Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Ever had a tyre 'lost it's shape'?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spesh storm control, burped it on friday night, and it looked as if it had just not seated down in onto the rim/bead properly, so I put some air in it and finished the ride.

no amount of taking on and off the rim can get it to spin true, looking at the tyre spinning, you’d think there is a huge buckle in the wheel, but the wheel is spot on?.

I can only think the thing has lost it’s shape, maybe the kevlar/whatever the intrior is made of has split inside or something.

Time for a new tyre anyway.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it’s not seated properly…try soapy water.

mainmonkeyking
    Free Member

I’ve found that my bontrage mud-x tyres stopped sealing properly after having re-mounted / unmounted them a number of times (some days muddy, other not so). So i think tyres can loose their shape. I have to run mine with tubes now…

honourablegeorge

Have had it happen with Conti RQ 2,4s – deformed so badly I thought my wheel was buckled, wheel couldn’t spin in the frame. Took it in to be trued, turned ot the wheel was perfect. Numerous attempts to reseat the tyre (even on different wheels) but no luck, it had just deformed massively.

Continental were no help either when contacted.

fadda

I have mud-x’s that don’t feel “round” when on a smooth surface (i.e. tarmac)

So I just stay off the tarmac…

jedi

i had a 2.2 rq do that.

scaredypants

I wonder which comes first, the lump or the burp

Had a nobby nick that was “a bit” misshapen when 1st put on – did then blow off the rim overnight (at about 30 psi) and I got rid of it

PJay
    Free Member

Tyres can lose their shape. I had a run of Intense System 3s that did this (apparently a recognised flaw in early versions). The System 3s would bulge, producing a high spot and the tred would deform. I think that it was down to threads in the carcass snapping. Years back I also had another tyre do something similar although I can’t remember what make that was.

I’ve had it on two Continental Race Kings which ended up looking a bit like PJay’s picture above.
    Both were probably caused by rock strikes damaging the threads inside without puncturing the rubber.

milky1980
    Free Member

It’s caused by the internal structure failing (cords/kevlar/whatever). Change the tyre before it gives up completely.

boxfish
    Free Member

Have got a pair of Racing Ralphs that have deformed slightly after only a few weeks. As with the above, I thought the wheels had both gone out of true but a quick check showed it was the tyres.

Toasty

All my Specialized tyres lost their shape and would never seat properly after a couple of tyre swaps, curiously never really suffered it with any other brand. To their credit, they were normally wide/light/tubeless-ready for their weight, I guess it has to give somewhere.

verses

I have a Kenda Nevegal that developed a buckle.

After I’d removed it you could see where the stitching along the bead had frayed and come undone.

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 high rollers that make my wheel look buckled but it’s just the centre of the tyre tread is a bit wonky, not sure why. It isn’t as bad as the above pic and they both still ride fine!

Phil_H

I had a kenda nevegal develop a bulge so bad it was rubbing the chain stay on my hard tail then it went bang half way round a lap at mayhem.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Also some Contis here – Edge protections.

sugdenr
    Free Member

WTB Stout (run tubeless) burped and I rode home underinflated, never reseated properly and finally literally exploded off the rim on a ride in Swinley last week. Sounded like a shotgun going off and I half expected the bizzies to turn up. Latex absolutely everywhere.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cool, glad its not just me. Defo seated properly, time for a new one, cheers.

jameso

One of my purgatory 2.2 2bliss did this after maybe 15% of the tread wear level of use, no sidewall damage etc. I checked it over and found the bead threads were moving inside the casing and it caused a buckle. They only shifted slightly but it was enough to cause an obvious wobble. Returned and swapped. The others have been fine, great tyres.

GHill

Had something similar happen on a High Roller, on closer inspection it seemed like there was some sort of de-lamination between layers going on.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Ever had a tyre 'lost it's shape'?’ is closed to new replies.