Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 272 total)
  • Even moderately expensive cars..how do people afford them?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

My wife wants to trade her 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee as hers is getting “old”

I think I’d explode if my wife wanted a car like that let alone change it that often! TBH I could afford these sorts of cars but, like many here, don’t get the appeal at all – far rather have a nice house and indeed maybe save to get a holiday home in France when I’m older.

bigblackshed

I run a 12 year old Golf. 110k. Worth nothing. Bought it for £5500 8 years ago. Services and replaced wearing parts where needed. I’ve added up the receipts over ownership, yes I’ve kept them all, just shy of £1800.

Bro-in-law has a new Polo on finance. 7 years ago he bought a basic Polo on HP. End of the HP he extended his mortgage to pay off the balance. 3 years ago traded it in against a Polo on 3 years upgrade / give it back / pay the balance. It was worth £4k ish. Dealer gave him £3k. £130 per month for 3 years and has now upgraded to a new basic one.

So when he finishes this 3 year deal he will have paid £10k for the original car, £4.5k for the last car, and £5k for this one. And still won’t own a car!

Madness.

ransos
    Free Member

Cars and the topic of cars seem to spike a lot of jealousy and envy, this thread is ripe with it!

If I wanted a flashier car, I would buy one.

kimbers

agree with ransos

as this thread has shown any one could go out and get a flash motor on finance

as a (condescending) stw cyclist I just feel sorry for people who need to advertise their awesomeness by spunking a load of money on a motor

soul2soul
    Free Member

friend had a 10 yr old car sunroof leaked in a bit when it rained, they had no money for a new car. i suggested just sealing up the sunroof and using the windows when hot. No i like the sunroof open, fair enough. gets a small payout from ex partner about half goes on an 11 plate car (with no sunroof) as they deserved a new car as they had been driving a car that rained in. When asked if they had looked at spendingless of their money on say an 08 car incase they need money over the next few years. Did not want a car that lots of people may have driven. Now i don’t get this logic but some people obviously do and it makes them happy, especially if everyone comments on their nice new car

molgrips
    Free Member

Why do you think people only buy flash cars to show off? They are quite nice things to drive.

clubber
    Free Member

If I wanted a flashier car, I would buy one.

And that’s the thing. As I mentioned before, some/many people just can’t get their heads around that – eg that you drive a ‘worse’ car than you could – because they’re so conditioned to believe that the car they drive somehow reflects on them.

ransos
    Free Member

as a (condescending) stw cyclist I just feel sorry for people who need to advertise their awesomeness by spunking a load of money on a motor

Yeah, An expensive bike is hardly the same thing, given you can buy one for the cost of a really cheap s/h car, and how few people would notice it’s any different to a Halfords BSO.

binners

I don’t think anyone’s really saying that Mollster. I’m sure they are nice to drive. I would say that in a lot of cases though, that may not be the primary motivation for the ownership. Hence the profusion of private number plates on flash cars(have you ever seen a RR wihout a private plate?)

And lets be honest… private number plates are the most tragic sign of desperate insecurity, and some pathetic need for validation ever IMHO

Look! Look everyone!!!! My cars got my name on it! Cool eh? Well its not really my name. If you read the 3 as an E, and the 6 as a G, then it sort of is…..

amedias
    Free Member

Cars and the topic of cars seem to spike a lot of jealousy and envy, this thread is ripe with it!

But most of the griping is not about ‘posh’ cars or toys for track use and enjoyment is it? it’s about the madness of spending upwards of £15k on a boring or bottom of the range but NEW car, at least that’s how I’m reading it.

If economy (both running and purchase costs) and reliability are your priorities then you are better served with a decent second hand car.

If fun is your priority then again, you’re arguably better served with a second hand but better car than you could buy new.

It’s the large sums of money on middle or bottom specced dullmobiles that I can’t understand, jealousy doesn’t come into it at all, I simply can’t get my head around the person with £10 – 15k at their disposal (however it may be financed, cash, loan etc.) and goes “you know what I want? I want a brand new mid-range fiesta!”

footflaps

I did read somewhere that something like 40% of BMWs are sold without a test drive – which suggests they’re not buying them for the ride quality…

Edukator
    Free Member

Buy a new car with a service contract and you know you’ll have nothing to buy except tyres for up to five years with no arguing about how much of the bill for a new particle filter/turbo/GRC valve/injection pump/management box/ABS box you pay or the manufacturer pays. There a no big services looming on the horizon and you know you’ve got all of the life of the vehicle.

