Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Garmin etrex20x
  • houndlegs
    Free Member

Been looking at these online as a possible replacement for my Garmin Edge Touring, and I have a few questions I’m hoping someone can answer for me please.
    1 Can I plot a route on RidewithGPS (or suchlike ) and upload as a gpx/tcx to follow, like my Touring?
    2 Can I download my ride data to RidewithGPS?
    If anyone has one of these, are they any good, or are they niggly things like my Touring is turning into.

Ta.

devash
    Free Member

I have the old eTrex 20 and I love it. The X has a slightly higher resolution screen but apart from that they are identical.

To answer your questions;

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

The only downside to the device is that the processor is somewhat underpowered, so manipulating maps and setting tracks on the device itself can be slow. If you set everything up before the ride via the Garmin Basecamp software or RidewithGPS then its not an issue though.

You can get some fantastic maps for free online which I find are faster than the Garmin ones.

If the eTrex 30 isn’t that much more expensive then I’d get one of those as it has a couple of extra features (heart rate monitor compatible, barometer, proper digital compass).

Marko

If the eTrex 30 isn’t that much more expensive then I’d get one of those as it has a couple of extra features (heart rate monitor compatible, barometer, proper digital compass).

And an SD card slot that will let you have full OS mapping.

Avoid Basecamp though – utter pile of poo.

Marko

houndlegs
    Free Member

The 20 has a card slot as well,and I don’t think I’d have much call for the extra bits the 30 has.
    Another thing, on the Garmin website where it describes about the turn by turn directions. it says about optional detailed maps. Are the maps supplied not very complete then? would they not have little country lanes and the like on them?
    Devash, when you mention free mapping, is that Open Street mapping?

jjojjas
    Free Member

I use an etrex20 and you can do all you need with it. Google talkytoaster for free maps. I think they are better than the garmin ones personally.

CraigW
    Free Member

It comes preloaded with the Garmin TopoActive maps, covering Western Europe. These are based on OpenStreetMap, plus have added hill shading data I think.
    So it should be detailed enough for most things. ie they include just about all roads, and loads of paths etc. They will work for autorouting, to give turn by turn directions.

You can add other maps based on OpenStreetMap if you want. They may have different styles, so might look nicer etc. TalkToaster is one option. Or this website is good, it has a bicycle style: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

whisky711
    Free Member

Cotswold Outdoor are doing the Etrex 20/30x bundled with free OS mapping (3000 sqm – enough for all of the peaks and a bit of wherever else you fancy). I’ve found the preloaded Garmin map just fine, now it’s based on OSM. The OS maps are better suited for walking, a little too much detail while on the bike.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/garmin-etrex-20x-gps-birdseye-select-e3112194?id_colour=180

devash
    Free Member

Yeah, the 20 has a card slot. Its the 10 that doesn’t.

Free custom Open Street maps for Garmin can be made here http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

Talk Toaster here https://talkytoaster.co.uk/maps/

OpenMTB Maps here https://openmtbmap.org

Used all three although I prefer Open Street Maps lite (the first link). Seems to run a lot faster than the others.

I downloaded a trial version of the 25k OS Maps and found it very detailed but slow. I’ve got a load of paper OS maps anyway so not so much of a dealbreaker.

Marko

3000 sqm – enough for all of the peaks and a bit of wherever else you fancy

Mmmm . . . First comment on the Cotswold review suggests the free voucher area covers a small area. I know when I bought mine and used the voucher I got about a square Km (at 1:25)

The OS maps are better suited for walking, a little too much detail while on the bike.

Eh? No such thing as too much detail and how do you find the BWs and the bandit runs?

Marko

trail_rat
    Free Member

Os maps are fine for on a bike, imo its the osm mapping that has too much detail in urban/well riden areas, and not enough detail in remote areas.

timba
    Free Member

If the niggly bits are developing through faults then you could do an exchange with Garmin UK, particularly if the Touring is in warranty. They do a fixed price for out of warranty units that are rebuilt to factory standards, new case to guarantee waterproofing, etc. Etrex 20/30 around £70 (as a guide to price only – I don’t know/doubt that you can swap to another type), mine was back within a week
    Tel: 0808 238 0000 or 0370 850 1242

trademark
    Free Member

Timba, does your Etrex 20 fasten securely to your bars?
    I need a unit for both walking and cycling but I’m not too impressed with the 810 or 1000.

timba
    Free Member

Timba, does your Etrex 20 fasten securely to your bars?

It does, however IME the Garmin mount (part 010-11023-00) to Etrex “joint” loosens considerably with time and use. The new case on the exchange unit put that right and it’s secure for now
    I always use a lanyard looped around the handlebars (not long enough to reach the front wheel)

Pickers

Watching with interest.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

and me 🙂

trademark
    Free Member

Thanks timba, useful tip.

houndlegs
    Free Member

timba,I’ll keep that in mind thanks. The niggly bits with my touring seem to have been introduced with a software update, so I’ve got a few things to try first, I’m off for a ride a bit later to test the first thing out.
    Someone also told me how to roll back the Touring software (thanks CraigW ),so I’ll try that as well.
    I hope I can get it back to how it was, when it was working how it should it was great. I’m hoping I just need to find out which software version was good for me.
    I’m exploring my options at the moment.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Garmin etrex20x’ is closed to new replies.