Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Err and the point is?
  • binners

the words ‘bell’ and ‘end’ spring immediately to mind

Jamie
    Free Member

Err and the point is?

…has made him the first person to ever ski down a moving iceberg.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Because he could?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why not? No harm done and its something different to do.
    Does there have to be a point to everything?
    Do all your rides start where they began i.e. a big circle? Why not just stay in the same place and not move for 4 hours?

binners

The thing is though bigyin, I like going out riding. The Belmont descent is my favourite local downhill.

But if someone said “Hey Binners. We’ve taken the first 100 yards of the Belmont descent, not the rest, just the first 100 yards, and we’ve floated it out to sea. Quite a way out to sea, as it happens. It’ll take us half a day to get to it by boat, then you’ll have to climb up it with your bike on your back – but… do you fancy it?”

Nah – I think I’ll go to the pub instead actually

nickf
    Free Member

He’s, like, TOTally KRRaazy. Or a bit of a knob. Either way, there’s nothing clever about skiing down a small bit of snow.

It’s a bit like the bloke who used to do Mayhem with an ironing board on his back. Words can’t decribe how cringeworthy I find this sort of “look at me!! see how wacky I am!!!” activity. What, you’re so extreme that normal skiing or cycing isn’t enough, you have to do it with a laptop on your head, or a life-sized replica of Ghandi strapped to your knees.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Binners you are a dreamkiller.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Must be a really slow news day.

Andrew, from Park City, Utah, conquered the iceberg as it floated through the Antarctica Peninsula 1000 miles south of Argentina two years ago.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1346734/Now-thats-piste-Daredevil-skier-ski-floating-iceberg.html#ixzz1AvMEWhZQ

And thats a bit clever from the mail getting that link in with a simple cut and paste that didn’t include it. So clever I have chosen to leave it in.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wasn’t there someone who ski’d down pistes while ironing? I’d have enjoyed cutting that twunt up.

nedrapier

On the other hand, total legend ski mountaineer Andrew Maclean was in Antarctica pioneering some extremely committing routes, and did a bit of photogenic pissing about while he was there.

Somehow, the photogenic pissing about was more “news”worthy.

nickf
    Free Member

Wasn’t there someone who ski’d down pistes while ironing? I’d have enjoyed cutting that twunt up

And I thought it was just me that was a grumpy sod. Cynic-al, I salute your misanthropy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bout as much point as riding around in a circle for 4 hours in the rain and mud. Or climbing a big sheer cliff. Or being towed around the sea by a kite.

Each to his own.

Either way, there’s nothing clever about skiing down a small bit of snow.

Does there have to be something clever about it? Why do you need to give a crap? There is no evidence that he’s being a nob – he is just having a laugh. More nobs on this thread than in that article.

I’ve had loads of people imagine I am trying to prove I’m better than everyone else by riding my bike, or by rock climbing, even by not drinking would you believe! When in reality it’s them that has the issue not me.

binners

Sounds to me like Molgrips has just called everyone a bunch of gay nobbers, and challenged everyone to a drinking competition.

RIGHT! OUTSIDE!!! NOW!!!!

Jamie
    Free Member

RIGHT! OUTSIDE!!! NOW!!!!

Can we do it on a Iceberg?

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol at the thought of STWers storming out of the houses or offices in a rage, standing outside blinking in the rain and wondering where people are…

nedrapier

binners, nickf: some perspective for you:

http://www.sierradescents.com/skiing/mclean/the-steep-interview-2.html

It’s like doing that ride, ending up at the pub, and then doing a little drop off into the beer garden just for the hell of it. You’re there anyway, not busy for the next half hour and it might make a nice photo. Why not?

binners

Perspective? Are you mad? To quote david st hubbins: “Too much ****in’ perspective’

I want to skim read snippets of information, taken completely out of context, then issue flippant remarks based on my cursory observations

Perspective indeed? Have you forgotten where you are?

