Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • ergonomic grips…any good?
  • thomasraelburke
    Free Member

any one used em, using em? do you loose control for comfort?

jonny-m
    Free Member

no i dont think so. ive had 2 sets with and without bar ends. no going back for me.
    on techy xc racing or enduro epics i think there are spot on

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Got Ergon grips on all 3 bikes. Take a wee bit of getting used to, but not much really. Control isn't compromised at all (though if you have small hands it might be) and they make a huge difference in my experience. I used to get quite bad hand pain on the bike; now I don't. Not cheap but pretty effective, I'd say.

These ones.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

sounds good cheers. ill wait n see if anyone has anything bad to say about them but reckon i'll give them a go.

Kahurangi

I use some much cheaper specialized ones that are just as good. When I put standard grips on the SS it felt really wrong. More pressure and a less natural angle as with the ergon ones you and rotate your writs a little more without using fugly bars!

Used the Ergon ones and found them really comfy at first, after a a while the rubber "dipped" and left a sharp corner of metal that dug into the heel of my hand and was not comfy

Also felt like my hands would slip forward on really steep downhills with the flatter profile (never did though)

Gone back to round grips now

ratadog

Ergons on two bikes and find them a lot more comfortable. Other bike came with Brant's Mary bars and the back sweep did the same job for me without the ergons. Also used the Specialized and ?Velo versions. Velo need big hands. Both are better than round grips on straight/riser bars but I prefer the ergons. Only other thing to say is that you are probably better off with the small ergons rather than the large unless you have really huge hands. If in doubt go for the smaller size. I wear an XXL glove and find the smaller size more comfortable.

ampthill

I have an ongoing wrist problem

I find Mary bars spot on, really made a differece

I took the Ergon grips off. I tried these before I changed bars. First I heeked a branch with the stubby bar end thing. Second they seem to stop my hands rotatting round the bar as I changed body position. I found this worst when standing to climb

I'm sure this is all very personal and we all get different mileage

lowey

Try these :-

rootes1

I use ergon on my mtb and Big S version (1/3 of the ergon cost) on my commuting bikes – much more comfortable that round ones

barca
    Free Member

I have the Specialized version on my mountain and knock-about bikes. I love them. I used to get bad aches on my palm below my little finger and ring finger. Not anymore.
    If you turn your hand palm up and then curl your fingers as if you were holding a bike grip and then look at the area below those two fingers. No curl. The science is so simple and obvious. I wish I'd thought of them.

antigee

i put some ergon grips on a couple of months ago will probably take off – might be bad technique on my part but on steeper downhill (not downhill! but steepish XC stuff like the descents around ladybower which for me are local) i found i can't drop my elbows as much as i would like because wrist doesn't turn down – great on flatter stuff very comfey

glenncampbell

Ergon's are fantastic grips and bar ends – very comfy in use and they really help avoid discomfort on long rides. Well worth a try!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I don't dislike mine, but I wonder if I'd feel the difference more if I took them off now than I did when I put them on, if that makes sense?

Do wish I'd got the ones with the built-in bar ends though

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I borrowed some for the TransWales last year. Didn't get on with them at all and they made my little finger go numb for a bout 4-5 weeks afterwards, which I assume was something to do with pressure on the side of my hand.
    I tries every which way of mounting them, but took them off and fitted normal lock ons as soon as I came home. I won't bother again, maily because they seem to heavily restrict where you can put your hands.

mmannerr

I had Ergon Enduros for last summer but their magic wasn't working for me as they were irritating base of the fingers on each ride.

The best ergonomic grips have been Spesh BG grips few years ago but they were discontinued. Fantastic, just slightly bigger diameter and softer material on the outer part and nice low profile on the inside.
    I can't ride lock-on's as they all hurt the outsides of my palms, fussing about when installing traditional grips isn't much fun either.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ergonomic grips…any good?’ is closed to new replies.