If you look at the average life of a car in years (8years and three months in France) or kms (150 000km – 250 000km is typical) then some second-hand cars are great value (big executive things) and some are lousy (popular family runabouts and Vitos/T4s). A friend bought a second-hand Westphalia Vito for half the original cost but at an age and kms I considered “end of life”. It’s off the road again at present while he hunts around the breakers for an injection pump.

lodious
    Free Member

It’s interesting the number of posters that, while stating they can’t understand why people have ‘status’ cars use the opportunity imply their ‘status’ by another medium.

tonyg2003

I’m with Molgrips here. I buy nice cars since I really like driving. Simple really.

br
    Free Member

I think I’d explode if my wife wanted a car like that let alone change it that often! TBH I could afford these sorts of cars but, like many here, don’t get the appeal at all – far rather have a nice house and indeed maybe save to get a holiday home in France when I’m older.

Doesn’t the little woman get a say?

🙄

Legoman
    Free Member

OK put it this way. If your car is your toy, then splurge as much as you like on it, but if it is for transport don’t spend a cent more than necessary on it.

I do about 25k miles a year, mostly business. Based on your logic I should be doing it in a 15 year old Mondeo with it’s 15 year old safety features (or lack of), driver comfort (of lack of), emissions control (or lack…. think I’ve made my point)

Why is it so hard to understand that some people enjoy driving, and as such want a nice car to do it in. That doesn’t make it a toy, it’s still a tool to do a job, but why not enjoy it too?

molgrips
    Free Member

I would definitely buy a nice car if I had tons of money. As I don’t, I’ll keep my Passat until either it dies or I make tons of money. It’s pretty comfortable, to be honest, and I like it.

mudshark
    Free Member

Good guess – she’s 5’2″. She has little desire to waste money on an SUV for school runs/shopping.

kimbers

5 year old safety features (or lack of), driver comfort (of lack of), emissions control (or lack….

has safety really come on that far? still got airbags and abs back then
    have car seats got more comfy? aircon can be recharged
    emissions- 15 years of exhuast vs the environmental footprint of a tonne of metal and plastic- im not sure which is more

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And that’s the thing. As I mentioned before, some/many people just can’t get their heads around that – eg that you drive a ‘worse’ car than you could – because they’re so conditioned to believe that the car they drive somehow reflects on them.

And that’s the thing. Some/many people just can’t get their heads around that the car they drive somehow reflects on them.

Would you wear a potato sack to a job interview?

Edukator
    Free Member

Madame always has the last word (so my current car is not a Citroën C6). Our current car is the one she spotted at the dealers, went and sat in, and the spent the next nine months pointing out whenever we saw one. I eventually got the message so we test drove one, she loved it and we ordered one.

kimbers

picking the kids up from school ? a job interview

clubber
    Free Member

But I don’t wear my car to an interview…

I do actually understand why salespeople often feel the need for a decent car – unfortunately for many of the people they’re selling to, they’ll be judged negatively if they don’t which can impact on their work performance – for me, that’s a different thing.

amedias
    Free Member

5 year old safety features (or lack of), driver comfort (of lack of), emissions control (or lack….

has safety really come on that far? still got airbags and abs back then
    have car seats got more comfy? aircon can be recharged
    emissions- 15 years of exhuast vs the environmental footprint of a tonne of metal and plastic- im not sure which is more

indeed, my 21 year old wagon actually has more comfy seats than my newer (13 years old) one, and can’t say the brand new pool cars at work are any better really.

and there’s plenty of new cars that have worse emissions than some older ones, and that’s before you include the environmental footprint of production and destruction.

mudshark
    Free Member

Some/many people just can’t get their heads around that the car they drive somehow reflects on them.

Yeah those SUV drivers really seem not to realise how many people just think they’re a little pathetic.