😉

nickf
    Free Member

ned – I entirely take your point, but equally, it’s not like he was skiing and just hopped onto an iceberg which just so happened to be passing, is it?

nedrapier

No, but close.

He was on a boat with his ski gear, sailing through icebergs on his way to (or back from) Antarctica and a 1st ascent/descent in the Vinson Massif (innit blud).

iDave
    Free Member

what he did probably has more ‘point’ than what most of us do on a daily basis

PiknMix
    Free Member

I would love the chance to play about on a iceberg, skiing on it is a bit pointless but then if I had the chance I would.

icebergs are awesome.

nedrapier

Dear Mr Binners

Please accept my apologies.

The Daily Mail, their story and this thread were all thoroughly enjoying themselves without the burden of bothersome perspective and it was an inappropriate and irresponsible for me to spoil the natural flow of scorn and indignation.

Yours sincerely,

Mr N. Rapier

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I would have seen the point if he had a life size replica of Gandhi strapped to his knees.

binners

Cheers Ned. I can relax again now 😉

GlitterGary – What about one of the actual descendants of Ghandi.? Strapped to each knee? That would be even better.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Where was his ironing board that people keep going on about?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Strapped to his knees?

RepacK
    Free Member

Nah – I think I’ll go to the pub instead actually

Lack of imagination perhaps?

So what I say, I bet he had fun doing it..

McHamish
    Free Member

He’s American.

He probably shouted “YEEEAAAAHHH!!!! USA!!!!” when he finished.

His mates probably chanted “U S A….U S A….” while he was doing it.

Jamie
    Free Member

He’s American.

He probably shouted “YEEEAAAAHHH!!!! USA!!!!” when he finished.

His mates probably chanted “U S A….U S A….” while he was doing it.

Yeah. That is probably definitely exactly what happened. Maybe.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I read somewhere that 2/3 of an iceberg is underwater. HTH.

nedrapier

The Hackenthorpe Book of Lies

I read somewhere that 2/3 of an iceberg is underwater

Where did you read that? The Hackenthorpe Book of Lies?

Jamie
    Free Member

2/3? More like 8/9.

binners

Now if he’d have donned a wetsuit and some really heavy weights. And full breathing apparatus and stuff, then he could ski down that little bit above the water, do some, like, some totally stoked triple back-flip shit, then ski down the underwater bit

Now THAT would be worthy of a piece in the Daily Mail. If you can’t bring me stuff of that caliber then can we keep the usual stuff about nasty illegal immigrants eating babies while claiming invalidity benefit and joining unions?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I read somewhere else it’s 1/9th of it above water. It gets more confusing by the minute…..
    I feel an experiment later with icecubes in vodka could be valuable.
    Do you think it makes a difference depending on the temp of the vodka?
    What about the age of the ice-cube?

nickf
    Free Member

Personally I never bother with ice cubes made from anything less than 10,000 year old water. Filtered through unidirectional speaker cables, obviously.

nedrapier

temperature of the vodka, I’d say that has to make a difference. Not sure whether it’s significant.

age of teh ice cube: depends on how it was made, the proportion and distribution of air bubbles, how much it’s sublimated (and from what surfaces) and wheter it’s accumulated frost (and again, whether that’s ll over, or just on the top surfaces)

Given the complexities, I’d say a great deal of research was necessary…

McHamish
    Free Member

I once read a thesis which suggested that approx 11% of an iceberg can be seen from a boat, but roughly 89% can be seen when in a submarine.

I’m not sure what to believe.

TSY, please share the results of your experimentations (I mean the ones related to the iceberg).

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmm… does the submarine have a telescope?

I might move this experiment to the bath. I will use goggles and a snorkle to simulate a submarine.

I’ll drink the vodka.

nickf
    Free Member

TSY, why on earth do you want to stimulate a submarine? Or is it that you were wearing beer goggles and necking down 1/9 of a bottle of vodka at the time (which explains almost any otherwise irrational act)?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Err and the point is?’ is closed to new replies.