Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ever not been rescued?
  • awh
    Free Member

Who has not been rescued and had to struggle home?

I ripped the bead away from the sidewall on a tubeless tyre. I thought I’ll just put a tube in and it’ll be fine. When I inflated it the rip then got so big that the tube bulged out from the tyre and wouldn’t fit through the frame if I put more than about 10psi in. So I put 10psi in, pedalled standing up, putting all my weight onto my ok front wheel and rode the 15 miles home. I have a big bundle of zip-ties in my Camelbak now to stop the bulge!

samuri
    Free Member

heh! How long have you got?

I think my favourites are:-
    Snapped the non-drive side crank so I pedalled the 15 miles back one one legged.
    Snapped the drive side crank clean off, just scooted home, that one was about twenty miles
    I’ve pushed the bike thirteen miles home after having lots and lots of punctures in both wheels, used up all my spare tubes and patches.

But I guess the best was only about 5 miles when I’d forgotten to take a pump with me, early morning ride, only a short loop so didn;t think it’d be a problem. As I’m riding along this path, a girl comes running the other way. I spend too long looking at her and ride into a tree. Punctured. I figured the push home was suitable punishment. ;.-)

hels
    Free Member

Only once. Road bike, on my own, no phone, stupid pump no worky. Walked for miles. Loosened all the cleats on my shoes walking, so when I did get to a bike shop to get sorted then set out again, splatted on the road at the first traffic lights. Fun day…

Klunk
    Free Member

pedaled home 5 miles 1 leggedly when the non drive side gxp crank fell off, nice benefit of spds.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Came close to being rescued when winter hiking in the highlands. We got exhausted and a bit stuck up on a ridge in a blizzard. The choices were to hunker down in a snowdrift or climb over another summit and make a “safe” descent. We crawled on up, virtually blind in the snow, crossed our fingers we’d turned off at the right place, and got back to the valley without incident. If we’d hunkered down, it might have been rescue time. Conditions were really quite challenging. Happy days.

thomthumb
    Free Member

walked home more times than i care to remember when i rode trials. inch long pinch flats don’t repair well.

rode 5+ miles on a fixed mtb with a flat when i realised it was a bolt up wheel and i had no spanner 😯 eventually got it off with the pedal spanner on an alien multi tool.

snapped my chain – my mates pushed me back too town.

mud forced the rr mech through the wheel. smashed the mech & hanger. shortened the chain and singlespeeded it. rode for 15 miles with a too high gear ratio that would alternately ride up and get jammed or ride down into a higher gear (sometimes was like cvt) then get slack and fall off. took around 4 hours.

peachos
    Free Member

i’ve been towed back about 5 miles after planting my rear mech in the wheel.

also one bitterly cold ride i was suffering with frozen pawls in my freehub which meant as much as i pedalled i didn’t go anywhere. option was to wait for the spring to arrive. option 2 was to consume the contents of my camelbak in one go and pi$$ on the freehub. this worked, but as pi$$ also freezes it was only a temporary fix. luckily the 3L of water i had meant that i was pi$$ing plenty…enough times to get me to the top of rooley moor rd where i could coast down to where my parents lived for a brew/thaw/more pi$$ing.

RustySpanner

Ms Spanner blacked out and fell over 150 feet whilst climbing in Scotland many years ago.

She got away with severe cuts, didn’t break a bone.
    Still moans that she can’t remember the helicopter ride.

float
    Free Member

busted mech hanger. had to scoot back about 7 miles.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Loads of times…admittedly I’d have to be near to death before I ever asked anyone for help.
    If its just an inconveience it’s bad enough already without ruining someone elses day aswell.
    Best so far is 2 hour walk/ride with a dislocated shoulder (it pops in and out a lot).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ever not been rescued?’ is closed to new replies.