Ha ha!

amedias
    Free Member

Some/many people just can’t get their heads around that the car they drive somehow reflects on them.

doesn’t it just say ‘look at me, I place value on an outward display of pseudo wealth?’ 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

doesn’t it just say ‘look at me, I place value on an outward display of pseudo wealth?’

Indeed, I have the exact same oppinion of every spotless 4×4 I see, and as this thread demopnstrates I’m not alone. But as these new car buyers must be in proportion with the old car buyers it’s safe to assume that enough people in the world feel differently about it.

Adding up my spending on cycling/bikes it’s probably more than most of these monthly PCP plans being touted! So who am I to judge someone spending that oney on something arguably more justifiable than push bikes!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I drop Jnr FD off at private school in the morning. The car park is full of Range Rover Evoques, Range Rovers, Audi 4 x4 etc. Pretty much all I am sure on lease. IMO you would be stupid to buy when you can lease. Helps with cash flow too.

Then there are a few of us that turn up in ‘normal cars’ ie me in a Toyota Aygo, others in battered 20 yr old cars.

I have tried to work out if its a status thing or not, and currently I am undecided. It does go through phases, and it would appear you have to have the right 4×4, but then that extends to carrying the right hand bag (if your female), and wearing the latest clothes etc etc. The whole dropping the kids off at school is a fashion statement / excercise.

I dont think its an exercise in ‘I have more money than you snobbery’, as it is quite clear they are loaded and can afford what ever they like (so why shouldnt they) more the fact that they dont work, and therefore have no goals/ambition/any thing to occupy them, so to make life interesting they get the latest fashion statements.

If you dont like cars that fair enough, buy a heap of sh!t I like cars, and buy ones that I can afford, as my wife and I have worked harder over the last few years we can now afford nicer cars (although I have to say its questionable these days what more you get from the likes of BM and Merc that you cant get in a Ford). As I said the next car I am looking at will hopefully be a 2nd hand Porsche. Nothing to do with status etc, just because its about the best ‘affordable’ sports car out there and I want one 🙂

penny1971
    Free Member

It’s got to be company cars. Who’d spend that kind of money?? I know I certainly wouldn’t.

tonyg2003

I like the attitude of a guy that I work with a lot – met with him yesterday afternoon. He drives day to day in a 57 plate Mondeo estate (not even top spec I think). Then when he wants a nice drive he gets out his Ferrari FF (paid for in cash). There is a man not interested in status but driving.

LenHankie

I think if you are a real car lover you get just as much, if not more, enjoyment from old and perhaps relatively cheap cars as from new ones. I count myself as a car lover, I enjoy cleaning and tinkering with them just as much as driving them and can get pleasure from driving even the most basic cars.

It’s very rare for me ever to have owned anything newer than 10yrs old and the one time I did get a brand new company car (A3 TDI) I ended up giving it back after 6 months and taking the cash instead, as it bored me to tears. My wife finds it a little odd that I actually quite like cars to go wrong occasionally as I can have the fun of fixing them.

If I could justify spending a large sum ( Say £15k plus) on a car then it would definitely be a classic. A) It’s more likely to keep it’s value or even appreciate and B) I can’t say I’m ever really impressed by someone driving a new flash car as all it says is ‘I have disposable income/ a company car allowance’ rather than ‘I have great taste and really understand and appreciate cars.’

TiRed

I have tried to work out if its a status thing or not

Been there – it’s the family in the 25 year old Mercedes 300E estate that have the real status and wealth. There is always one in every private school car park. 🙂

New money will arrive in new cars – normally 4x4s. Middle class professionals in middle cars that show the sacrifice they are making for their kids education. Old money in old cars as they don’t see the need to update the one they bought as there is nothing wrong with it.

LenHankie

TiRed – Member
    I have tried to work out if its a status thing or not
    Been there – it’s the family in the 25 year old Mercedes 300E estate that have the real status and wealth. There is always one in every private school car park.

New money will arrive in new cars – normally 4x4s. Middle class professionals in middle cars that show the sacrifice they are making for their kids education. Old money in old cars as they don’t see the need to update the one they bought as there is nothing wrong with it.

