Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Evil 150mm carbon trailbike
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Just seen a pic of the new Evil Uprising that Filip Polc has been racing some Urban DH on recently.

Full carbon, 150mm travel, 66.5deg HA, 72deg SA (in ‘low’ setting with 150mm forks).

Looks pretty similar to the new DH frame, the Undead.

Or a nice, subtle yellow…

james
    Free Member

I can see that its obviously quite different, but on first appearance it looks like an ugly(ier?) GT?
    imo of course ..

ashfanman
    Free Member

I can see that its obviously quite different, but on first appearance it looks like an ugly(ier?) GT? imo of course ..

I hadn’t noticed that before, but now you mention it there definitely is a hint of GT to it. Maybe a bit more svelte though.

Would take a brave man to shell out the not inconsiderable amount they’ll no doubt be asking for it, after all the problems with the Revolt…

steezysix
    Free Member

It’d be nice to see more info, unfortunately they haven’t updated their website in 3 years…

bwaarp
    Free Member

Well…..I always thought a carbon Nukeproof Mega would be nice. This looks to be it.

Ta. :mrgreen:

I think it’s lovely looking, just hope Evil gets the frame alignment right this time round.

james
    Free Member

“a hint of GT to it”
    The shock positioning isnt, I think its the seat tube brace and shape of the swingarm that made me think of GT sanction/force

bwaarp
    Free Member

looks more like the older heavy 10 inch trek downhill bike to me.

Mike
    Free Member

I think Trek, Lapierre and Ibis also inspired the design as well, but what I do know is I want it bad :mrgreen:

wysiwyg
    Free Member

2 weeks…

igmc

Northwind

It could be great. Or it could fall apart in a dozen different ways like the Revolt. Who knows?

atlaz
    Free Member

Will anyone trust them though? I loved the look of the proto trail bike a few years back but after the Revolt I wouldn’t go near them until there’d been a couple of years where their new frames were proved to be better.

wrecker
    Free Member

Evil seems to be a firm that everyone wants to like but they’re hard to love. The Revolt was one of the least reliable bikes ever made. The Sect was eagerly anticipated and never materialised despite lots of interest.
    October 2009
    The uprising looks nice but will it get to market and if it does will it be any good?

xiphon
    Free Member

Makes me wonder how Evil stay in business?

Only seen 2 Revolts on the tracks, one of which snapped right before my eyes!

continuity
    Free Member

Also, isn’t that just a basic single pivot driven by about a hundred thousand links?

steveh

Every revolt a shop I know sold snapped and had to go back and I too saw one fail in front of me catastrophically so wouldn’t go near an evil now without a couple of years of history on them.

atlaz
    Free Member

They said the back-end of the Revolt is as much as 25mm out of line on some bikes.

And yes, the Sect looked really like it might be a good bike but they never even said why it didn’t come to life. Also, like someone else said, the fact their website hasnt really ever been updated would worry me.

wrecker
    Free Member

I do wonder it they’re rich kids doing it for a hobby.

toons
    Free Member

I think this article sums up why they haven’t update their website!

The Writer Knows Nothing: EVIL

atlaz
    Free Member

That’s a good article. Doesn’t make me feel that you could be confident plonking down that sort of cash on the bike until it’d had a year or so of other people riding to find the flaws

wrecker
    Free Member

No comment on the Sect, I can only imagine that Evil got jittery after the disaster with the Revolt.
    The Uprising looks very interesting indeed, I look forward to seeing more details.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’ll be happy once they update their website and start talking about a bolt thru back end, 44mm head tube, carbon fibre Sovereign. It needs to happen.

beb

Interesting article. Pretty honest appraisal of the role of brand image in the MTB industry, and probably some truth to the statement about how we worry about the geeky details a bit too much. But for a brand with so many mech failures in its recent history I’d like to hear some more about how they’ve sweated the tech details rather than such a company focus on the brand image…very different approach to a company like say Cotic who wear their engineering on their sleeve.

