Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Etrex 20 Freezing with OS map
  • fatbobb
    Free Member

I loaded a GB OS map onto my Etrex 20 SD card but now it has trouble zooming in and out and generally ‘keeping up’ with where I am – slow to load pages etc.
    Anyone else experienced this? Should I factory reset and update everything? Works fine with the talky toaster map on the card…

I’ve searched everywhere for an answer, so you lot are my last resort… help!

scotroutes

You’ll likely find it’s better/worse at certain zoom levels. I think it’s a feature of the way that OS Maps are rendered. Is it just very slow or actually freezing? I’ve seen the former with my old Dakota.

fatbobb
    Free Member

Very slow and sometimes freezes to a black screen when zooming out. To get it clear I need to take out the batteries and put them back in again.

siwhite
    Free Member

Old etrex I assume, not the newer Touch?

Yup, I had the same with an older etrex which prompted me to sell it and buy a Touch, which is far superior in every respect – and scrolls very nicely.

The swap only cost about £25 once I’d popped the old one on eBay…

fatbobb
    Free Member

Yup, a couple of years old now. I may just reset everything to see if that works – it couldn’t make it any worse. Famous last words.

Marko

Is this the first time you’ve ever used the OS card?

I thought you needed a Etrex 30 to use the full UK 1:50 OS maps – that’s why I bought the 30 and not the 20. (I could well be wrong, but see the thread below).

On my ’30’ if you move too fast and you’re zoomed in close, it takes a while to catch up. Never had to do a re-boot though.
    Hth
    Marko

Etrex thread

fatbobb
    Free Member

Yes it is – the sd card is nearly full too. I wonder if that contributes to the slug like performance.

tillydog
    Free Member

Have you got any other maps enabled, or just the OS map?

fatbobb
    Free Member

No, just the OS map is enabled. The other two on there are disabled.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Etrex 20 Freezing with OS map’ is closed to new replies.