Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • enduro 5th element shock problems
  • renton
    Free Member

IM having a problem with the ifp valve on my 5th element shock on my enduro.

im trying to inflate it but as soon as i stop pumping on the pump the pressure is dropping straight away.

ive tried 2 different pumps and the affect is the same??

Ive also taken the valve out of the shock body to see if there was anything blocking it and its clean ??

The main shock body pumps up fine and does not leak??

anyone come across this problem before??

cheers

steve

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Yes.

It can be remedied by a Fox DHX 5.

XXX
    Free Member

the valve core needs tightening….

renton
    Free Member

ive tightened the valve core and no different??

talk to me about the dhx!!

declan123
    Free Member

have u read up about "stuck down" its a problem for some air shocks in the winter or just in general cold tempratures dosent let the shock inflate either by not moving or air escaping

if you have the chance to go a fox shox then i would recomend it in my opinion they are the best on the market customer service is good they work realy well go on the fox website here will tell u all you need to know

XXX
    Free Member

try inflating underwater see where the leak is

renton
    Free Member

how much should i be paying for a 2nd hand dhx 5 air shock then???

Bosh
    Free Member

I broke 3 of these in the space of 6 months. Specialized kept replacing them then after the 3rd one I asked yo' be upgraded to a DHX as the next years (2006) biked had the fox shock. I was told that specialized had a stock of the 5th element units left and would only "fox me up" when they har run out. So I agreed to pay the price difference (about £100) and they upgrade me. I decided on a DHX 5.0 coil and the difference was incredible.

As 5th eleny have piled out of the MTB Market getting spares may be tricky.

Search eBay/STW etc for a 2nd hand fox is my suggestion.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Try TF Tuned. They've supported 5th Element shocks for years and know them very well.

The DHX Air isn't a wholly successful solution IIRC, you might be better served sourcing a DHX Coil or even the 5th Element coil shock fitted to the 2005 SX Trail models.

renton
    Free Member

well ive tried inflating it underwater as XXX suggested an it seems to be leaking from the end of my shock pump 😀 .

however ive managed to get some air into the ifp chamber and the shock now seems as bouncy as ****!!!

i might give tftuned a call in the new year as £80 to have it serviced is a bit cheaper than buying a new fox shock!!

renton
    Free Member

has anyone got an idea how all the shock spacers go into the frame as they all fell out when i took the shock out of the frame before i had chance to take note on where they went???

AndyPaice
    Free Member

the narrower of the two conical spacers fits with the flat back against the shock eyelet. the wider spacer then fits between the frame and linkage with the narrow end pointing outwards. They are a PITA to get back in, so stick the wide and narrow spacer together with a dab of grease and hold one in place with the mounting shaft. get the other pair in place (I find its easiest from underneath) and then try to align everything and push the bolt shaft through.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘enduro 5th element shock problems’ is closed to new replies.