• This topic has 29 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ozzo.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Epic Bogtrotters/ Kentmere fail – pics : (
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Got to Kentmere nice and early and on time. Had done a little facebook update telling people this was going to be my longest and most demanding ride ever! But there were no Bogtrotters, and none either at ride time. There was no cell phone cover so didn't really know what to do. I had bought a map the day before, so thinking that I knew where the ride was meant to go, I just thought well no idea what has happened but went for the ride anyway.

It got off to a good start up and then steeply down some technical bridleway

And then the pushing started.

Pushed all the way up from the bottom of this valley, for what seemed like a good few miles.

Pushed all the way up to here and beyond

Finally had some phone cover and received a text, somewhat belatedly, telling me where they were parked up. They had decided to meet in a different town/village.

And then the descent was way beyond me so carried down to a stone wind shelter, and had some sarnies.

I was on a bit of a downer, and thinking that going on up to High Street may be beyond my abilities, so seeing this long and undulating and tasty looking singletrack, thought I would give it a go, and head back to Kentmere

But that proved beyond me too so had to push all the way down again.

Finally made it down into the valley where there was a rideable bridleway.

Someone had left an innertube dangling on a farmer's gate, so took that with me.

So yeah, nice photos but I must have gone the wrong way round as that huge push would have made an awesome descent. Might have to go back and tackle High Street in the summer if I can find someone or a group to go with.

So yeah, no SFB, no totty and I am sure Simon will be posting some epic looking photos from an incredible day for riding. Oh well. Just got to chalk this one up as a bit of exercise up in the hills.

I was going to do another natural route on Tuesday, but I think I'll just do Ae and have some bermy fun.

sc-xc

Nice photos, and I love your attitude. There's many that would have though 'f*ck it'

simonralli2
    Free Member

Yeah, to be honest I am not skilled enough for a lot of the rocky stuff, and also not too confident map reading as I have not really done it. But there seemed to be quite a few walkers around which gave me a bit of confidence should I have got lost.

I started off with quite a confident attitude but given that I was also carrying downhill to the point of where I had lunch, and as it was seriously windy there, I guess I would have needed someone to give me the encouragement to try and get to Highstreet and then on from there, but it was looking seriously far on the map and I thought it is always best to bail if not feeling too confident about things ay? Best to live to tell the tale.

knottie8
    Free Member

Nice pics indeed.

colnagokid

Ive done that ride by myself too! (Didnt meant to tho) 😯

pennine
    Free Member

I think you may have come down this 🙂

The shelter is just visible.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Yeah – that's definitely the shelter. I was coming at it from the east.

lowey

Yeah, you ascended Harter Fell from the top of Gatescarth Pass.

plumber
    Free Member

Its not unknown for boggies to change plans at the very last minute but I have always found SFB to be reliable.

When I return to the UK I'd be happy to show you around kentmere/garburn etc

Plum

grumm
    Free Member

Not sure what route the Bogtrotters were doing, but you were going the 'right' way round. You would normally go over Gatescarth down towards Haweswater where instead you went over Harter Fell. At least you missed out the really nasty carry from Haweswater to the top of Nan Bield.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Grumm

Yeah – I saw a biker going down that route but yeah, figured it was best not to lose altitude and also at that stage I didn't know what the descent would be like.

I was following an email SFB had sent a couple of days ago with a rough outline of the route. Am sure it would have been ok had I made it High Street but there you go.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

hey Simon – sorry, the ride leader changed the venue at short notice, and claims he never got your emails 🙁 I emailed you and texted you about it but obviously unsuccessfully 🙁

simonralli2
    Free Member

No probs – I sent him an email using the form on the website but there you go. At least I know I have the ability to get out there on my own and just try stuff. Think I'll still stay closer to home this week at Ae and Mabie before the big one next weekend.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Southlakes
    Free Member

Well done Simon you always welcome to come out with South Lakes Group and we do stop at cafes unlike the Bogs!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and we do stop at cafes unlike the Bogs!

us too, just not every ride :o)

firestarter
    Free Member

looks lovely theres me thinking of gisburn or a skipton ride tomorrow but those pix look great 😉 mmm

simonralli2
    Free Member

Mick

Hi – here's the complete set of photos if you want to have a quick look at the views:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/sets/72157622417431324/

The ride was meant to go on to High Street and then down to Troutbeck and then back across to Kentmere. I was told by a walker that those final tracks would be much easier to ride but I bottled it.

Also, the bridleway from Nan Bield would definitely be rideable by someone enjoying technical riding – it was just that I am not a technical rider. I am sure many people here would have had great fun with that.

And yeah, always love the photos on the South Lakes Rides! However, my STW Forum ride at the Stanes now beckons, and then it's Dartmoor for me.

Oh and SFB – seems to be a photo posting fail there at time of writing!

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers simon i will have a gander 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

seems to be a photo posting fail there at time of writing!

huh, I tried a different way – I can see the pic. Try clicking it.

Kit
    Free Member

Try clicking it.

Nope. Requires a log in to zumo drive.

What a day today 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

here you go:

Southlakes
    Free Member

Look like it was nice day to do High Street, did you go up or down Park Fell Simon?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

did you go up or down Park Fell Simon?

Staveley, Staveley Head Fell, Black Beck, Longsleddale, Gatescarth, Harter Fell (!), Nan Bield, Mardale Ill Bell, Park Fell, Limefitt, Dubbs, Mickle Moss, Sawmill Cottage, Staveley

boxelder

Simon,
    Looks like a standard Gatescarth, Harter Fell, down Nan Bield ride.
    It's mostly rideable……

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

down Nan Bield ride.

no, we just went across it. You my be able to ride down Harter Fell. I was not.

boxelder

I meant the other simon – though I have ridden down Harter Fell, on a CX bike, just before getting up for my cornflakes.
    😆

Southlakes
    Free Member

So there should be some interesting photos of the Bogs come down Park Fell on the Bogs website later on this week!

simonralli2
    Free Member

SFB – did many of your guys ride up Gatesgarth? Is that what I had to push all the way up? It seemed way more of a killer than the waterfall we pushed around at Skiddaw.

Boxelder – yes – I did say that Ye Riding Gods of STW could cycle down Harter Fell, but I couldn't. I am not that technical rider. Am sure plenty here though would have fun the way it slithers steeply like a snake for the first section.

ozzo
    Free Member

The 1st piccies of what you missed are here:- http://gallery.me.com/theaustins946#100449

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Epic Bogtrotters/ Kentmere fail – pics : (’ is closed to new replies.