Yep, exactly this.

simmy
    Free Member

Well a lottery win would make me buy a nice car but, having driven loads of cars over the years along with vans through different jobs, they all do the same thing ie A to B

I’ve got a 2 year old Fiesta on lease for work, all servicing, tyres paid for, back up of another car if this goes wrong big time 30k per year mileage allowance, £276 per month.

For me that back up is essential so I wouldn’t buy a car as the lease is cheaper but, if I didn’t have the Driving School, I’d just have a cheap banger.

Spend more on bikes these days, my bike is worth double the amount of my old banger that I use for the bikes and dogs.

epicyclo

Legoman – Member
    I do about 25k miles a year, mostly business. Based on your logic I should be doing it in a 15 year old Mondeo with it’s 15 year old safety features (or lack of), driver comfort (of lack of), emissions control (or lack…. think I’ve made my point)…

No, based on my logic you would buy the tool for the job. Which in your case is a comfortable car, and if it was necessary to impress clients, then it would be a “prestige” brand.

freeagent
    Free Member

I love driving, and If I could justify/afford something nicer than my 1-Series BMW Diesel company car then I would be down the Audi dealers looking for something with an ‘RS’ badge in a heartbeat.

However this thread has made me laugh – all these people insisting spending more than a grand on a car is a waste, but would be quite happy to go and splash £5k on a bike, which, based on their ability, will offer nothing that a £1k bike wouldn’t provide.

Same with watches – I’ve seen several threads on here with people showing off their bling watches – does a £3k watch tell the time any better than a £50 Timex?

Same with coffee machines – all they do is boil water, and push it though a little tray of coffee grindings…. no need to spend a fortune….

Each to their own I s’pose – I drive a nice car because I love driving and do a lot of miles – I live in a nice area because I’m a wannabe middle class snob who doesn’t want to live next door to total trash (been there done that) and want to bring my kids up somewhere nice.

However, I’ve ‘only’ got an entry level Boardman mountain bike (oh the shame) because while I love cycling, I’m crap at it, and can’t justify anything better…

ransos
    Free Member

However this thread has made me laugh – all these people insisting spending more than a grand on a car is a waste, but would be quite happy to go and splash £5k on a bike, which, based on their ability, will offer nothing that a £1k bike wouldn’t provide.

I haven’t read every post, but I don’t recall anyone saying that. Perhaps you could point it out to me?

xiphon
    Free Member

My wife’s cousin has a fear of owning a car older than 3 years – as she considers them “unreliable”. Er….. what?

Interestingly, my in-laws have always purchased a “2-3 year old” car on finance from dealers, and as a result, to my wife the concept of bangernomics (when you’re 19, and can only afford a mk3 Fiesta) is absurd. She would rather be tied into a finance package for X years, then spend £500 on an older car. Both of which have zero warranty (or not worth the paper), and could require garage bills. Her parents have zero mechanical knowledge, and even ask me to change numberplate bulbs…

My folks on the other hand have always saved up, and bought their cars outright – and kept them for 15+ years. To me, the thought of a being tied to a finance package for a car is crazy… My Father is a very practical person, partly as he needed to learn – garages were too expensive when he was younger.

It would be interesting to know, how many of those who take the finance packages have parents who also went down that route?

If you’re a competent mechanic, would you still choose finance on a more modern car?

cat69uk
    Free Member

Must admit, I’ve done PCP on the the last 4 cars, mainly for the comfort factor of reliability etc…My wife’s Polo agreement ends October, and was going to just get a similar vehicle at the same monthly cost, £226. Reading this, no idea what to do now! She will not want a shonker, does not even like the Polo as it is for old people 🙂

Kryton57

I’ve just done a comfy 4 hour journey in air conditioned, cruise controlled, leather coated comfort in my 11yo car. . I felt quite smug as I went past others realising I don’t need to pay 100’s a month to do so. 31mpg average and 231bhp at the rear wheels what’s not to like?

I’m starting to believe ill never bother paying much for a replacement if I had to.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 272 total)

The topic ‘Even moderately expensive cars..how do people afford them?’ is closed to new replies.