Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Enjoy work?
  • matt303
    Free Member

I worked developing video games until recently when I had one of those “do I want to be doing this in 5 years time?” moments. The constant pressure to work long days and weekends ( without extra pay ), lack of any meaningful bonuses anymore and smaller and smaller input into the games as teams became massive meant it was time to get out.

Packed job in, had interview a couple of days later, got new job, worked with these people before, more varied work, small team, pay just as good and normal work hours 🙂

You only have so much time so you need to find something you love to do or develop a healthy work and life balance.

Bazz

I used to love mine, i reckon that if i’d won the lottery 5 years ago i would have kept on working, but now, whilst i still enjoy the work i do, management seem to be hell bent on making sure that no one enjoys their job, new shifts suck and the murdoch/government propaganda machine spend alot of time digging us out. If i could walk into another job tomorrow or if i won a substantial amount of cash i’d be gone in a heartbeat.

Trekster

Started out as a motor mechanic and now a factory maint tech.Same job fixing machines for 33yrs come Nov. Moved around a bit as factory site down-sized over the years, 1400 employess to 350 now!! Worked shifts for most of that time which has allowed me to spend time with the kids and pursue other interests over the years. Qualified as a swimming teacher and helped run a school swimming club for 16yrs. Through some of my school & NHS contacts I now help out with teaching kids how to ride bikes (Bikeability/cyc prof)and helping 1 school set up a club in the next month or so.

jp-t853

I love mine, I feel upbeat driving/cycling in to work in the morning. I have had jobs in the past where the opposite is true so a bit of balance probably makes things feel better.

I am an accountant by profession but work more in sales now and my colleagues are a big part of the enjoyment factor.

stayhigh

I work nursing forensic psychiatric patients on a rehabilitation ward. There is an element of humdrum to it as there is with everthing and yes some days are hard, challenging, stressfull, upsetting or just plain shite.

The rewards of seeing the people I help look after make genuine progress in rebuilding shattered lives is huge and keeps me going back into work everyday.

Over the last 12 months there has been a lot of difficult times on the ward I work however I am fortunate to work with a great team of people who all look out for each other.

Sometimes its the little things that mean the most

frogstomp

You can’t tell at all! 😉 :mrgreen:

Stuck in a job/career that no longer interests me, with no idea what else to do instead. I stick with it because it’s financially rewarding, I’m down to a 4 day working week and it allows me the time and means to do the stuff I do enjoy…

loddrik
    Free Member

What work…. 🙁

grahamg
    Free Member

Ditto – unemployed + conservative govt = angry. It’s like holding a mirror up to the early 80’s and 90’s! It’s OK though; Gordon said no more boom & bust and that is a comfort.

hammerite
    Free Member

I work in sales, selling training courses, software and consultancy in a fairly niche area. I don’t particularly like working in sales, but it can be good at times.

It used to be good fun, was probably 60% office based, 40% out and about, so a nice mix even though it sometimes encroached on personal life. Now times are hard we don’t invest in things that lead to me being out meeting customers, we don’t even invest in marketing or developing new courses/products. So as you can guess it’s getting more difficult to sell (some of our offerings are out of date and no longer relevant and we’ve not updated/replaced them). Everyone I work with are nice people, but not very inspiring. It’s incredibly frustrating, and I find myself doing less and less work while I’m here.

Pay used to be excellent, but I’m not earning anywhere near as much commission. Basic pay is decent though so I still earn enough to be getting on, hours are also very convenient meaning I can pretty much plan to do whatever I like out of work time with little worry of it encroaching.

So I’m at a bit of a crossroads, as to whether I try to get a job at a new company which may not pay quite so much, or have convenient hours. Whether I just jack it in and try to do something a bit different, more rewarding (but again probably less pay). Or whether I sit it out in the hope that things start to get better.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Enjoy work?’ is closed to new replies.