Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Enlighten me about…. squash shoes
  • nicko74

I reckon it’s about time to change up my old battered K-Swiss tennis shoes for some proper squash trainers, if only so I don’t get chucked off the more snobby courts for not having non-marking soles.

I’m having a bit of a ‘mare knowing where to start, tbh – Asics squash range seem to have weird arches; Mizuno feel a little cheap, and finding any in-store to try them on is a bit tricky. Oh, and it’s not crucial, but they all look a little ‘special’.

Any pointers appreciated! Ta

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Have a look at Yonex’s range, I’ve found them to be really good.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Decathlon or Dunlop

Albanach
    Free Member
    Gordy
    Free Member

No particular make our model I’d recommend. No idea what would fit you. But you could just get some “normal” trainers with non-marking soles.

I had proper squash shoes for years but I don’t bother now and I never notice the difference.

flebby
    Free Member

Mate at work used to play squash at national level in his native land and has always sworn by prince. Nothing jazzy, just the pretty basic looking dark blue with white soles. I bought some for badminton – amazing. Never going back to yonex.
    [/url]

RustyMac

Prince, yonex, asics and mizuno make decent squash shoes, but in then end it is what fit you best. go try them on and see which feel comfiest. You can go down the route of standard trainers if you still feel the look too special for you, but depending on how you play you could end up going through the toe of a standard trainer pretty quickly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rusty Mac, good advice.

I use Asics and love ’em. They feel like they just want to move around on their own!

andywill

I use Asics & have to say they are excellent compared to the old school option (which I used for many years). The arches do seem a bit prominent but I never notice them once I start playing. They fit my foot very well & have good shock absorbtion.

Gordy
    Free Member

No particular make our model I’d recommend. No idea what would fit you. But you could just get some “normal” trainers with non-marking soles.

I had proper squash shoes for years but I don’t bother now and I never notice the difference.

sam_underhill

+1 for Prince here. Just the Prince NFS Indoor 2 model, they are very light despite looking a bit cumbersome. Really surprised me. I’ll definitely be buying another pair when they are worn out.

P20

Hi-tec are usable but cheap and won’t last. Asics are the most comfortable and the best built. Adidas offered the best grip. All IMO

nicko74

ooh, excellent – I’ve come to the conclusion that a pair of Asics will probably be the ticket, so job’s a good’un. Thanks for the advice!

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve been through numerous Prince NFS II shoes. Although cheap and comfy, they wear out very quickly – on top of big toe and on base.
    My current shoe is the Adidas Stabil 7 http://www.just-rackets.co.uk/Adidas-Shoes-Adidas-Stabil-7-Squash-Indoor-Court-Shoes-BlueWhite-2819.aspx , which are far better. More support, better spring and have lasted well over the Prince shoe and still know real signs of wear.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Personally I use Asics Gel Rocket, but I very nearly went with the Adidas shoes. Just came down to price in the end.

frosty
    Free Member

Adidas squash shoes are the best for longevity and among the most normal looking. I’d recommend the stabil range.

Prince shoes won’t last very long at all especially if you have any foot drag of note. However they did feel more pliable to me.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The stabil range are interesting, comfy if you have odd shaped feet, I couldn’t get on with them at all.

There is a bit of a running joke about the ‘Adituff’ material around the toebox being next to useless. I went through a pair in less than a month of playing 2/3 (mens county premier league standard, so I should know what I’m doing!)

Stick with Asics, Prince or the decent end of the Hi-Tec range. They are by far the better options. And just buy the one that fits you best. Make sure you simulate some squash movements in them in the shop too, as something that feels great to walk in can feel pretty nasty when moving round a court.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Yonex here.

nickname
    Free Member

Asics Gel Rocket – I find them very comfy, and excellent grip, not a bad price too.

silkstream
    Free Member

Asics are much more comfortable and better value than the Adidas Stabil!
    Hmm everyones game is different as is their feet!
    Maybe you should give the professionals a call for some squash footwear advice.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Enlighten me about…. squash shoes’ is closed to new replies.