Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Enough whisky – recommend me a rum
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I keep a bottle or two of whisky in the house and have the odd glass. A bottle tends to last about a year and a half, and one is now perilouly close to empty. Normally, I'd have a look round the shops and see what fine malts are on special, but fancy trying rum for a change. Not your standard "..and coke", OVD, Morgan's etc but something a bit different, so what's your recommendation?
    I didn't even know there were this many different types of the stuff

Cheers

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Sailor Jerry for a tasty spiced rum, or Wray and Nephews for stupidly overproof, but still tasting good.

uplink
    Free Member

Woods

Keva
    Free Member

the rather unfortunately named Mount Gay is the best one I've tried but I've only ever bought from the supermarket/offy. Even travelling through central america a couple of years ago I didn't come across half that lot listed.

I've tried that Sailor Jerry one listed but the one I had was a lot darker than that, about 54% and had blue in the label.

Kev

coffeeking
    Free Member

I normally like rum but sailor jerry stuff makes me wretch a little inside when I drink it.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Cockspur – bloody lovely stuff

edited to add, yes, Mount gay, forgot that – also bloody lovely!

UncleFred
    Free Member

Mount Gay – noooooo!!!!! Cheap, mass produced Bajan rubbish.

You can buy it in 3 Litre bottles for $12 here.

If you want a decent sipping rum try Pyrats or if you want to spend a bit more Pyrats XO

Goslings Black Seal Dark Rum is a bit different too.

wors

151 from the dominican 👿

bent_udder
    Free Member

Another vote for Cockspur, although as an old dinghy and yacht racer, I pretty much grew up drinking Mount Gay rum – the company behind it sponsored a lot of racing events.

miketually
    Free Member

A bottle of whisky last you a year and a half? Is it a 10 litre bottle? 😉

BoardinBob

Sailor Jerry is lovely, but after a bottle and a half last weekend (between three of us) it'll be a while before I touch it. The living room stank of vanilla in the morning. 😆

Reign_Man
    Free Member

Mount Gay extra old, or cockspur old gold, pussers if you like a richer taste.

JamesM
    Free Member

Mount Gay, Special Reserve is often said to be one of the best sippin' rums in the world.

Appleton Estate VX is my personal favourite and Cockspur Fine next.

Wray and Nephew's White Overproof (63% vol) is the top selling rum in Jamaica. I find it an aquired tatse.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Angostura 1919

or…

Anything from Mauritius! Green Island or Flamboyant

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Mount Gay? Pussers? Cockspur? It'll be an on-line order then?

Thanks, I'll have a look at the reviews on that there boozers web site

Keva
    Free Member

wors… we used to have a 1.5litre bottle of Bacardi 151 and began calling it the elephant tranquiliser. If we ever had a bit of a party going on and someone started to get lairy we'd give 'em a glass of that to drink and within 20mins they'd be fast asleep.

Kev

4130soul
    Free Member

definately go for Appletons estate, try the reserv. or mount gay.

4130soul
    Free Member

and my recommendation, whatever you buy try it with some Jamaican ginger beer, niiiice!

JCornford

Mount Gay Extra old is lovely (also known as special reserve I believe), the standard Mount Gay you get is Eclipse, it's ok but nothing special, Cockspur Old Gold is also worth a try, I lived off this stuff in Barbados where you can buy it in gallon bottles. Both of these variants may be quite hard to get hold of over here though, they tend to only import the cheaper versions unless you hunt around on line, unfortunatley my 1.5 litre bottles of both are almost empty. Easier to get hold of and very nice is Appletons VX, I think even Morrisons do it.

They are my favourites but I prefer gold rums, if you like white or navy runs then I can't really help.

Are you planning on drinking it neat, with ice or with a mixer? If you are planning on having it with a mixer I would recommend Ginger Ale, that's how I have mine.

4130soul
    Free Member

nooooo! ginger beer, not ale
    (though if it were a choice between ale and beer i know which way my palate would be swinging, ale everytime!)

JCornford

I've had it with ginger beer and am not against it, I just prefer ginger ale.

4130soul
    Free Member

and for that i'll raise my glass to you (hic)as long as there's rum in it it's all good

JCornford

Cheers

stratobiker
    Free Member

He keeps a bottle for a year and a half, and now he thinks he wants rum?

Burn him I say!!!!!

😉

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Bundy , rough as a badger's arse and outback inbreds cant be wrong!!

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Bundy , rough as a badger's arse and outback inbreds cant be wrong!!

whyter

I second bundaberg 🙂

wl
    Free Member

Nicaraguan Flor de Cana, but you might struggle to find it here.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

MMMM bundy and coke. I can confirm its nut juice!

chakaping
    Free Member

I'm not an expert at all, but tried quite a few when in Spain.

Came back with a bottle of Ron Barcelao Gran Anejo, which was the best I came across. Very deep and complex flavours, but much more sweet/burnt sugary than whisky.

Nice rum is lovely with a couple of bits of ice.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Havana club rum – all varieties , the three year is great in the hipflask.

Drac

Alnwick Rum I'm not a rum fan but that is a rather nice drink.

clareymorris

I can tell if the other half is drinking Sailor Jerry as soon as I walk through the front door………..I can smell it from there!!

lucky
    Free Member

vote no. 2 for Flor De Cana .Nicaraguan rum is the finest !

epicyclo

Definitely Bundy – you can fight all night on just one bottle

aka Bundaberg Rum – distilled in Bundaberg Queensland where the girls are pretty and the guys too p*ssed to notice 🙂

There's a few varieties, but even the low end one is a nice drop if you sip it neat.

rocket
    Free Member

I loved the flor de cana in nicaragua – better than anything we found elsewhere in Central America or Cuba. Found a bottle in spain a couple of years ago and to be honest it wasn't as good as I remembered. Maybe it wasn't 'proper' nicaraguan produced stuff.

As before, Appletons and Mount Gay are pretty good for easy to get rums

disco_stu
    Free Member

mount gay extra old gets the vote from me tho i'm quite partial to morgan spiced rum as well.

i bought a bottle of it when i had a tour of the distillary on barabdos and sampled about 4 or 5 different aged rums from 1-25 years, the difference between the rums was quite an eye opener

MrSmith
    Free Member

Angostura 1919

lovely stuff as is the angostura 7 year old (not inferior just different)
    english harbour is my current fave.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Enough whisky – recommend me a rum’ is closed to new replies.