atlaz
    Free Member

beb – Their assertion is that the factory messed it all up and they’ve got a better one. But they don’t say whether they have someone inspecting the factory.

brant
    Free Member

I’ve been to that factory. It’s VERY good.

atlaz
    Free Member

That being the new one or that being the one they blame for their previous ills?

brant
    Free Member

The new carbon place. Lapierre, Canyon, BMC, oh and Titus too.

thepodge
    Free Member

That looks nice but would be nicer with a simpler linkage setup

hora
    Free Member

I don’t see the point of a carbon full susser. I mean how much weight (in the grand scheme of things) do you save over a well made aluminium frame?

Compare the cost, worry to actual weight saving.

Bang on the money for rich lifestyle purchasers though.

thepodge
    Free Member

Far far stronger for the same weight than alu & the ability to mould shapes almost impossible in alu.

And marketing

unklehomered
    Free Member

That is a beautiful thing, but that looks like the tiniest linkage that ever their was.

As for origins it looks for all the world like a commencal mashup to me.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I don’t see the point of a carbon full susser. I mean how much weight (in the grand scheme of things) do you save over a well made aluminium frame?

Stiffer, stronger & lighter. It’s called evolution. You don’t have to buy it, if you can’t justify/afford it. Just like you don’t have to buy a bike for more than £500, which will do the same job.

Whoever buys an Evil better stock up on the brave pills 🙂

flange
    Free Member

I know about 4/10 of fk all about manufacturing carbon frames, but I’m thinking that once you have the tooling for making them, the actual production costs are cheaper? There’s also a school of thought that carbon can make a much stronger frame than steel/ali.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would love one of those Evil Uprising frames, it would be a great swap over from my Enduro. The Revolt frames were fantastic looking things and this seems to have carried over onto the new bikes. Lets just hope the reliability hasn’t carried over too. I would buy an Uprising in a heartbeat if as Brant says they are made at a reputable factory(and I had the money). It sounds like Evil have learnt their QC lessons.

honourablegeorge

hora – Member

Compare the cost, worry to actual weight saving.

Bang on the money for rich lifestyle purchasers though.

Carbon Nomad saves a pound and a half (slightly more even, it’s 1.6 or 1.7 lbs) over the aluminium version, it’s stronger and stiffer into the bargain too. An extra £600 or so to save a pound and a half isn’t that expensive, relative to XTR cranks and similar weight savings elsewhere – and you get a better frame into the bargain.

hora
    Free Member

Stronger and stiffer.

Great however don’t you guys drop your bike, get rock strikes, ride in gritty areas etc etc? Unless it has a hockey-stick finish I wouldn’t be interested.

Call me ‘oldskool’

Rorschach
    Free Member

Brant.Is that the same factory where they had the undead made? (which was almost as bad as the revolt).
    Marketing company + bike manufacturing = Disaster (yes that includes you,specialized)

honourablegeorge

hora – Member
    Stronger and stiffer.

Great however don’t you guys drop your bike, get rock strikes, ride in gritty areas etc etc? Unless it has a hockey-stick finish I wouldn’t be interested.

Call me ‘oldskool’

Course I do (I don’t have the carbon bike, mind – yet). Don’t see it as any more of an issue, though – Carbon is plenty tough, see below. Those forks passed Niner’s stress testing after this battering.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_O9PLorYPA[/video]

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve never seen any frame material other than carbon fail.

Please turn this thread into ANOTHER carbon is/is not rubbish argument

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hora, it genuinely wouldnt bother me. Especially with this type of bike, a flexy xc bike yes but not a hard as nails ad/trail bike.

Rorschach
    Free Member

A badly designed and built steel frame is a bad frame.
    A badly designed and built aluminium frame is a bad frame
    A badly designed and built carbon fibre frame is a bad frame.
    A badly designed and built spaghetti frame tastes awesome.
    Therefore all frames should be made from pasta (but not wholewheat).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Evil 150mm carbon trailbike’ is closed to new replies.