Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • e*thirteen trs plus wheelset any good ? riders veiws
  • jimr80
    Free Member

I’m looking to get a new set of wheels and have been looking at e*thirteen trs plus wheels. Now I know they seemed to have problems with the rear hubs a while ago. has this been solved ? Also how is the general build quality of these wheels.
    What else is available with a similar rim width and bombproof hubs and rims aimed mainly at trail use plus uplift days. Hope pro4 + insert rim of choice.

Goldigger
    Free Member

+ wheels?
    Hope pro 4/DT Swiss XM551..
    Got mine from slam69 for less than £500 (hope pro 4 Fatsno)

Assuming the e*thirteen plus wheels on CRC is what you’ve been looking at, 23.4mm internal is to narrow for plus tyres..

jimr80
    Free Member

I’m looking at the 29mm rim width if that helps and running 2.5 width 650b tyres.
    So not looking at running plus size tyres.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Just got a new pair of DT EX511 on pro 4’s which would meet all your requirements for width and toughness
    They actually came up slightly lighter than the WTB Freq 23ID rims I took off

luke0912
    Free Member

I had a set of trs plus wheels had no issues with the hub but I have snapped countless spokes in the rear wheel and constantly needed retruing and tentioning. Given up in the end and got new wheels

submarined
    Free Member

If they’re anything like any of the other e13 products I’ve got, they’ll be complete dogshit.

blahblahblah
    Free Member

I’ve used a pair for 3 years. So they do work but they aren’t the best wheels I’ve used by a margin.

The internals of the rear hub failed after about 3 months. I got a free rebuild kit from Silverfish and rebuilt it and greased it up well. I’ve been through 3 sets of bearings on the rear and 2 sets on the front. The bearings have lasted an average but not outstanding amount of time.

After the first year the spokes started snapping (they are very narrow gauge sapim jobs). I respoked them and they have been fine since.

In their favor, they are quite light and stiff but you definitely need to do stuff to keep them going.

So if you get the OEM (like me) then I wouldn’t panic but I wouldn’t actively attempt to go and buy a pair – especially since the price used to be very high.

I’d go for a Stans S1 arch of flow wheelset for vfm or a custom hope build.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

no no no no no no no……endless problems with my rear wheel. As mentioned above. Pawl springs all broke leaving me with intermittent pedalling. E13 sent out a new batch of springs – since then (about a year ago) springs have been fine. Spokes kept braking – pretty much one per ride. Sent it back to Germany for them to fix – which they did. One summer of riding and now spokes are starting to break again! If you swapped them out for stronger spokes maybe they would be ok. Bearings seem to wear fast. If I was you I would go for something else. For the price there are much better sets around. Front has been fine though. Good luck. the new ones might have addressed the issues above however. Mine are late 2015.

gwurk
    Free Member

I have a set of 2017 TRS+ wheels complete with exo HR2s.
    only ridden for 1 week.
    They’re smooth, light, stiff and seem pretty strong/durable.
    I just prefer 26″
    Yours if you want them. @jimr80

ignore comments from folk with problematic older versions. These are 2017 model.
    E13 customer service is great BTW.
    Just received a replacement chainguide from them for free

philstone

The rims themselves are fantastic. I’ve been running 2 sets on Hope Pro 2 Evos and they’ve take an obscene amount of abuse. Finally killed a rim after trying to jump up a set of stairs at speed and getting it wrong. According to those with me they doubt anything would’ve survived. Wasn’t a catastrophic failure as I still managed to ride for another hour on the rim and it didn’t go flat, was a bit bumpy through due to the huge flat spot!
    Flat Rim..
    Flat rim!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

E13 customer service is great BTW

Lol!

I’ve 2 riding buddies that waited over 90 days for replacement rear wheels after the free hubs went within a few months of purchase.

gwurk
    Free Member

Nice third hand anecdote.

Replacement parts took 3 days from initial email to postie handing over the package.
    Previously I dealt with E13 direct in the US and had the parts in less than a week.

I’m not an E13 fan boy. Not by a long way. Simply sharing my actual experience.

Simwit

I’ve got a set that came with a YT bike. The rear went back for warranty 3 weeks ago as the rear axle snapped, no word on how long that is going to take as yet but until that happened they seemed fine. I’ve just bought a Halo Vapour 35 as a replacement, 30mm internal width so should suit the OP

submarined
    Free Member

Slightly O/T, but to the people that had great customer service – Where did you buy them from, and who did you deal with for warranty?

Like many people, my E13 parts came with a YT bike. However, I have an issue with one of the parts and I’m trying to figure out how best to deal with it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nice third hand anecdote.

Thanks.

Would only ever be third hand, as I’d rather buy wheels that aren’t made of cheese. :mrgreen:

jimr80
    Free Member

So maybe i’ll give the e13 a miss.
    The DT511 look a good option on pro 4’s. Anyone running Hope 35rw wheels? Hope suggest they can be used for 2.3 to 2.5 width tyres.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of the WTB i35 Asyms on pro4 and they’ve been fine for me, totally troublefree. Built up by JRA.

Obviously not e*13 but since other options are being mentioned…

I’m running them with 2.8’s.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

Like many people, my E13 parts came with a YT bike. However, I have an issue with one of the parts and I’m trying to figure out how best to deal with it.

My wheels came on my YT. I contacted them and they told me to just speak to E13 direct. E13 were fine to deal with. A bit slow but got there in the end.

gwurk
    Free Member

Where did you buy them from, and who did you deal with for warranty?

Bought online.
    Dealt directly with Florian from E13 by Email.

https://thehiveglobal.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

or

support.eu@bythehive.com

submarined
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks guys, sorry for the hijack…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve serviced some (E13s) for a mate and the hubs weren’t very good.

EX511 on Hope Pro4 is what you want.

iian
    Free Member

A lot of people had bother with E13 wheels that came on earlier Capras. If you’re buying new, don’t worry about these, since been fixed.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Stumbled across this thread – how do you know they have been fixed? Just about to get a bike with these wheels and having no problems with DT Swiss wheels I’m not keen on swapping to dog shit hubs

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘e*thirteen trs plus wheelset any good ? riders veiws’ is closed to new replies.