Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Exposure Diablo vs Lupine Tesla
  • jimjam
    Free Member

I’m contemplating getting a decent light this year (the sooner the better). It’ll be used for xc rides and probably the odd bit of night dh. I much prefer helmet mounting and the light will be used on it’s own, at least until next year when I might get another.

So, can anyone shed any light on……gah….

Does anyone have any experience of either light?

Also, I can get a wilma 5 at close to trade price, but I don’t think I can justify that extra expense as I don’t perceive/cant imagine any massive advantage. Right or wrong?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

the diablo only has a 1 hour run time on full chat so is that long enough for your anticipated rides??

jimjam
    Free Member

valleydaddy – Member

the diablo only has a 1 hour run time on full chat so is that long enough for your anticipated rides??

I could probably navigate the fire roads / less techy bits (which would make up the vast majority) on low power till I get to the fun bits, then bang it on to full for the fun stuff. Which realistically on a 3 hour night ride would probably amount to maybe 20 or 30 minutes if I’m lucky.

That’s the plan in my head anyway as I am drawn to the diablo.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

If your thinking about the Tesla then a separate battery is obviously not a problem, in which case you can always extend the burn time of a Diablo with a piggback battery.

Single cell will double the burn time, triple sell will give you 4hr on max.

jimjam
    Free Member

A separate battery wouldn’t be a deal breaker, no. But the idea of wireless is attractive, as is the idea of using the light as a torch when needs must.

dyls

I have a diablo and think its very good. Havent the experience of the Lupine though. There is a deal on WIggle atm with 20% off, so you could get a diablo and a piggyback battery for under £200.

It is the wireless idea that attracted me to exposure, I sold a hope 4 a few months back and bought a toro and a diablo. Impressed with both.

jimjam
    Free Member

How does the diablo compare to the hope 4?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a Diablo and it’s awesome by the way 😀

agree what you say about toggling between power levels to extend battery life.

wireless was a major draw for me I’ve had lots of exposure lights now with no problems I am happy to report.

dyls

I’d say they are very similar on light output on the max setting, well I cant tell the difference anyway! The diablo is a lot more compact though, although it wont last as long as the hope. Remember the diablo is only rated as 3 hrs on the medium setting, I haven’t really tested how long the battery lasts am my night rides up to now have been shorter than this.

jimjam
    Free Member

valleydaddy – Member

I’ve got a Diablo and it’s awesome by the way

agree what you say about toggling between power levels to extend battery life.

So how long have you managed to drag it out on mixed settings?

dyls – Member

I’d say they are very similar on light output on the max setting, well I cant tell the difference anyway! The diablo is a lot more compact though, although it wont last as long as the hope. Remember the diablo is only rated as 3 hrs on the medium setting, I haven’t really tested how long the battery lasts am my night rides up to now have been shorter than this.

Thanks guy.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

to be fair jimjam I use it with a MaxxD as my main light and the diablo is only on for the techy bits as a helmet/spot light – I like lots of light you see 😯

jimjam
    Free Member

valleydaddy – Member

to be fair jimjam I use it with a MaxxD as my main light and the diablo is only on for the techy bits as a helmet/spot light – I like lots of light you see

Burn times aside, would you be happy to use the diablo on it’s own?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I use a diablo on its own no problem. I use on low for fireroad, slow climbs and medium/max for more technical stuff and fast descents.

Usually have enough battery for couple of hours mixing those settings.

I have gotten over 1 hour out of the diablo on Max as-well but wouldnt want to be relying on it for much longer.

My girlfriend has a Maxx-D on the bars and a diablo which is the ideal combo I think. She usually lights up most of the trail for me as-well as her!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Luminous 601 – over 1700 lumens, 3+ hours runtime on full beam on the bigger battery, even medium beam is bright and last ages. Low beam (best for commuting) last weeks.

About £350.

http://www.luminouslights.co.uk/601pro.html

Extremely high quality too – not some thrown together item like some UK stuff.

Luminous
    Free Member

I may have missed the budget, if the OP has posted one, but the 401 exceeds the Tesla and the Wilma, on performance.

Beats the Wilma on Price and roughly appears to match the price for a Tesla, after having a quick google.

Obviously, its not really a useful comparison though with the Diablo, cable free and all that.

🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

Luminous – Member

I may have missed the budget, if the OP has posted one,

Budget would be as cheap as possible, but I would still like something that gives 700+ lumens and is usable on its own without getting into silly money.

Like everyone else I’ve looked at the deal extreme stuff but I found the range of light units a bit confusing, never mind trying to figure out which x77800lxu charger would need to be bought to go with light grsex101y 500 and so on. Also, I’m a notorious breaker of stuff, so the less wires and batteries to go wrong the better, and I thought it would be best if I went with a reputable company who could easily be contacted should I need spares/repairs etc.

I’m leaning strongly towards the diablo.

dyls

Quick, if you buy off Wiggle today, its only £160 if you use the xmas-20 voucher. 😀 It’s a very good light for that amount and you can always purchase an additional handlebar light in the future if you wanted to.

Luminous
    Free Member

A Diablo it is then, happy trails.
    😉

jimjam
    Free Member

Luminous – Member

A Diablo it is then, happy trails.

Do I sense a bit of dismay, and or mild derision from your post? Perhaps to be expected.

I think so anyway mate, cant stretch to one of your lights, and tbh I’ve not heard much about them other than from you or reading your site . The figures are very impressive on paper though, and they look tidy. Not sure about the ano colours mind.

I’ll maybe get one next year, and perhaps by then I’ll be able to get 3000+ lumens for £200 🙂

kelvin

£160 … tempted.

Luminous
    Free Member

Do I sense a bit of dismay
    Not at all 🙂

or mild derision from your post
    And certainly not. As I’ve stated on previous posts, its a buyers market and I definately recognize that most people are going to shop around.
    😉

It always looked to me that you were most likely to go the exposure route, but I thought I’d just fill in the gaps as I thought the 401 is most suited/closest to your budget and intended use as helmet light.

Furthermore, above lights and all that business, I am a cycling enthusiast, ie, I enjoy cycling and encourage others to do so.
    So when I wish someone happy trails, its with sincerity.

I’m on record as pointing out that in my opinion, its the getting out there and riding thats the main priority.

And as Kelvin has posted, for £160, I can see the attraction.
    🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

Thanks Mr. Luminous.

jimjam
    Free Member

Diablo ordered.

faint
    Free Member

another thumbs up for the Diablo here.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Diablo vs Lupine Tesla’ is closed to new replies.