Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • ENDOMONDO
  • kurvz
    Free Member

Anyone on here using Endomondo ?

coogan
    Free Member

Yes.

jam-bo

Probably. Strava is better.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes

druidh
    Free Member

Yep.

the_lecht_rocks

Yep

millcar
    Free Member

Yip

beardie
    Free Member

was, am but almost a strava convert

retro83
    Free Member

What’s the benefit of strava over endo? Seems like everyone is using it now.

kurvz
    Free Member

Yeah I would like to know that as well ?

coogan
    Free Member

I also request such information.

ivantate
    Free Member

Just started. Not sure whether to try the pro version.

maxray
    Free Member

i use endomondo… so what makes Strava batter??

nick3216
    Free Member

strava is the latest bandwagon

ScoobysM8
    Free Member

The unique selling point of Strava is the segments and their leaderboards. They are addictive. Other than that it’s no different from Endomondo and the rest.

joat

I’ve nearly burned 100,000 calories on my endomondo account, so I’m not going to move now.

millcar
    Free Member

Detail…

Been using endomondo for 18mths. Variable success some is phone based i’m sure (Samsung Galaxy) but overall its fine. Tried a separate GPS tracker (ONYX) and upload to MapMyTracks and save as GPX file. Upload to Endo. This has worked pretty well but TBH is a pain in the ass.

Is Strava the answer?

Northwind

I use it… It can be flakey though, doesn’t track particularily well (it’s not too obvious til you turn on the “pause when not moving” thing) and the altitude numbers seem all to cock (it’s always reporting that loops have got more climb than descent for me, which is a good trick- I should ride them in reverse)

But still, it’s good enough that I’ll not be changing unless something dramatically better comes along, not just gimmicks.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Strava is very addictive, I’ve only just started using it in the past few weeks, and I’ve transferred all my data from Garmin Connect. Strava shows a lot more detail of the rides compared with Garmin.
    Does anyone know how phone battery life compares between Strava and Endomondo?

kurvz
    Free Member

Endomondo on my HTC Desire HD was a bit hit or miss as my phones GPS goes Awol now and then resulting in some strange stats , so I now use Endomondo with the Baby Garmin Edge seems to do everything I need 🙂 cheers btw

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Been using endomondo for about a year now, accurate enough for me on my old HTC desire . Bought the pro version to support the developer. No real advantage to having the pro version really.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

does strava use gps or phone signal for location tho?

ChrisE
    Free Member

been hit and miss for me so given up on it (for now) and using everytrail.com which works much better and is great for photos etc.

C

jam-bo

does strava use gps or phone signal for location tho?

Is that a genuine question?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes – its in one of the mags that it replies on a phone connection for location

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Phone signal used for assisted gps? Quicker to initially locate phone. Or maybe for live tracking like endomondo?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Quote from MBUK this month “The only downside we cold find is that it operates from your phone’s GPRS (as opposed to true GPS), so drop out of mobile signal and it will struggle to continue mapping”

kurvz
    Free Member

Thats what happened to me , I kept losing signal works fine on Sat Nav in the car but not reliable enough for the bike hence the Baby Garmin Edge I got that runs flawless and battery power is x20 more than my power hungry Desire hd lol

boltonjon

joat – Member
    I’ve nearly burned 100,000 calories on my endomondo account, so I’m not going to move now.

Like!!

If your riding somewhere remote like Snowdon or Exmoor, then Strava won’t work.

Considering getting a Garman and will upload onto Endomondo – will make the altitude more accurate and less chance of your phone messing up

kurvz
    Free Member

joat – Member

Seeing that Ive just checked mine Calories burned: 301828 kcal

Total distance: 3883.99 mi going for 5000 miles this year I did exactly 2000 last year so im on Target

fbk
    Free Member

I’ve just started using strava – it is fun having the segments as it adds another element to end of ride banter. It’s not desperately accurate but strangely addictive!

The gprs quote from MBUK is completely rubbish though (who’d have thought!). I use strava with the phone set to flight mode (everything but gps off) and it works just fine. You only need phone reception to upload routes and compare times etc.

druidh
    Free Member

Calories burned: 619417 kcal

😀

hugor
    Free Member

Garmin devices work with both Strava and Endomondo. I use both. You don’t need a smartphone with either programs.

druidh
    Free Member

cruzheckler – Member
    Quote from MBUK this month “The only downside we cold find is that it operates from your phone’s GPRS (as opposed to true GPS), so drop out off mobile signal and it will struggle to continue mapping

Yeah – like lots of phone apps (including Endomondo) the map tiles are downloaded as you need them. No phone signal means no mapping. It still records your location though. If that’s a direct quote then someone at MBUK needs some education.

meehaja
    Free Member

mine lost a segment of ride for the first time on friday which was annoying. I have an HTC desire and run the GPS with the internet on (as this seems to be the only way to get satelite connection) Is there a better way?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Both apps seem great for slow riding point-scorers/wannabe racers as far as I can see.

😛

druidh
    Free Member

meehaja – Member
    mine lost a segment of ride for the first time on friday which was annoying. I have an HTC desire and run the GPS with the internet on (as this seems to be the only way to get satelite connection) Is there a better way?

You do NOT need the phone on for a GPS satellite connection. If you have the phone on when you switch GPS on, it will use the phone connection for an initial/rough approximation of your position. Assisted GPS will help get you that first fix. After that, the phone part is only used to (a) download mapping or (b) upload your position in real-time.

In any case,as I’ve repeated here often, a mobile phone is a useful safety/recovery aid. Running down the battery using as a GPS is not sensible 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Still sore at me beating your calorie total last June Al?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was never sore about that!

Just waiting for you to update us all on “Sportives are races” after you’ve ridden a road race…you should ace it with all that free time to train?

druidh
    Free Member

Meh – I’ve hardly been riding at all recently. I finally got the van finished tho!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘ENDOMONDO’ is closed to new replies.