).

I have used Homeplugs before – and they have failed for me. Old houses with ropey wiring can struggle. My house has the existing 1973 wiring it was built with and the signal through the house is very poor. I have gone back to using a wireless extender for my 802.11g equipment.

(My next upgrade to to replace the entire wireless network with 802.11n

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

cheers all, im not after super fast speed just dont want the xbox to keep dopping its connection whilst playing on-line. My laptop and phone never drop the connection but it is weak down stairs! My house has very old wires (1950's) so not sure if this is the best option or just get an extender / repeater?

Drac

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

mmm I love pringles

forgot to say im not after lightning speeds, wont use it for films etc just gaming and internet use. Would the repeater be the best bet due to the old wiring?

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

another option which is pretty cheap is to get wireless router of any kind and use it as an access point using cat 5 cabling some of the way if you can?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Extending Wireless Network help pls’ is closed to new replies.